Broken Trunions

JD 5020

Hey guys, need some help. I was looking at a B61 and both trunions were cracked. The front and back of the trunios were cracked ¾ the width. The truck is a tandem road tractor, winch, fifth wheel and fairly short wheel base; what would have broke both of these? Was the truck just worked hard or abused? It doesn’t look too painful to fix these, is it best to replace these or risk it and try to weld them? Anyone have a pair they would be willing to part with, rough price? One other thing, in a 711 if the oil is barely showing on the dip stick how low it is, one two gallons?

Thanks,

Jake

the trunion your speaking of, do you meen both sides the left and the right? It is common for the fabricated trunions to crack down by the load tube they also rust on the inside towards the bottom and weaken as well. The cast ones are deffinatley tougher and less prone to cracking. Someone else here prob has something I left out. All Mack diesels are 1 gal low at the add mark.

the trunion your speaking of, do you meen both sides the left and the right? It is common for the fabricated trunions to crack down by the load tube they also rust on the inside towards the bottom and weaken as well. The cast ones are deffinatley tougher and less prone to cracking. Someone else here prob has something I left out. All Mack diesels are 1 gal low at the add mark.

Well sorta, both sides left and right are broke down by the load tube. If I remember right there looked to be two or three "webs". The front and back webs were cracked 3/4 the way across. Bear with me, im learning as I go and my vocabulary is limited.

• 3 weeks later...