Starter Problems

Mack700

Hello All

About 8 years ago I took a E6 out of my 1995 CL and put in a E9 500 that had a 24 volt starter I changed it to a 12 volt and ever since about every 1 1/2 to 2 years the starter has to be replaced I have had other Mack trucks over the years and have never had problems like this. Do the E9's need the 24 Volt starters for some reason Thanks !!!!!!!!!! :SMOKIE-LFT:

Hello All

About 8 years ago I took a E6 out of my 1995 CL and put in a E9 500 that had a 24 volt starter I changed it to a 12 volt and ever since about every 1 1/2 to 2 years the starter has to be replaced I have had other Mack trucks over the years and have never had problems like this. Do the E9's need the 24 Volt starters for some reason Thanks !!!!!!!!!! :SMOKIE-LFT:

could be that the 24v starter was either more powerful or better built for cranking an E9. Air starters seem to be lower maintenence and more reliable.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

12 volt starter will draw higher amps, therefore needs heavier cables. You might be getting a voltage drop with the old cables and burning up the starter?

Thats a good point about the cables but the cables would burn up, not the starter because it would just get a lower voltage. Was the starter you put in new, rebuilt or used? I think its just not strong enough for the task. Those starters are series wound so they draw as much current as needed. A smaller starter will draw more current then its rated for which would lead to overheating and then buring out the windings after a while.

Did you change the start system to 12v too? I know it sounds stupid but its worth asking. Although I doubt a 12V could take that many starts before burning up on 24v.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

:SMOKIE-RT: I HAVE 3 E9s AND THEY ALL HAVE 12VOLT STARTERS THEY SEEM TO TURN THEM JUST FINE. THE ONLY PROBLEM I EVER HAD WAS WITH MY 92 MH613 THE CHARGING SYSTEM WAS 24VOLT ON IT, AND IT WOULD ONLY CHARGE THE LEFT SIDE BATTERIES. SO I CHANGED THE CHARGING SYSTEM OVER TO 12 VOLT. IT SEEMS TO WORK ALRIGHT SO FAR. AS FAR AS I KNOW A 12 VOLT STARTER IS PRETTY MUCH STANDARD ON AN E9. WHAT KIND OF STARTER HAVE YOU BEEN USING?

• 4 weeks later...