Noob With First Mack Vision Need Help Understanding

I JUST PURCHASED A USED 2003 VISION THAT WAS A SLEEPER AND CONVERTED TO DAYCAB AND A 3600 GALLON SEPTIC TANK SYSTEM MOUNTED. ITS A VERY NICE RECONDITIONED 400,000 MILE TRUCK. MY PROBLEM IS THIS IS THE FIRST MACK I HAVE OWNED AND THERE IS A RED O WITH A X THROUGH IT THAT COMES ON AND BUZZES THERE IS A SWITCH ON THE DASH WITH THE SAME DESIGN ON IT. I JUST PICKED IT UP THIS MORNING IN MIAMI AND IT CAME ON 5 TIMES ON THE 8 HOUR TRIP HOME SOMETIMES FOR A MINUTE AND ONE TIME FOR 20 MIN. ALL FLUIDS ARE FINE AND ALL GAUGES ARE NORMAL BUT WITHOUT A MANUAL I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ALL THE THINGS ARE FOR. I ALSO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE GEARS GRINDING ESPECIALLY WHEN DOWN SHIFTING IS THIS NORMAL? CLUTCH IS FINE. sORRY IF I RAMBLED ON BUT I HAVE ONLY OWNED FORD F750S AND NEVER HAD A TRUCK LIKE THIS. THANKS

I JUST PURCHASED A USED 2003 VISION THAT WAS A SLEEPER AND CONVERTED TO DAYCAB AND A 3600 GALLON SEPTIC TANK SYSTEM MOUNTED. ITS A VERY NICE RECONDITIONED 400,000 MILE TRUCK. MY PROBLEM IS THIS IS THE FIRST MACK I HAVE OWNED AND THERE IS A RED O WITH A X THROUGH IT THAT COMES ON AND BUZZES THERE IS A SWITCH ON THE DASH WITH THE SAME DESIGN ON IT. I JUST PICKED IT UP THIS MORNING IN MIAMI AND IT CAME ON 5 TIMES ON THE 8 HOUR TRIP HOME SOMETIMES FOR A MINUTE AND ONE TIME FOR 20 MIN. ALL FLUIDS ARE FINE AND ALL GAUGES ARE NORMAL BUT WITHOUT A MANUAL I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ALL THE THINGS ARE FOR. I ALSO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE GEARS GRINDING ESPECIALLY WHEN DOWN SHIFTING IS THIS NORMAL? CLUTCH IS FINE. sORRY IF I RAMBLED ON BUT I HAVE ONLY OWNED FORD F750S AND NEVER HAD A TRUCK LIKE THIS. THANKS

The red "O" with the "X" through the middle is the low air annunciator, and the buzzer accompanies it!! Either you have a problem with an air leak, or the compressor is bad, or a bad switch. If the air is in fact low while driving, the brakes with start to apply at around 40 psi or so. You should have a pressure gauge in the dash, how was it reading? Did you notice the air pressure on either the red, or green needle showing low? You should not be able to get the spring brakes to release until at least 60 psi on the gauges.

Rob

You are correct as the red annunciator lamp is in fact a circle with three arrows pointing to it, my apologies. I haven't been around this newer stuff much and I did in fact think it had an X through the circle. Oh well, they say the mind is the second thing to go.....

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have a 20 speed two stick. I find that every gear has a mind of it's own and only wants to be shifted at it's own certian point. For instance, taking off with no load in high 1 which would be 4th going to hi-2 you double clutch and wait a bit then shift about the same for hi-3, then you double clutch and wait a little longer for hi-4, for hi-5 you double clutch, tap the throttle and shift quick. Down shifting 5 to 4 you just tap the throttle and shift, 4 to 3 let it lug to 900 rev it to the max and shift, 3 to 2 rev a little at 1200 and shift rev a little more from 2 to 1 and thats only 5 gears. If you find it grinding, don't force it, let out the clutch, hold the shifter with just a little pressure on the gear you want and slowly rev the throttle, watch the tac, it will drop right in at the right rpm, if it doesn't your not on the right gear. You always will miss a gear when another truck is next to you, or pulling into a pit or truck stop. Shift in the dark on back roads for a while!!!

The red "O" with the "X" through the middle is the low air annunciator, and the buzzer accompanies it!! Either you have a problem with an air leak, or the compressor is bad, or a bad switch. If the air is in fact low while driving, the brakes with start to apply at around 40 psi or so. You should have a pressure gauge in the dash, how was it reading? Did you notice the air pressure on either the red, or green needle showing low? You should not be able to get the spring brakes to release until at least 60 psi on the gauges.

