What A Time It Was... What A Time It Is!

Speed,

I also own nice 361 Brock. I've thrown out the idea on the Brockway Web about getting all the guys making repro grills,fenders an any parts, what ever is out there, and form a web site for one stop shoping!! Well needless to say....I got no feed back none, zilkch, nodda, so like a Gypsy in the night i will prevail.

BULLHUSK

Hey ernie,do you remember a few years back some guys did try to keep brockway parts going,it was some old brockway factory guys that got together,put all their money up to try and make it work,seems to me they were out around lancaster,PA just was'nt any market for it at the time. I called them,(this was late 80's i think) and they had an entire warehouse full of NOS parts! big seller was hoods and fenders.....some guys have tried a couple times to get diamond reo back in the game,they were never successful either.....i seem to remember somebody up your way was trying to do something with reproduction autocar parts,never heard any thing much else about it,thats a shame too,there was so many autocars in north jersey at one time it was unreal!........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Mark,

I think? the guy in PA. was Cook Bros. or Cooke's or something like that?

Ernie DS

The guy that is delivering my R600 is currently restoring an antique Brockway and I'm anxious to speak with him.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

:SMOKIE-LFT:

I went to the local KW dealer looking for an old style clear-with-glitter KW shift Knob for my BroncWorth,and the parts man couldn't even find a mention of it. He didn't even know who MIGHT have 'em. I think his words were something like,"Wow-damn,I can't even remember the last time I had to find parts for a truck that ran THAT kind of transmission!" A couple of days after that,I was helping a friend pull the engine/trans. out of a '48 GMC pick up,and it had just what I wanted in the glove box. :twothumbsup:

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

If I had only realized then...I'd have bought a truckload of 'em and put them in the deep freeze!

30 years ago you could walk into any truckstop and they had dozens and dozens of gear shift knobs on the shelf,all shapes,colors,and sizes. Now you just can't find them or they're outrageously expensive.

I had 2 red glittery ones,one was in the top of my toolbox and I put one on the transfer case lever on the mud bogger. The guy I sold the bogger to gave it back to me when I asked him if he'd sell it to me, and I put both in the mixer.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

It's not just Mack or dealers. (Although I had to wait 2 weeks for rocker cover gasket for my DM). It is computers. Parts countermen used to have hands on knowledge of what they sold,most were floor mechanics who moved to the parts room. Now you move from fast food to parts. Add in bean counters who look only at what moves the fastest and that is most of the problem. We had a few real auto part stores here,Napa and Devo both who used not only computers but REAL CATOLOGS!!! Both out of business. I spent the better part of Monday trying to buy a dozen 1/2 i.d. star washers The new parts stores had no idea what it was because it wasn't in the computer (plus I think last week the counter help was working at Mac Donalds) I went to the Mack dealer...after showing what a star washer was.....I heard the phrase " It's not in the computer, whats it for?" "It's for the ground straps on a 1969 Mach DM" "we don't stock any parts for that old a truck" "than look it up for a 2009 Mack." "whats it for?"

Well long story short...I pointed to the Bowmen cabinet and said there are the washers I need on the top rack, I left without them ,I couldn't be billed because they weren't in the computer......... but hey do you want fries with that??

That's exactly why I hate Advance Auto Parts! You can't even buy a generic type item without a serial number for something!

I tried to get a battery for an MTD mower once, but didn't have the serial number. The parts guy threw his hands up and said "I need that,there's a thousand different batteries!" So I threw my hands up and said "they don't even make a thousand different batteries" and

left the other items I had picked up on the counter and went across the street to Western Auto. Told the man what I needed and he went and got one off the shelf.

Pretty much the same deal as when I stopped at a different Advance store to get a headlight for the truck,and told them it was for the spaceship I was building in the backyard.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Trent,

What's the point then?

As for the lawsuit, here's a link: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2010/09/air-pollution-railroads.html

thanks for the link dan...

the point was when he said "go left on Dundee Rd" I did not have to ask 3 times "WHAT WAY!"

I dont talk on the phone when driving but do have a nextel..... beep,beep

"30 years ago you could walk into any truckstop and they had dozens and dozens of gear shift knobs on the shelf,all shapes,colors,and sizes. Now you just can't find them or they're outrageously expensive."

These days it seems like it takes a concentrated search to even find drivers that can drive anything with two sticks! And the people working the registers at the truck stops don't even know what you're talking about when you ask them where the shift knobs and extensions are. Sheeesh!!

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

"30 years ago you could walk into any truckstop and they had dozens and dozens of gear shift knobs on the shelf,all shapes,colors,and sizes. Now you just can't find them or they're outrageously expensive."

These days it seems like it takes a concentrated search to even find drivers that can drive anything with two sticks! And the people working the registers at the truck stops don't even know what you're talking about when you ask them where the shift knobs and extensions are. Sheeesh!!

