Disabling The Vison

I am used to my old primitive superliner which will be going through some physical changes this winter, ie: 4 feet longer and air ride suspension. I just bought a 2000 vision with a 460hp e7. The cam has already been replaced. As soon as i get it home i am disconnecting the low water level sensor if it has one. What other dodads do i need to disconnect before working it?

• 2 weeks later...

it's a 2000 not a 2001. I have already disconnected the low water level thingy. you just cut the 2 wires that go to the resevior and tie them together. that was a simple fix. I have disabled the abs also. The block in the truck can be transformed back to a mechanical pump. that's one reason i bought the truck. I run about 300miles a day and i have to keep running while i am updating the superdog. I cant take that camel "break my" back suspension anymore. I can never get rid of her!

it's a 2000 not a 2001. I have already disconnected the low water level thingy. you just cut the 2 wires that go to the resevior and tie them together. that was a simple fix. I have disabled the abs also. The block in the truck can be transformed back to a mechanical pump. that's one reason i bought the truck. I run about 300miles a day and i have to keep running while i am updating the superdog. I cant take that camel "break my" back suspension anymore. I can never get rid of her!

Pardon my ignorance but why would you want to disconnect those sensors/systems? And which pump is mechanical, the water pump?

And is the ABS bad or just trying to avoid potential problems?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Well Thad, if the water level gets low, "ive heard," it will shut the engine down. It does have an override switch but... I am young but im oldschool. If you check your fluids every day, keep an eye on your gauges, keep your ears open, and have a nose for things, you will be alright. I just really want to avoid future sensor problems, because they will eventually go bad. And as for abs, I don't think anything is wrong with it. But I want full control of my brakes. I know how to drive/brake, and i don't want a computer releasing the brakes for me. and as for the pump, i am going to put a mechanical fuel pump back on the engine eventually, if i ever have costly problems with the electrical one. And whoever says that it can't be done, is wrong. I talked to the guys at the mack/volvo engine manufacturing plant in Hagerstown MD :) On the newer engines, i can't remember which year it starts but i know it's after 2001 you cannot do it. Like i said before, im old school.

Pardon my ignorance but why would you want to disconnect those sensors/systems? And which pump is mechanical, the water pump?

And is the ABS bad or just trying to avoid potential problems?

Well Thad, if the water level gets low, "ive heard," it will shut the engine down. It does have an override switch but... I am young but im oldschool. If you check your fluids every day, keep an eye on your gauges, keep your ears open, and have a nose for things, you will be alright. I just really want to avoid future sensor problems, because they will eventually go bad. And as for abs, I don't think anything is wrong with it. But I want full control of my brakes. I know how to drive/brake, and i don't want a computer releasing the brakes for me. and as for the pump, i am going to put a mechanical fuel pump back on the engine eventually, if i ever have costly problems with the electrical one. And whoever says that it can't be done, is wrong. I talked to the guys at the mack/volvo engine manufacturing plant in Hagerstown MD :) On the newer engines, i can't remember which year it starts but i know it's after 2001 you cannot do it. Like i said before, im old school.

I am reading this post and grimacing.

The low water level sensor is a saftey feature for your truck so you don't destroy the engine. It's cheaper to replace a $6 sensor then the engine.

Is it a Bendix or Wabco ABS system? What did you do to disable the system, pull the fuse or unplug the module?

I think you should save this post or discussion for a years and then go back and read it after you have messed up a good engine and that is what you will do if you dont know any more than to disable the engine protectiom and then you will hate your self.

glenn akers

No offense, but if you are a real diver, you will pay attention to your truck and you can sense problems. I only put up this post to see if anyone knew of anymore unnecessary sh*t that i need to rid the truck of. Ive been running my 87 superliner with no sensors whatso ever for almost 4 years now. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR GAUGES, THEY AREN'T THERE FOR LOOKS, but some people think so. And i personally dont like ABS, OKAY. Oh, and the mufflers are getting scrapped this weekend. I wanna hear that dog bark, lol.

I cant take that camel "break my" back suspension anymore. I can never get rid of her!

Maybe you should disconnect the "pain sensor" in your back & keep running the superliner.

A superliner is way more of a truck than a vision.

IMHO, air ride is not the hot setup.

Just my .02.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta agree with the "watch your gauges" sayings here. I have never needed an ear piercing alarm and a bunch of lights to see if the motor is getting hot. Any decent driver checks his/her oil/water on a regular basis. Thankfully the previous owner had all the shutdowns disabled except whent he low air buzzer is still on my "new" 92 model.

Showdog I had an 86 RD 800 that had an E7 400 Mechanical installed in it for a short time. In my experience the computer motors seemed to run a lot stronger than the mechanicals but that is just a 3-4 truck comparison so it may not be the norm. The E7 400 "puter" motor in my r model now runs like a raped ape...Im pretty darned impressed with the power to say the least. I really couldnt blame ya for wanting to get rid of anything electronic though...Im old school as well. I'd imagine I'd probably do it if it gave me much trouble as well...but I hope it dont hehehe.