Core Plug Problem:

Rob

Tonight I discovered a small puddle of coolant under the R612. Further investigation reveals the core plug behind the starter motor is leaking through the threads. I'll have to see if the Snap-on, or Matco dealer has the needed tool to remove the plug as I don't have one.

How hard are these usually to get out with the engine in the truck? I've removed them before but it's always been on the floor and I've warmed the block with a torch.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Tonight I discovered a small puddle of coolant under the R612. Further investigation reveals the core plug behind the starter motor is leaking through the threads. I'll have to see if the Snap-on, or Matco dealer has the needed tool to remove the plug as I don't have one.

How hard are these usually to get out with the engine in the truck? I've removed them before but it's always been on the floor and I've warmed the block with a torch.

Rob

Are you installing a block heater in the hole or are you reinstalling/replacing the plug?

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Rob, I know this may sound strange but, heat the core plug up a little and take a candle and melt around the core plug threads and let it cool. Then you can tighten the core plug up a little more and usually stop the leak. The last time I did this I used one of the wife's sented candles. worked great.. Until she found out about it. Did remove that funky mack smell from the cab for a day or two though.

b61fred

15 gears...no waiting!

Are you installing a block heater in the hole or are you reinstalling/replacing the plug?

The block heater is in the next hole forward of the one that is leaking. I would like to either reinstall, or replace this plug depending on it's condition after removal. The engine is an out of frame major, but I have no idea the length of time since the work was performed.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The block heater is in the next hole forward of the one that is leaking. I would like to either reinstall, or replace this plug depending on it's condition after removal. The engine is an out of frame major, but I have no idea the length of time since the work was performed.

Rob

I always took the old one out with a large snapon draglink scocket and if that will not move the a punch and hammer.Clean threads in block good and there is a o/ring on that plug.

glenn akers

I always took the old one out with a large snapon draglink scocket and if that will not move the a punch and hammer.Clean threads in block good and there is a o/ring on that plug.

Hi Glenn and thanks. I can't say I remembered the "O" ring on the plugs. It has been years since I had one apart and time does take it's toll on the memory banks........

Rob

Thats is what i used but i rounded the corners off to get the raidis i needed to match the plug.i had to heat mine to get it out. Ron

Thats is what i used but i rounded the corners off to get the raidis i needed to match the plug.i had to heat mine to get it out. Ron

That is exactly what I used and did with my "former" tool. I had it until loaning it out without return.

Rob

Did remove that funky mack smell from the cab for a day or two though.

b61fred

Fred,,,I don't know of any candle that can remove the smell from his truck :blink: . You could rub all the aftermarket crap in the cab and hang a real pine tree from the mirror (if there was room) and still be driven to nausea and watery eyes due to the vapors that will peel ceramic from a cast iron tub :wacko: . The last time I rode with you guys I rode in the bed remember? I even sat on the passenger side so as not to be downwind. :lol:

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Fred,,,I don't know of any candle that can remove the smell from his truck :blink: . You could rub all the aftermarket crap in the cab and hang a real pine tree from the mirror (if there was room) and still be driven to nausea and watery eyes due to the vapors that will peel ceramic from a cast iron tub :wacko: . The last time I rode with you guys I rode in the bed remember? I even sat on the passenger side so as not to be downwind. :lol:

Now let's be fair and explain to those that weren't there:

1: It was 96 degrees with the sun setting low in the sky and humidity matching.

2: We had been on the road for most of 17 hours with no air conditioning in the "Trusty, Yet Crusty, Dodge".

3: I hadn't had a shower or bath in three days prior due to still healing from "Momma" taking both the "boys" off with a single swing.

4: The antiseptic paste was sticking to my legs, and turning green, (at least on the edges) although was still greasy feeling.

5: We had stopped for dinner at "Taco Delight" two hours prior and I was feeling like I was gonna pop.

6: I didn't smell nothing. It's all in your mind.

Rob

Rob did you ever get on that diet and try to lose some of that weight?

Another of my prevalent and miserable failures in life.........

Diets never work for me.

Rob