Speed

Try to buy a neckers knob!!! Found one at HO PENN the Cat Dealer her. Nobody knew what it was for...... :pat:

My oldest son went to Home Depot answering and ad for a Tool Dept sales "person" Eventhough he's worked with ctools most of his life and has been around them his entire life he was not qualified. They didn't want somebody who could sell you the tool and tell you how to use it,or which was best for your needs. They required a degree in marketing! "can't tell you what it is for or how to use it,but I can tell you they have a good advertising dept"...........Oh yeah do you want fries too?"

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Got a email today guys,

Heres how it read, A 3.8% Fed. sales tax will be imposed on anyone selling there home after 2012,this is part of the new health care package (OBAMA CARE). Check it out guys

What A time it is!!! ERNIE

First off, the above is BS... Ain't no home sales tax increase! There isn't even a federal tax on home sales to increase!

Back to parts, had a pleasant experince today at Studevant Parts in Tyler, MN. Needed a low beam bulb for the "new"(2007) BMW motorcycle. 1st person in line was a tech for a company that services diesel gensets, he needed a radiator cap that he didn't have in stock on his big service truck. No problem, the parts lady just takes it, compares to the rest of the radiator caps, and matches it up. Next customer needed a choke cable. Again, she didn't even need to know what it was for, just pulled out a couple and laid them on the counter for the customer to pick out what was needed. After that, my H7 headlight buld wasn't even a challenge!

A good parts man, or in this case, woman, is worth their weight in gold. Studevant Parts in Tyler will now be my 1st stop for parts!

First off, the above is BS... Ain't no home sales tax increase! There isn't even a federal tax on home sales to increase!

Back to parts, had a pleasant experince today at Studevant Parts in Tyler, MN. Needed a low beam bulb for the "new"(2007) BMW motorcycle. 1st person in line was a tech for a company that services diesel gensets, he needed a radiator cap that he didn't have in stock on his big service truck. No problem, the parts lady just takes it, compares to the rest of the radiator caps, and matches it up. Next customer needed a choke cable. Again, she didn't even need to know what it was for, just pulled out a couple and laid them on the counter for the customer to pick out what was needed. After that, my H7 headlight buld wasn't even a challenge!

A good parts man, or in this case, woman, is worth their weight in gold. Studevant Parts in Tyler will now be my 1st stop for parts!

There are still some good ones around. I'm pretty loyal to my local CarQuest store as the personell are much the same as you would want. Parts for my own vehicles are less expensive there than the wholesale trade price. They were, and still are independent owned, leasing the name usage.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

What a shame,

We got guys on this site lookin for parts for F Model cabs !!! are you kidding me!!! Mack does not make parts for these trucks any more. What the hell is going on in America today, I remember as a kid (mid 60's) going to Newark NJ Mack with my dad, you could have bought a set of fenders for a Bulldog for God sakes!!! I guess I should start lookin for donor trucks for my R Model's. I don't Know maybe it's just me maybe I'm old school not up with the times? All I know is this, yesterday my Freightliner Rep. informed me that I can not buy any new Glider kits unless I use a engine that meets 2010 em's.so now why even waste your time any more!! We all better wake in this country an soon!! Tell me if I should sign myself in or if some of you guys out there feel the same way as I do

Thank's BULLHUSK

I feel exactly the same. The first Mack dealer I used (also in the 60's) never had to special order for me. Mack closed at 5pm but in an emergency they would leave parts for me at the Greyhound bus station because Greyhound was open 24 hours. Now I have to wait 2 days minimum for parts plus go in and sign a mortgage on the farm before they will order the parts.

GearheadGRR,

First off let me say this,I realy hate using this site to talk about all the BOLOGNA that go's on in Washington DC. But when I read stuff like this 3.8% capitial gains tax on our homes (when we sell,) on one of my emails it just stings me like a branding iron!!! So the first thing I do is GOOGLE- (3.8% federal capital gains taxfrom new haalth care bill).If you guys do this (GOOGLE)you can read all about it. Again a lot of us out there are home owners, an we realy need to know this stuff! an the only way to find out the truth the whole truth an nothing but the truth is for guys like us to find out on our own CAUSE THAY AINT GONA TELL US!!!

THANKS BULLHUSK

This thread got me to looking closer at my little bit of paradise here on the eastern end of L.I.. Most of the NAPA parts stores are out of business, most all auto wrecking yards are closed due to local laws. The farms around me sell land to keep afloat nd than get there acreage taxed at the same rate as the "developed" land. The powers the be won't let a rail /truck freight line be build were the R.R. and I 495 are only 1/4 mile apart. Gas stations are closing because of unmeetable local requirements for spill containment. Grummans / U.S. Navy property was slated to be keep as a manufacturing site and now is going to be cleared to be a park. Is it this way all over or is it just here? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

This thread got me to looking closer at my little bit of paradise here on the eastern end of L.I.. Most of the NAPA parts stores are out of business, most all auto wrecking yards are closed due to local laws. The farms around me sell land to keep afloat nd than get there acreage taxed at the same rate as the "developed" land. The powers the be won't let a rail /truck freight line be build were the R.R. and I 495 are only 1/4 mile apart. Gas stations are closing because of unmeetable local requirements for spill containment. Grummans / U.S. Navy property was slated to be keep as a manufacturing site and now is going to be cleared to be a park. Is it this way all over or is it just here? Paul

41chevy it must be spreading. There's only one local salvage yard left the other 2 couldn't comply with the regs. We used to have one each Carquest and NAPA stores but both were put out by AutoZone. The remaining bone yard had to put a privacy fence around the yard and had to put drip pan containers under each unit so no oil or fuel gets on the ground. Everyone of our mom & pop service stations are gone so now we have to use Walmart or Quik-Lube for maintenance and use a tire dealer for tire repair. I miss the mom & pop stores because I think service and product were both better and they were my neighbors and friends.