Rob

I was thinking it was pressure but both needles were between 120 and 140 psi everytime. is the switch with the same symbol just a bypass button? I am trying to locate a manual for the truck. I appreciate the help Im going out now to check it out there might be a faulty sensor somewhere.

Here's a scan of the dashboard symbol explanation from a CL manual, this may help.

11_11_0.jpg

As far as the shifting difficulties, every truck has it's own personality and you have to get comfortable with it.

The bottom line is that the engine RPM's must match the road speed for the gear you're shifting into.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

"The red "O" with the "X" through the middle is the low air annunciator, and the buzzer accompanies it!!"

Actually the low air indicator is a small circle with 3 arrows pointing at it. The "O" with an "X" is the shut

down indicator hence the button with the same symbol which reads "shut down override".

Actually the low air indicator is a small circle with 3 arrows pointing at it. The "O" with an "X" is the shut

down indicator hence the button with the same symbol which reads "shut down override".

the button doese not read anything or I would have figured that part out. The low air light actually says LOW AIR but I did find it a little low on water when I checked it this morning. and it has not gone off again and thanks to all of you for your help. I actually figured out the shifting and although I have not perfected it I am doing better. I will list a pic of it when I figure that out too. Thanks again Will

post-953-1163286767_thumb.jpgpost-953-1163286793_thumb.jpgpost-953-1163286809_thumb.jpgHere are the pics of my 2003 Mack vision. It was a sleeper but converted to a day cab and refurbished. It has a 3600 gallon tank for septic pumping. I have it all figured out and actually did 2 service calls this afternoon. Thanks again for all the info.

Slopoke: Very nice looking CX. One of the septic pumpers up this way claims "No. 1 in the No. 2 business"

Mackboy: If you see the images dark, I would bet your monitor is failing, We went through that on our old computer. It made viewing most pics very difficult, unless they were taken in a very bright room or in very bright sunlight.

T.

Slopoke: Very nice looking CX. One of the septic pumpers up this way claims "No. 1 in the No. 2 business"

Mackboy: If you see the images dark, I would bet your monitor is failing, We went through that on our old computer. It made viewing most pics very difficult.

T.

I think he is talking about the shadetrees, good looking truck, but in the sunlight i bet it would realiy shine

Thanks for the feedback I will get better pics tomorrow I live in the woods so the shade doese make a difference. I was going to take some today but my wife told me she was going to pack my bags if I touched the truck at all today so I had to finish the roof on her porch. As far as the sayings Ours was at one time "Your Sh%@ is our bread and butter" and it always "SMELLS LIKE MONEY" :blink: Thanks Will

Hey what about "Yesterdays Meals on Wheels" :lol:

post-953-1163385606_thumb.jpgWell the whole reason I bought the Mack was Three weeks ago I was loaded comming off a Island doing about 40 in my 2001 ford f-750 with a 2500 gallon tank when a guy in a 97 ford explorer fell asleep at the wheel and hit me head on and I rolled the truck. They put us both in the same ambulance and I remember the EMT telling the guy he got the Sh?! knocked out of him. and the local news headline was"Overturned truck causes stink in the lowcountry" Nothing spilled so that was good. I like the :mack1: alot better.

WOW!!! You were lucky there. I think you'll fare even better in the Mack next time something like that happens. Not that I would put that on anyone.....

BTW...Nice rig!

Oh, I suppose you tell everyone that asks........."Ya, I had a crappy day" LOL!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Yeah I didnt plan on the last wreck but that is why i bought a larger truck. I have had it for one week now and love it other than the gears grinding but its going tomorrow to have the clutch adjusted and the clutch break adjusted since Mack said thats the problem. Anyone know where I could get a used Visor cheap for the truck I would like to dress the truck out soon. Hey " A royal flush always beats a full house"

Must be something about crossing the centerline to strike "honey dippers"! I had to leave the ATHS show in Auburn, IN in June of '05 to help with this one. The Dodge dulley crossed the centerline, and struck the Paystar. The Paystar rolled over onto its right side, then onto its top and came to rest on its left side, all the while doing a 180 degree turn facing the direction it was coming from up against a tree.

post-45-1163734839_thumb.jpg

post-45-1163734936_thumb.jpg

post-45-1163735099_thumb.jpg