Mack Military Truck ?

The open cab design reduced unit cost and complexity. And as you say, in its SKD (semi knocked down) shipping condition, it allowed for more compact dimensions.

The British purchased quite a few Mack trucks prior to the Lend Lease program's enactment in March 1941 through the New York-based British Purchasing Commission. It allowed for Britain to purchase trucks (and aircraft) despite the isolationist U.S. neutrality acts of the 1930s.

Under Lend Lease, the British received 2,782 Mack NM-5s and NM-6s (valued at US$8,500 each). A total of 7,236 NMs (of all series) were produced.

The Russians received just 800 Mack NR-15s at the very end of the war in Europe in 1945, just before Lend Lease was suspended by President Truman on VE-Day, out of 16,548 NRs (all series) produced.

NRs operated during the 1943-1944 period with the U.S. Army's Transportation Corps in the Persian Corridor, running war supplies to Russia from Iran.

Thousands of Mack NRs in Europe, the Middle East and Iran transferred into civilian hands after the war and carried on for decades.

During the postwar perior, the Canadian, French and Danish Armies used the Mack NM for many years. The Canadians retrofitted their NMs with civilian enclosed cabs.

It’s not often that the name Mack Trucks is in the same sentence as the term U-boat, but then it’s not every day that Mack ACs are overseeing a German U-boat.

The German U-boat (submarine) UC5, a Type UC 1 mine laying U-boat was captured by the British in 1916. It was later provided to America for propaganda purposes and put on display in New York’s Central Park to promote the sale of Liberty Bonds.

The first photo shows a civilian AC tractor positioning the bow section for reattachment to the middle section in Central Park. The UC5 was transported in 3 sections, the bow (35 tons), middle (45 tons) and stern (40 tons).

In the second photo, a U.S. Army Mack AC cargo is parked ahead of the submarine in the park. Note the Mack name on the cargo body’s canvas top.

post-5381-0-01101700-1359595498_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-47569500-1359595521_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-35556400-1359595535_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-19920700-1359595556_thumb.jp

Great U-boat pictures, thank you!

I still have not any documental facts about how many NR's were supplied to Russia.

And see no chances fo find it out in Russian sources.

The facts I have are that my NR (the only one Russian known in existance) left the factory on January 19. 1945 (Mack museum) and there were both single and double rear wheeled NR's of service in Russia, all with open cabs.

Interesting that the chassis as it came to me had the rear hubs for single 20' wheels but with a late serial number.

It was probably assembling mistake, 2 NR's were supplied in 5 packs. Or maybe it was assembled from some rest components and parts around the end of the war in Europe.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 2 weeks later...

I hope our government can see that it is a french POS. Can't believe MACK can't come up with its own heavy duty military spec truck, oh I forgot Mack doesn't do anything without VOLVO blessing it. I don't even think Mack is capable of doing complete testing like they once did not matter what they tell you. They traded the very complex test facility for a show place known as the customer center-pathetic!!! And the southern connection, Greensboro hahahaha, that is all I can say. I saw someone wrote that Mack still the greatest name in trucks!!! Yea right!! Mack was the gratest name in trucks at one time. All I can say is what a pathetic company. A great example is how well the Titan is doing out there, another hahaha. I could go on and on. But not worth my energy. I just steer people these days to older Macks, Petes, KWs or Western Stars if they want a real truck!!!!

I hope our government can see that it is a french POS. Can't believe MACK can't come up with its own heavy duty military spec truck, oh I forgot Mack doesn't do anything without VOLVO blessing it. I don't even think Mack is capable of doing complete testing like they once did not matter what they tell you. They traded the very complex test facility for a show place known as the customer center-pathetic!!! And the southern connection, Greensboro hahahaha, that is all I can say. I saw someone wrote that Mack still the greatest name in trucks!!! Yea right!! Mack was the gratest name in trucks at one time. All I can say is what a pathetic company. A great example is how well the Titan is doing out there, another hahaha. I could go on and on. But not worth my energy. I just steer people these days to older Macks, Petes, KWs or Western Stars if they want a real truck!!!!

I wouldn't go that far. Macks are still one of the better trucks compared to Pete and KW. They still have a lighter light weight and better suspension.

Matt

Certainly a lot of colorful metaphors here.

So far as the Mack-badged Renault Sherpa goes, it is a fine vehicle but our military won't buy it. They'll remain with Oshkosh, Navistar and other American manufacturers.

Volvo did indeed shut down the superior Allentown Mack R&D center and relocate those functions to an inferior Volvo facility in Greensboro, North Carolina.