Been to Tractor Supply lately?

Well I needed a ratchet binder last week, an as I see you guys all know there are no more realy good supply stores around !! So I take this made in CHINA (so what else is new right?) binder with 10 ft. of small chain throw it under one of my Plymouths to bring home from my shop in J.C. as I start to tighten it, it snaps in half on the inner part of the threds. Now granted it was a small one but I have ones that were my fathers that are over 40 years old!! but of course I took them out of the trailer when it was at the house an forgot to put them back , But thats another story. DO any of you guys know of any of these big supply stores that sell good US made goods ??

BULLHUSK

Been to Tractor Supply lately?

Well I needed a ratchet binder last week, an as I see you guys all know there are no more realy good supply stores around !! So I take this made in CHINA (so what else is new right?) binder with 10 ft. of small chain throw it under one of my Plymouths to bring home from my shop in J.C. as I start to tighten it, it snaps in half on the inner part of the threds. Now granted it was a small one but I have ones that were my fathers that are over 40 years old!! but of course I took them out of the trailer when it was at the house an forgot to put them back , But thats another story. DO any of you guys know of any of these big supply stores that sell good US made goods ??

BULLHUSK

www.rockfordrigging.com and www.webriggingsupply.com Both places offer very high quality USA produced products, or cheap import stuff but still good quality.

Rob

GearheadGRR,

First off let me say this,I realy hate using this site to talk about all the BOLOGNA that go's on in Washington DC. But when I read stuff like this 3.8% capitial gains tax on our homes (when we sell,) on one of my emails it just stings me like a branding iron!!! So the first thing I do is GOOGLE- (3.8% federal capital gains taxfrom new haalth care bill).If you guys do this (GOOGLE)you can read all about it. Again a lot of us out there are home owners, an we realy need to know this stuff! an the only way to find out the truth the whole truth an nothing but the truth is for guys like us to find out on our own CAUSE THAY AINT GONA TELL US!!!

THANKS BULLHUSK

Capital gains tax has always been there, but the tax is payable only on appreciation in an asset that isn't reinvested. Thus if you sell your house and buy another one of equal value or otherwise reinvest the money, there's no capital gains tax.

GearheadGRR,

THANKS BULLHUSK

Its no differant over here fellas, unless you want a key ring or a tee-shirt its gota be ordered,even for late model macks,half the time it arives and its wrong!the guys behind the counters have never really seen truck parts[only in a book] i blew a simple brake air switch the other day,the kid looks at it and says "never seen that type before" [standard one] so i give up drove the twenty miles home,lost a days work, only to return the next day to order one,got an old school bloke, walks out back grabs me one off the shelf,comes back out and says the all run the same one! W.T.F, he reckons the young bloke just cant be f@#ked lookin for it !!!!

• 1 month later...

Got my new grease pump today !!!!

A $650 Lincoln !!!! made in CHINA !!!!! YES F--kin CHINA !!! Well I sent that sucker right back an bought A Alemite U.S.A. for A couple A bucks more.Then I called Lincoln's customer # an told the guy (why would i pay you $650 when I could buy A Sinjen for $150 built in the same sweat factory yours is built at??) Ya see the thing is, Lincoln's not savin us any money, they build them over there, put Americans out of work an want us to pay a premium for there product. Case closed

BULLHUSK

Got my new grease pump today !!!!

A $650 Lincoln !!!! made in CHINA !!!!! YES F--kin CHINA !!! Well I sent that sucker right back an bought A Alemite U.S.A. for A couple A bucks more.Then I called Lincoln's customer # an told the guy (why would i pay you $650 when I could buy A Sinjen for $150 built in the same sweat factory yours is built at??) Ya see the thing is, Lincoln's not savin us any money, they build them over there, put Americans out of work an want us to pay a premium for there product. Case closed

BULLHUSK

This is actually the way of the world as we know it today. Greed and laziness rule.

I have been thinking that there are some tremendous opportunities for enterprising vendors all over the US to sell nothing but US goods. With the internet, the cost of advertising and exposure is cheaper than ever.

I buy American clothing as much as I can - it's very easy, again using the web. Hundreds of US manufacturers.

I'm sure the same is true with tools, parts, equipment and all sorts of things. We just have to look. And be prepared to pay a little more - but if the quality is the same, the price isn't much different.

The Chinese are simply responding to our extremely low standards. They aren't really wrong - we are - for supporting those vendors who bring us the cheap junk.

We hav a lot of huge social problems - and I believe that one of the real easy solutions is to buy American. Don't just talk about it - DO IT as often as you can.

Paul Van Scott