11/22 Morning Call

Its funny that for the 1st quarter and possible some in the 2nd quarter will be the technology we have today.

All manufacturers are trying to build as many engines in 06 so they can sell them in 07 before going to the DPF setup. I'm wondering if Vikner and the other big wigs from Mack would take a pay cut, so that other families working on the line could stay on. :clap:

As a Volvo stockholder, I'm ticked off- instead of folding their tent and giving up, Volvo management needs to offer the customers better deals and sell the benefits of the new technology. Those workers are going to be needed when the market recovers, and it's stupid for Volvo to kick them out now. Volvo is also ignoring other markets that are booming, like oilfield service trucks. Surely within the parts bins of Mack, Volvo, Sisu, and Terberg they could find the parts to build the oilfield specials that are in hot demand worldwide. Lets see- we start with tripled 9 mm. framerails from the Granite, dual steering axles from Terberg, and rear hub reduction tandems from a Volvo articulated dumper. Then the MP7 with the 10speed deep reduction Maxitorque, and plop a Granite cab on top.

Or if that's too much for Volvo 3P to handle, just let the Volvo and Mack dealers carry the Terberg line- the Volvo engine already meets US emmissions standards, so the rest of the requirements should be pretty much just paperwork.

Well I shure hope they get hired back on in the next year if things pick up again. Its better to admit to the times then suprise the workers on a friday afternoon. its not good but you get my point. Last month a mack dealer in IA contacted my friend and offered to buy my friends R model that he had listed localy LOL. I guess they had a diehard R model owner looking for a solid reliable truck? Im noticing more and more "special" trucks on the road. it looks like westernstar has alot of the trucks used to pull railway maitence cars,looging, and oilfield trucks. I wonder why mack hasent stepped up to the plate for those markets. besides leading the garbage and mixer market it seams as mack has lost the intrest of the other specilty fields?

trent

Well I shure hope they get hired back on in the next year if things pick up again. Its better to admit to the times then suprise the workers on a friday afternoon. its not good but you get my point. Last month a mack dealer in IA contacted my friend and offered to buy my friends R model that he had listed localy LOL. I guess they had a diehard R model owner looking for a solid reliable truck? Im noticing more and more "special" trucks on the road. it looks like westernstar has alot of the trucks used to pull railway maitence cars,looging, and oilfield trucks. I wonder why mack hasent stepped up to the plate for those markets. besides leading the garbage and mixer market it seams as mack has lost the intrest of the other specilty fields?

trent

I wonder too. It is a nich market but Mack did play in that field a while back with their M series and the short lived cl350 logger. Heck didnt they have their own planetary axles too? I saw a Mack RD888SX logger with 110K Mack rears on it and steel hood, beautyful piece of machinery. Kenworth and Western Star have the speciality markets all to them selves.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I sometimes wonder if Volvo top management has been snowed in too long and can only see variations on their F/N cab series cruising up and down immacculately paved highways.

Out in the real world, the market for oil field service trucks is going nuts- 10 year old trucks are selling for more than they sold for new. The railroads have all the business they can handle, and are embarking on a building blitz- those Western Star and Peterbuilt "high rail" trucks are showing up on tracks everywhere. There's no reason Mack can't build a better tri-drive chassis for the railroads. Heck, Volvo could even return Mack to the rails with a Volvo powered reincarnation of the Budd RDC (Rail Diesel Car)!

But Nooo...