Freightrain

More progress:

Got the back of cab all welded up,

SDC10826.jpg

Predrilled holes for the bolts for the boot,

SDC10828.jpg

Started on framework for enclosing the front of the bunk in some,

SDC10830.jpg

Got some detail work before I paint the cab. Picking up some dum dum sealer for the boot tomorrow, got stainless steel bolts coming for the boot. Will start on the matching framework for the front of bunk next. I also started on front bunk mounts on frame. Had to pull existing stack brackets off to make room. This coming week should have things moving along again.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, got some stuff accomplished before the big show last night on Speed Channel!

My metal working.......

SDC10840.jpg

Slowly turning into sumthin'

SDC10837.jpg

Matches up to my cardboard template of the back of the cab.

SDC10841.jpg

Back of cab..

SDC10842.jpg

front of bunk..................the opening will be shimmed up about 2" from where it sits....

SDC10843.jpg

I got the outer framework predrilled and pulled out of the front of the bunk. Ready for some primer and bolt it back in permanently. Then I'll mount the inner framework and prime it all. Once it's in for good, I'll drill out the existing rivets around the big opening. I'll get a piece of aluminum cut to fit 1-2" outside the rivet line and re-rivet the new panel in after cutting the new smaller opening. All that will be left to do is rivet around the small opening.

I've got the front bunk mounts propped up in location, just need to get holes drilled and bolted on. I will then cut up my stack brackets to fit around the bunk mounts and get that all put back on. I need to get paint for the back of cab and bunk and once painted I'll bolt the boot on. I got SS button head for the top half as they will be exposed, the lower ones will be self tappers like existing holes.

I'm really thrilled with the way the framework turned out. I was concerned the metal stretcher wouldn't pull the 14 ga material. It took some finesse and some grunting but it did a great job. Only got one tear in the lower corner which I was surprised it pulled it around that tight. I was expecting to cut the lip off and cut/weld one back on once I bent the corners. I gave a shot and low/behold it worked. Another milestone.

Larry

Larry,my compliments! thats some nice looking work right there! if seen a few add-on sleepers adapted to a B-model,and to be kind, they were kinda' "boogered up" but your job is sure a nice one! i have done a little sheetmetal/fab work myself,but never had much luck/practice with a stretcher,at least not the compound curves you ended up with,i always "cheated" a little,and kinda' nipped out the bend corners so they would follow the contours better,but must say i'm impressed!.....Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Gotta tell you though this is the FIRST time I ever used a stretcher and was really going on a wing/prayer and figured if I screwed it up I would just get more material. Strange enough it went really well. Like I mentioned I didn't think the stretcher would work with 14 ga material(like .072 thick)but with persuasion and lots of grunt it moved it fairly well. Just pull, move it slightly and pull again, repeat.

My original thought was if I could just get the top radius I'd cut/paste the rest and weld on a flange from some 16ga material I have. Well, as I went, it went well so I just kept going. I had my cardboard template to follow so I just kept easing up on it. Only pull a couple times, check, pull a couple times, check, repeat. Easier to sneak up then have to use the "shrinker" LOL!! Did learn as I go and was pretty confident as I started the lower piece. That one I was sure I would have to cut/bend and weld in corner. With some work I got the first lower corner done, with only one small tear in the material (easy to weld up), the second corner went well and didn't tear. With template and centerline marks to follow I knew how much I had to go.

I'm surely no expert and don't want to brag about any of it. It's turning out decent, though it won't win any prizes. I'm lucky,nothing has to match "exact" and most won't be seen once it's together. I wish I had a big roomy shop and plenty of light to work, but I don't so I do with what I got. It's comparable to working in an old one bay shed with a 100watt lightbulb LOL! There is literally just enough room to squeeze by on each side.

Love to make Macungie someday. With the longer legs, it might be an easier trip. Fuel costs is the other issue with today. I plan for my racing and any other is up to the budget. I will be at South Bend.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

Well, more updates this weekend.

Got the tin work started on the bunk:

SDC10845.jpg

Had to make a hole in the middle so I would be able to get inside and mark for small opening. My work area is too narrow to open side doors on bunk

SDC10847.jpg

Ready to drill for more rivets

SDC10848.jpg

Got the stack brackets clearanced to fit around bunk mounts

SDC10846.jpg

Then got things painted up under bunk area. I need to get some silicone to seal up the new skin on bunk and then rivet it up tight. After that it's ready for "final assembly". Wow.....never thought I'd say that LOL!! Still plenty of work, but the next big step will be done.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Well, more updates this weekend.

