Brought The Winch Truck Inside For A Look:

Glad to hear the problems seem minor.

AND you didn't run out of fuel-PRICELESS

Actually, when I was manipulating trucks around for winter parking spots in the shop, the R795 started to stumble but I shut it off quickly. The tank is once again out of fuel but the engine didn't starve out, (this time). I was already backed into the stall it will reside in. Gotta love it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Actually, when I was manipulating trucks around for winter parking spots in the shop, the R795 started to stumble but I shut it off quickly. The tank is once again out of fuel but the engine didn't starve out, (this time). I was already backed into the stall it will reside in. Gotta love it.

Rob

Hey Rob,

What happens if the engine starves from lack of fuel? My dad once said something about diesel engines running away. He had been a diesel mechanic early in his life but I cannot recall why or what he said about what causes a diesel to run away. Can you elaborate on that and how to eliminate it from happening?

mike

Hey Rob,

What happens if the engine starves from lack of fuel? My dad once said something about diesel engines running away. He had been a diesel mechanic early in his life but I cannot recall why or what he said about what causes a diesel to run away. Can you elaborate on that and how to eliminate it from happening?

mike

In my case one just needs to keep fuel in the tank(s). Starving for fuel is simply running out.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Mike, I would bet the only run away diesel he talked about was a Detroit. They were notorious for it and had an emergency shut off just for that occasion. It was a flapper door to cut the air off, as it would run on the anything leaking into the blower. Of course there was also the issue with the racks, as they were sprung into the "FULL FUEL" mode and if you ran into issues, that is where they went and then watch out!!!!!

I suppose any diesel could run away if undetermined amounts of fuel were introduced, but the Detroit was the most common. Running it dry is just a pain as most didn't have a primer pump(Like the old Macks did).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The old cummins with the single disc and double disc pumps would run off when starved for fuel. They also had a lengthy proceedure to bleed the air out of the system when ran dry.

Yes, That was what my dad was talking about. He worked for Cummins Diesel for a short time back in the mid-fifties. I think he was partial to the Cummins Engines. I barely recall him saying the Injectors or pump was easier to service.

Thanks Guys

mike

I know this is a very strange thing to say on this web-site, but I feel led to tell ya. My dad has been passed for several years now. Anyway when mom was going through some of dads things, she found a Mack Bull Dog key fob. We cannot figure why he had that and don't know how long he had the fob. Mom was the only person knowing of me buying the Mack. I didn't trouble dad about it. She found the fob and it even surprised her and told me to come and look at what she had found. I have my ignition key on that fob at this time. I guess in dads memory.

Thanks DAD!

mike

I've always named my trucks. "Fred" is my IH R-190 crane truck. "Oscar" was my IH S-160. "Hannibal" was my first rollback truck. "Mutt" was my first Mack carrier. "Herbie" was the M43 tank retriever, (used for righting rollovers). "The 51" is Momma's A-40H, "Snuff", (short nosed ugly fucker) is the B-67ST, "Puss" is the 78 RL755LST, (Cat engine). "Riff Raff" is the 74 RL797LST, and "Tugger" is the R612ST. The yellow B61 is just "Yella Dog" and the other B61 is "Agitation". Finally, the 1977 R795. This truck I plan to call "Instigator", or "Half Breed" due to the Detroit engine and Fuller transmission. My mowing tractor's name is "Hercules", the Allis-Chalmers mower is "Alice", the 57 B61 is "Snoopy" as it

is white with black fenders. My "trusty, yet crusty" Dodge even has a name, simply, "The Black".

I really don't have any problems remembering the names. Seems I have to justify my existence around here often and the trucks are spoken of/about regularly in one form or another.

Rob

you should name one "Big Mama". Sags on the right?..hmmmmm...could have been Laurel and Hardy's old truck. This should go away when you get in it. And lastly, a 6 cylinder Mack isn't really that loud with a straight pipe-not the turbocharged ones anyway.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Yes, That was what my dad was talking about. He worked for Cummins Diesel for a short time back in the mid-fifties. I think he was partial to the Cummins Engines. I barely recall him saying the Injectors or pump was easier to service.

Thanks Guys

mike

What would be more fun? cummins taking off/run-away OR ENDT 675 running backwards?

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian