Oil In Coolant

John Paul

Any ideas?

Usually the "O" rings in the engine oil cooler are leaking internally. Easy to repair in an afternoon.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Usually the "O" rings in the engine oil cooler are leaking internally. Easy to repair in an afternoon.

Rob

Rob it may have a plate type cooler Not quite as simple as an oring job but almost! Would be guessing at the cooler as the failed part thou!

Rob it may have a plate type cooler Not quite as simple as an oring job but almost! Would be guessing at the cooler as the failed part thou!

Thanks Fred, I know little about an E7 or later engine but on the E6 series, this is a relatively common problem and easily repaired.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yea cooler is bad. Replacing it in the morn. What should I use to flush oil from cooling system? Someone advised cascade. Would this hurt anything?

It works great. Be certain to flush the cooling system a couple times before recharging with a 50/50 mix of low silicate anti-freeze solution. Distilled water is best to use, or deionized water will suffice. Don't use tap water.

Rob

Let me add somthing that may help and may not. I have seen alot of oil in the coolant problems thru the years and some was repair or all i guess but if the coolant system ant clean free from oil its going back in a shop some were and that dealer may spend hundreds of dollars looking at something no more than the oil was not clean properly in the first place. Bad thing is no one knows this untill its flushed again and sent out for a few days to prove the work. The worst place i find that the oil hides in the coolant is heater coil and rad. So in the past years i take my time and cover front of rad and turn on heater and run for awhile. If you can keep rad covered it will keep the thermostat open and the soap will flow thru the rad better. In a cold rad oil is not flushed. You can have a engine running at 180 degrees and may not move any coolant thru the rad core.Because the thermostat never opens and omly run thru the block. So i have been creating a small leak some were on the coolant system and keep engine running withe the rad covered and drain coolant and at the same time adding fresh water. When the draining water is clear but still hot then drain down and add antifreeze.Also change coolant filter.

glenn akers

I know its a little more work but ive found best results is flushing with the t stats out , i usually use spic and span but more or less the same thing , One thing i was tought a long time ago was when ever you have two substances mixing together always think of it like this, what has more pressure the water pump or the oil pump , so whichever has more pressure is going to mix with the other , like when you have a trans cooler on top of the trans with coolant running through it when it fails the water pump makes more psi than the pump in the trans so the trans fills up with coolant , there are exceptions to that rule when you have coolant in the oil from liner orings or coolant in the fuel tanks but thats another thing , thats just my way of thinking

Edited by Stingray698

I know its a little more work but ive found best results is flushing with the t stats out , i usually use spic and span but more or less the same thing , One thing i was tought a long time ago was when ever you have two substances mixing together always think of it like this, what has more pressure the water pump or the oil pump , so whichever has more pressure is going to mix with the other , like when you have a trans cooler on top of the trans with coolant running through it when it fails the water pump makes more psi than the pump in the trans so the trans fills up with coolant , there are exceptions to that rule when you have coolant in the oil from liner orings or coolant in the fuel tanks but thats another thing , thats just my way of thinking

Bad thing about pulling the thermostat is the coolant now will only circulate the block around and around and very little is forced thru the rad.Wate will go thru the lest resistint

glenn akers