Got the tin work started on the bunk:

SDC10845.jpg

Had to make a hole in the middle so I would be able to get inside and mark for small opening. My work area is too narrow to open side doors on bunk

SDC10847.jpg

Ready to drill for more rivets

SDC10848.jpg

Got the stack brackets clearanced to fit around bunk mounts

SDC10846.jpg

Then got things painted up under bunk area. I need to get some silicone to seal up the new skin on bunk and then rivet it up tight. After that it's ready for "final assembly". Wow.....never thought I'd say that LOL!! Still plenty of work, but the next big step will be done.

Hi, neat job. I gotta do mine yet, been avoiding it.

Grant

Well, it's painted and slid up to location ready to be bolted down. Got pics to post when I get time to download them.

I got my "new" used spin on oil filter housing. Got it ready to bolt on tonight, so I'll get pics of that too. With that, I'll be able to start it up and move it if need be. Need to get it outside/around other side of garage so I can do a bit of welding for generator brackets.

Got new air bags put on this past weekend so that's all finished up. Took some real searching to come up with replacement bags. Seems mine were obsolete and had to get ahold of Firestone to come up with replacement version.

Larry

Larry,

Sure looks like an expert job, well done. You can use my garage if you need some space. :lol: I have enough room for a cab and thats about all tha room I have. All my parts taken off the Mack are all around the truck, lying on tha floor. The driver door is still on at this time but, will need to come off soon for some inner bead blasting where the lower morror bracket is at.

Can't wait to see photos of your truck.

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, should be at SB without too much hassle(ya, right).

After fixing the leaking oil pressure line I fired it up and got it out again to be able to sweep up the mess around/under it. Still a long way to go with little stuff, but getting there.

SDC10858.jpg

Larry

Well, after working in the rain Saturday I got a few things done. Got the generator mounted up on the drivers side and the battery box welded on the passenger side. The bunk is about ready to bolt down for good after I make a few metal bushings this week. It sat out all night in the rain and no leaks around the boot(ya!). Have to do some finesse on the rear fender mounts this week so I can get them on. Nothing has been an easy bolt on, everything needs cut/welded/machined/refitted, etc, etc, etc, etc,

SDC10862.jpg

SDC10863.jpg

Only have a couple more weeks to get this done for good(at least the outside). Will take some time to get the interior stuff done(like making panels and covering them with matching vinyl).

Larry

"Bunny" posters?? Um, well, don't think the g/f will be too pleased to have to look at "that" while riding back there LOL!!! It's more her room then mine unfortunately. She says she'll drive, but don't think we have the time to get anywhere in FIRST gear only LMAO!!!!

Larry

Looks great so far! glad to here the boot is not leaking,always seemed to be problematic on every truck i've owned/driven with a separate bunk....thats gonna be quite the truck when you get er done!.......Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I give her ALL the credit...........she's spent 4-5 hours bounc'n along(in that little jump seat) to where ever I'm heading with nary a noise(can't hear over the exhaust/motor anyway) LOL!! She even asked to watch DUEL one night right after we met. Bonus points!!!!!

She's a keeper for sure!

Larry

I give her ALL the credit...........she's spent 4-5 hours bounc'n along(in that little jump seat) to where ever I'm heading with nary a noise(can't hear over the exhaust/motor anyway) LOL!! She even asked to watch DUEL one night right after we met. Bonus points!!!!!

She's a keeper for sure!

Did ya say boner points?

mike :pat:

Tadaaaaa......

SDC10864.jpg

Finally got it finished up enough for a road trip today. I didn't take the trailer, but did hook up to make sure all the electrical is still up to snuff. Truck rides really nice, no squeaks/rattles and doesn't buck you around anymore. Can't wait to really stretch the legs on the highway as I only got up to about 55 mph on the road out from the house. It's a speed trap anymore so I didn't want to push my luck running it out. Still some little things to finish up, but overall the big work is FINALLY done. Can you hear the sigh of relief in my voice?? LOL!!!

Larry