The comment on this link (below) echoes my thoughts (http://www.todaystrucking.com/article.cfm?intDocID=28723). I couldn't agree more.

It's so unfortunate that the great Mack name will never be the same now that it's no longer headquartered in Allentown, PA. It's also unfortunate that Mack highway trucks are merely Volvo chassis and engine with a "Mack" looking hood and cab. I proudly worked for twenty years at the Mack Engineering Development and Test Center (now a museum) until forced to find new employment, as Volvo broke a promise and relocated all Engineering operations to Greensboro. Another American icon lost to history.

The sad reality is Mack indeed "was" the greatest name in trucks. It certainly isn't today. It's just a brand name belonging to Sweden's Volvo Group. It's no more American now than Mercedes-Benz or Nissan.

The gentleman above is correct in saying the Titan has been a sales failure (ask your Volvo North America Mack-brand regional sales representative). Looking at the big picture, Titans are not selling and most dealers avoid stocking one. While I admittedly prefer the Australian Titan's appearance to the U.S. model, I have to blame the U.S. sales failure on Volvo's Mack brand sales team.

"Macks are still one of the better trucks compared to Pete and KW. They still have a lighter weight and better suspension"

"Have you ever driven a titan mr oldrd6bbst? it'll pull the frame out out from under any kw or pete."

"also i know a company called warren fane trucking in troy ny that just sold 10 2011 kw w900"s that were worthless piles of crap and bought 10 new mack pinnacles"

I realize you both have the best of intentions, but let's put this to rest.

All U.S. trucks can be spec'd light, or heavy. Nearly all suspensions on U.S. market trucks are produced by Hendrickson Suspension. Better suspension? The Hendrickson air suspension on Mack-branded trucks is no better or worse than the rest.

You can spec a Kenworth or Peterbilt comparably to the Titan and get the same results. The severe service Titan does not have any new/advanced/unique superiority over Kenworth and Peterbilt's severe service models.

I can spec any brand truck inappropriately for an application and it will typically deliver poor results over its life.

Net result - disappointed customer

I can spec any brand truck ideally for a specific application and it will deliver superior results over its life.

Net result - happy and profitable customer

Yes, all trucks have their idiosyncrasies. But in the light from which you are speaking, that doesn't apply.

There are small fleets all across America changing truck brands all the time. If we could keep score, it would nearly balance out. For every vocational fleet deciding to leave Kenworth for Mack-branded Volvos (and there aren't many), there's a Mack fleet that's decided to experience Kenworth (which rarely happened when Mack Trucks was in business).

I was on the interstate the other day for 30 minutes. I tallied every tractor trailer. I saw just one Mack-branded Volvo. The rest of the trucks were mostly Freightliners and Internationals. Not my opinion - just the fact.

• Like 1

price is the major factor in truck purchases. and the titan was over priced from the start. although it has became more competitive price wise. i think you also have to lookat when it was launched the construction and forestry industies were in free fall and still are not doing well. mack never really stocked superliner v8 models or CL models they were always more custom order truck or atleast in the norteast you couldnt go and buy a superliner or later a CL With a v8 on the dealer lot. we just ordered a second titan with all mack components this time as our fleet of cl models is aging and have to update and for us the titan is the choice we made because of our mack service dealer and the performance wise its a amazing truck . i dont like people talking smack about something theyve never driven

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From what I saw Mack has many military trucks currently offered, Though they appear to be regular trucks with optional armor plating . . .

Does Mack even offer an AWD truck any more ? !

Mil-Spec Macks:

http://www.macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=3452

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

Mack Defense LLC:

http://www.mackdefense.com/

Watched a few corp videos of Macks being built I don't think they are rebranded volvo's. From what I have read Mack trucks inc is still Mack trucks inc volvo just owns the "title" so to speak, They seem to be ran as 2 separate companys . . . With Mack mil-spec trucks also being its own thing.

I could be totally wrong or got taken by some Volvo PR BSing thing ? !

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

This creation has long impressed me. I’m sure someone told this gentleman it couldn’t be done, but where there’s a will..........

This isn’t a 6x6 Mack CL-700 because Mack never produced one (although Mack did produce a CL713 10x4 low-boy tractor prototype for the military – see picture). Fabricated in 2000 by Brownie Moving and Heavy Hauling in Fort Pierce, Florida, they installed a CL cab and hood onto a Mack M123 6x6 tractor.

Very impressive indeed. Was the engine changed as well? Overall, the CL-700 cab & hood looks natural on the M123 chassis.

