Allis Chalmers 3500 Diesel

fjh

As my topic suggests I'm looking for valve set specs for this engine !

I am currently working on this engine and have determined it needs a valve set as it has no valve lash to speak of at the moment.

I have the fuel pump off as well at the moment being, rebuilt It would be nice to get the timing number on this unit as well, if there is anyone here on the site with some specs on this

I really would like to hear from ya When I removed the pump I set the engine on 25 deg btc and the drive key was at 12 oclock when the drive gear was removed!

Thanx!

Fred

Fred:

Would that engine be the 426 c.i., turbocharged 175 HP unit? If so, I might suggest that you contact Bill Johnson, The Executive Director at the ATHS. His email address is bill@aths.org.

Best regards,

John

Thanx John

Quite possible

The engine is not in a truck or tractor, its in a Genset, I'm not sure of its HP but your description looks close ,6 Cyl turbocharged ,I got chucked in the middle of the job cause the younger ones only now the computerized things,Anyway while removing the valve cover to verify just where the engine was in its cycle I noticed that the valves are very tight And would like to verify the proper set on these before I reinstall the lid as the parts are extremely hard to buy for this thing we had to buy a whole engine rebuild kit to get a valve cover gasket for it.

I second John on this,best to contact the ATHS library,they just did an article in the last "wheels of time" magazine all about Allis-chalmers truck engines,and listed many factory brochures/maunals used for reference specs.,I.D.,different variants etc...................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

FP Diesel (Federal Mogul) has a pretty extensive line of parts for Allis Chalmers. Here's the link to the catalog: http://www.fme-cat.com/digiPub21/FP_Diesel_-_Heavy_Duty_Engine_Parts_and_Kits/index.htm. I'm sure I had seen somewhere on one of the aftermarket parts places websites that they had several specifications listed, but haven't been able to find it. Wait...think I just did. Try here: http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/7/176-allis-chalmers-d21-engine.html

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

FP Diesel (Federal Mogul) has a pretty extensive line of parts for Allis Chalmers. Here's the link to the catalog: http://www.fme-cat.c..._Kits/index.htm. I'm sure I had seen somewhere on one of the aftermarket parts places websites that they had several specifications listed, but haven't been able to find it. Wait...think I just did. Try here: http://www.tractorda...d21-engine.html

You da man

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/7/176-allis-chalmers-d21-engine.html

Now all I need it the injection timing and that aint no big deal I can wing that if I have too!If I couldn't find nothing I was going to set the valves @ 10 just cause I'd rather have something rather than nothing!

Pump Should be coming back Tuesday!

Cool

Thanx Bro!

You da man

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/7/176-allis-chalmers-d21-engine.html

Now all I need it the injection timing and that aint no big deal I can wing that if I have too!If I couldn't find nothing I was going to set the valves @ 10 just cause I'd rather have something rather than nothing!

Pump Should be coming back Tuesday!

Cool

Thanx Bro!

Hi Fred - Does your motor have a Bosch or Rotary Roosa-Master Pump and Fuel system, or the in-line Pump. I found the timing is totally different when I had to change one over.They seem to vary from 30deg to 34deg BTDC, depending which pump and what machine they are on. If it is on a Generator on constant revs it may be different to a front end loader. My book has a cold tappet setting of 18thou and a hot set of 15thou. Regards - Michael.

Hi Fred - Does your motor have a Bosch or Rotary Roosa-Master Pump and Fuel system, or the in-line Pump. I found the timing is totally different when I had to change one over.They seem to vary from 30deg to 34deg BTDC, depending which pump and what machine they are on. If it is on a Generator on constant revs it may be different to a front end loader. My book has a cold tappet setting of 18thou and a hot set of 15thou. Regards - Michael.

Thanx mike that helps loads I will likly be puting the pump back on this week That cold set is just the ticket I can set the valves after the pump is on!I have spoted the engine on 25 and marked the housing in hopes of keeping it in the same spot!The pump is a standyne / rosamaster pump You can tweak the pump on the fly with these I beleive But hope to have preserved the original set!I'll run it thru a valve set before I start it as I beleive part of its problem is there is no valve lash! Hopfully there are no burnt valves!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx mike that helps loads I will likly be puting the pump back on this week That cold set is just the ticket I can set the valves after the pump is on!I have spoted the engine on 25 and marked the housing in hopes of keeping it in the same spot!The pump is a standyne / rosamaster pump You can tweak the pump on the fly with these I believe But hope to have preserved the original set!I'll run it thru a valve set before I start it as I beleive part of its problem is there is no valve lash! Hopefully there are no burnt valves!

Well boys Finally got the machine back to do the re install of the pump its all together and she runs like a champ I set the valves at 17 or so and timing at 25 and she lit right up. The customer is totally happy with the job.Thanks for all the tips ! Apparently the timing advances to 8 degrees after starting so that would put the engine right in that 34 range you spoke of, Mike!