Fuel Gauge

I have a 2000 Vision and the fuel gauge has stopped working. I have replaced the gauge and I have replaced the sending unit. I have followed the wires from sending unit into the dash and have found no breaks or corrosion. The gauge will register for the first thirty seconds (on the money) and then drop to "E" like it lost power. Any help would be appreciated.

:pat:

:SMOKIE-LFT:

does the gauge have a ground to it? I know on the R models the fuel gauge needs a Hot,ground and signal wire. Lookig at the back of the gauge it should have I,G,S (ignition, ground, signal)note make sure they are all connected and the ground is clean. If you can remove the gauge wire it up next to the fuel tank and test it by moving the float with you hand. If it works normal like this this look into the trucks wireing for the problem.

Trent

Figures. you will have to go testing to find what each terminal is for. once you know what terminal does what hook it up directly to the sending unit and test the range of the gauge. if it works normal hooked directly to the sending unit. then I would test the wires in the truck. you may have a bad ground,signail wire, or hot, hopefully its just a louse plug...

Figures. you will have to go testing to find what each terminal is for. once you know what terminal does what hook it up directly to the sending unit and test the range of the gauge. if it works normal hooked directly to the sending unit. then I would test the wires in the truck. you may have a bad ground,signail wire, or hot, hopefully its just a louse plug...

The fuel sending unit wires go to the VECU (ECM in passenger side kick panel) first then comes out of the VECU and goes to the dash cluster. Usually if there is a wiring problem between the fuel sending unit and the VECU it will set a code(yellow lighting bolt).

• 10 years later...