Another Big Mack Sale

I hear that they are having some paint problems over at Mack, any truth to that or just rumors? I do know that one of my Concrete customers had some paint prob. and Mack took care of them. The trucks by the way are running great an the drivers love em!!

BULLHUSK

Quick question seem there are some Mack employees here? The truly heavy spec truck 65,000 rears and 23,000 pound front.. we ran RD888sx's for years the granite has taken its place but rumor at local WorldWide Equipment dealer Mack is possibly planing a replacement for the RD possibly without the DPF for us to use off road here in the coal fields is that possible/any truth ?????

I hear that they are having some paint problems over at Mack, any truth to that or just rumors? I do know that one of my Concrete customers had some paint prob. and Mack took care of them. The trucks by the way are running great an the drivers love em!!

BULLHUSK

Yes on the paint problems. We are having issues with trucks that are ordered with a custom color. The hood and cab come out 2 different shades/colors.

Yes on the paint problems. We are having issues with trucks that are ordered with a custom color. The hood and cab come out 2 different shades/colors.

Different paint lines are prone to that. Computer batch matching has closed the ratio of mismatch but it still happens especially with heavily silver weighted, and some mica flakes containing colors.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Quick question seem there are some Mack employees here? The truly heavy spec truck 65,000 rears and 23,000 pound front.. we ran RD888sx's for years the granite has taken its place but rumor at local WorldWide Equipment dealer Mack is possibly planing a replacement for the RD possibly without the DPF for us to use off road here in the coal fields is that possible/any truth ?????

Not to my knowledge. The only non DPF in the US is for the military.

• 1 month later...

Pitt Ohio plans on buying 80 more Pinnacles this year.

15 of those will be equipped with the M-Drive transmissons. initial reports on these have been positve and Pitt Ohio feels much of the cost will be offset by fuel mileage, savings on clutch replacements ( we run tractors 1,000,000 miles and average 2 clutches per tractor) and the grandaddy of them all, driver satisfaction. The 750,000 mile warranty doesn't hurt either.

Those 15 will also have aluminum rims on the steers. LARGE CAR here I come, WOOHOO! :D:pat:

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Ward ordered 25 new Pinnacle's. I've only seen them drive Internationals.

post-334-0-71149200-1336792242.jpg

Excellent, but what's the deal with the bumpers? The ends will not hold paint. We had one delivered 3 weeks ago that is losing it's paint and another one is peeling after encountering a hail storm with 133 miles on the odometer.

Jim

Excellent, but what's the deal with the bumpers? The ends will not hold paint. We had one delivered 3 weeks ago that is losing it's paint and another one is peeling after encountering a hail storm with 133 miles on the odometer.

The ends are plastic. Some of the bigger fleets like UPS get the metal powder coated. it tends to hold up better.

15 of those will be equipped with the M-Drive transmissons. initial reports on these have been positve and Pitt Ohio feels much of the cost will be offset by fuel mileage, savings on clutch replacements ( we run tractors 1,000,000 miles and average 2 clutches per tractor) and the grandaddy of them all, driver satisfaction. The 750,000 mile warranty doesn't hurt either.

Those 15 will also have aluminum rims on the steers. LARGE CAR here I come, WOOHOO! :D:pat:

I've seen a few new ones lately, but none with MDrive yet.

Photo05180645.jpg

Photo05180645_1.jpg

Jim

The ends are plastic. Some of the bigger fleets like UPS get the metal powder coated. it tends to hold up better.

What is the plastic composition? TPO? If so it takes very special precursors to make paint stick to that "oily" plastic.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

this pitt ohio truck is ugly.. its unfinished.. look at the gap from the bumper to the wheel? does anyone look at the finished product anymore? sad.... im sure its got good reviews and MPG etc.. but it sure needs alot of help in the looks dept

Trent, I think the plastic bumper end caps are either not installed yet, or have been sent back for rework due to lack of adhesion of the paint. Kind of a common problem experienced by all manufacturers.

Rob

this pitt ohio truck is ugly.. its unfinished.. look at the gap from the bumper to the wheel? does anyone look at the finished product anymore? sad.... im sure its got good reviews and MPG etc.. but it sure needs alot of help in the looks dept

There were pics on the Hank's site last year showing of Pitt Ohio Pinnacles at the dealer, some with and some without the extensions, but all were were eventually installed. As Rob said, they may be working on a solution but the paint adhesion has been an issue since the first Pinnacles were purchased in '08. I'm surprised to see that 4 years later the problem stil exists.

Jim

There were pics on the Hank's site last year showing of Pitt Ohio Pinnacles at the dealer, some with and some without the extensions, but all were were eventually installed. As Rob said, they may be working on a solution but the paint adhesion has been an issue since the first Pinnacles were purchased in '08. I'm surprised to see that 4 years later the problem stil exists.

Thermoplastic polyolefin is damned tough to paint in a production type atmosphere. A couple pieces at a time the success rate is much greater due to control of parameters. Constant of the same parts I'm not so certain and apparently the producer is uncertain also.

Rob