Thanks for sharing

Rick

Richard Mark

Owner / Master Model Maker

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

From what I saw Mack has many military trucks currently offered, Though they appear to be regular trucks with optional armor plating . . .

Does Mack even offer an AWD truck any more ? !

Mil-Spec Macks:

http://www.macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=3452

Mike

I've seen pictures of a Mack "Granite" 6x6 tanker built by Pierce for the Seminole Tribal Fire Department in Florida. Not sure if it was a factory installation or

a later modification.

bulldogboy

Very impressive indeed. Was the engine changed as well? Overall, the CL-700 cab & hood looks natural on the M123 chassis.

Thanks for sharing

Rick

Assuming it began as an M123A1C, the highest volume model produced, I suspect it has the original Cummins V-8.

The specs for the M123A1C are:

Engine: 300hp @ 3,000rpm, Cummins V8-300 (model P1525), 785 cu.in. (12.86 liters)

Clutch: Mack CL-50 dual dry disc

Transmission: Mack TRDXT 72 10-speed Duplex with integral transfer case

Ratios - Forward: 1st - 18.83/7.53

2nd - 10.80/4.32

3rd - 6.50/2.60

4th - 4.05/1.62

5th -2.50/1.00

Rev - 18.83/7.53

Top Speed 43 mph

Transfer Case Ratios 2.50:1 / 1.00:1

Front axle: Mack king pin-driven triple-reduction FA491 front drive axle (9.02:1 ratio) (4.40:1 single reduction differential and 2.38:1 wheel-drive bevel gears)

Front Suspension: 13 leaf springs, 3” wide, 50” long

Rear Bogie: Mack double-reduction SWD77 rear drive axles (10.11:1 ratio)

Rear Suspension: 13-leaf camelback springs, 5” wide, 60” long

Fuel tanks 2 - 83 gallons each

Winch Garwood 45,000 lb

Tires 14.00-24 (20 ply)

Front Axle Curb Weight 12,250 lb

Rear Axle Curb Weight 16,850 lb

Total Curb Weight 29,100 lb

GCWR (on-road) 120,000 lb

(off-road) 80,000 lb

M123/125:

LeRoi 844 V8 gas engine made 297hp/725tq.

M123a1c:

Cummins V-785 V8 diesel engine made 300hp/580tq.

This about the only case other than the GM-6.2/6.5s where the Gasser had more power, 297hp vs 300hp ok 3hp big deal.

Its a pulling rig you won't notice that 3hp I guarantee it ;o)

The 725tq vs 580tq = 145tq difference !

I have manuals:

TM 9-2320-206-10. Operators.

TM 9-2320-206-20. Tech/Maint.

TM 9-8003-1. Ord/Maint.

If you need info I got all kinds ;o)

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

The gas engine got 9.02 ratio, and the diesel got the 10.11 ratio. The Gasser maxed out at 2800rpm and the diesel maxed out at 3300rpm ;o)

Though the gasser is stated NOT to exceed 2600rpm and the diesel not to exceed 3000rpm ;o)

Cool trucks for only running 35mph steady and 43-45mph all tapped out, Well enough boring bla bla info

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

I'm shure this truck looks nice and impressive but I've got more impression about a potential of WW2 time Mack NO model wich was introduced in 1940 with most components applied later in M123. It's good Mack built super level trucks in 40's although I don't see great achievement of builting new army truck using 70 year aged technologies. Shure this CL is a die hard unit but it's not the way to play competition on the modern market.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I would love to see a modern MP10-605hp/2,050tq powered extreme duty 6by Titan haul tractor.

Does Mack have modern age 6x6 components ? !

I heard the Titan was to be spec'd with 85 and 110K-Lb rear's did that ever happen ? !

Add a nice 3?/4?K-Lb Driving steer axle with those 2 rears ;o)

On side note, Could a Mack ENDT-V8 or E9-V8 be transplanted into an M123 ? ! Maybe backed up by an OD transmission to turn the old 35-40mph truck into a 55mph rig ? !

M123/125:

E9-500/7spd-OD/9.02s/16.00R24s ;o)

Just an idea I had

Mike

Edited by REOGasMackDiesel

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

I've got an M123A1C and it has been an awesome truck for my logging business. Unfortunately, the motor just went on me. It broke the crank and now I am having a heck of a time finding replacement parts. At this point, I'm in such a need for it and having such a time finding a replacement V8 300 or parts for it, that I am thinking of just finding a motor to fit it. Any one have a suggestion of something that will do the job? The 300 Cummins was 785 CI, 300hp 300RPM to a Mack TRD XT72 trans., 5spd with a hi and low. I just need something that will fit and bolt up.