Allison Automatics

• 1 month later...

Back to the automatics for a second. We had to dump the ATF and replace with synthetic fluid and then try to get an extended warranty on our granite ten wheel dump W/automatic trans. We also fought the dealer for the bigger motor, instead of the 350 we got the 427 or was it the 460 I'm not sure. I can tell you it a hell of alot nicer to have the bigger motor working with that automatic 460 sounds right. and oh yeah gotta try to forget about going for that clutch pedal when you come to red lights and stops. Almost embarrassing kind of!!

Edited by mackdumper

its a dirty job why do i like it so much?

and life ain't easy,when your fat and greasy

How about some real numbers from you guys that have allisons in a vocational (dump) truck. I'd like to know what mpgs you are getting and what kind of miles (city, highway, hills, flat, etc.). Also how well does it pull the hills compared to other trucks. In my area (W. Pa) there is a Granite and a CL with Allisons and they seem pretty impressive. My only concern with the mpgs comes from a conversation I'd heard at my mechanics concerning these trucks that the fuel mileage was better than what I'm getting in my pick-up (12mpg) is this possible in a tri-axle dump or doesn't somebody own a calculator? I've been passed by the Granite like a freight train going by a ho-bo on a long grade. I have a 460 with 15 speed.

autos burn more fuel than a standard trans....i own a fleet of garbage trucks in NYC....half auto half manual....they burn aprox.10 to 15% more and go thru brakes twice as fast a jake does nothing for it...im lookining into a brake saver that goes on the driveshaft and has electromagnets inside..when you relese the accelorator it slows the truck

:clock_logo:

• 11 years later...
On 12/2/2006 at 5:48 PM, AutomaticMack said:

I have a quad axle 85 R686st with a HT 750DRD Allison. Mack and Allison make for a very strong set up !! It's a blast to drive on and off road. However I would stay away from those auto-shifts for any off road or dump truck use. With the older Allisons make sure your modulator cable is adjusted properly and change the fluid regularly.

If and when I ever buy a new dump it would have an Allison. :chili::SMOKIE-LFT:

What was the axle ratio on your truck ?

• 4 months later...

Well hopefully this thread isn't too old and sorry for hijacking it, as this seems the best place to go... anyways... OK so I have a project that I'm building maybe my last truck, at-least one that going to last me for years and years, its a Ford F-800 4 door 4x4 divorced transfer case, my plan is a DT 466 engine now the hard part is what transmission, was thinking 8LL but have been reading about the Allison HT 750's in which brought me to this site... so which is it? with all your knowledge of shifting, and the Allison what would be the pro's and cons' of either tranny... feel free to post about the transmission you would use in this situation if its different than the 2 I've decided to choose from.

20 hours ago, Great Nate said:

Well hopefully this thread isn't too old and sorry for hijacking it, as this seems the best place to go... anyways... OK so I have a project that I'm building maybe my last truck, at-least one that going to last me for years and years, its a Ford F-800 4 door 4x4 divorced transfer case, my plan is a DT 466 engine now the hard part is what transmission, was thinking 8LL but have been reading about the Allison HT 750's in which brought me to this site... so which is it? with all your knowledge of shifting, and the Allison what would be the pro's and cons' of either tranny... feel free to post about the transmission you would use in this situation if its different than the 2 I've decided to choose from.

Introductions are in order for first timers, Welcome!

Nice project,  Automatic would be the way to go over manual to it. The HT740/750's are way to much trans for that engine, total over kill. MT or HT 640/650 series are even big. You would be looking for the older cable shift trans, no electronics for simplicity. There are several different ratio 4 and 5 speeds to chose from. You do get one more speed out of them when the converter locks up so a 4 acts like a 5 and so on. There are usually government rebuilds for sale on the net. Prices are all over the place.

Second approach, school bus DT466 & Allison trans would be more what you need and easy to find as a unit with electronics.

• 4 years later...

Thinking about buying a 1981 Mack R Dump Truck. Has an E6-350 Engine & an Automatic 4-spd transmission with an auxiliary transmission. The aux trans has a lever in front of the auto trans shift selector. On this lever is a back & forth black switch, the top of the lever is round & says Spicer Air Shift & the numbers 1,2,3,4.Does anyone know how to properly use the aux trans in conjunction with the auto trans? And what trans manufacturer might this trans be? Allison or Maxidyne? And are these auto trans durable & reliable?