Proper Ride Height On Hendrickson Air Ride

bubbamobilin

13 minutes ago, BC Mack said:

I think this may have come from our Wiki or a BMT poster... 

BC Mack

sb136012 air suspension[1].pdf

I actually have this bulliten but our superliners only have 9.5 inch tall frames and that document states for frames with 10.47 inches and 11.81 inches. I'm thinking since my frame is not as tall those measurements wouldn't be correct. Agreed? 

So I did measure my superliner that's on camelbacks front rear from the top of rear housing on the left side to the top of the bottom frame rail and that measured 6 3/4 inches. Would it make since to set the air ride truck to the same measurement since it uses the same axle housings and the same frame rails? Again the superliners use a frame that's not as tall as a ch so there for I don't believe there is documentation on the proper ride height for this set up. And I don't think the Hendrickson suspension was ever available from the factory on frame rails as short as ours. 

Yes, it doesn't list a measurement for your custom application.  With a frame depth of 9.5", I would make a height gauge at 5 3/8" as a starting point similar to the ones shown in the pdf.

Have you checked the pinion angles of the rear axles?  Improper driveline angles will lead to vibration.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

1 hour ago, j hancock said:

Yes, it doesn't list a measurement for your custom application.  With a frame depth of 9.5", I would make a height gauge at 5 3/8" as a starting point similar to the ones shown in the pdf.

Have you checked the pinion angles of the rear axles?  Improper driveline angles will lead to vibration.

No I haven't. Not sure exactly how to do that but I thought by getting the correct air ride height it would correct that as well  

It should but this is now custom. If you have the VIN from the truck where the suspension came from or a similarly equipped, the dealer should be able to get you the pinion angle spec.  I have an inexpensive protractor for finding angles but there are digital ones out there too.  Both axles have to be check and usually they are the same degree.  Probably going to be between 1 1/2 to 3 degree pinion up.

On Hendrickson, there are plates for adjusting the angle if needed.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 3 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2010 at 12:35 AM, rhasler said:

Mack says 4 1/4" for 11.81" wide frame rails and Mack AL and AL II air suspension (Hendrickson HA/HAS). Measured with chassis unloaded, at the front axle housing, from the bottom flange on the frame rail to the bottom of the main support member on the spring.

I have a CH with 10" frame and I have read the adjusting instruction on a AL11.I am still mixed up and the dealer don't know here about it.It has mack axles and it say to measure from bottom of frame down the top of spring support.There is one spring leaf and a taper block under the spring on top of the support bracket.If i set the height to 4 1/4 to the support bracket under the taper block I am almost bottomed out on the bags.It I set the height from the bottom of the spring on top of the taper block to the frame that looks more like it.Can one you techs straighten me out.I have read this many times and my son which is still a truck mechanic can not understand it.

glenn akers