Why Can't We Buy Cabover?

QCDriver

On 6/8/2017 at 0:54 PM, roger c said:

Thanks for the reply, If I have it right, example, on a run from Florida  up to the northwest, I can expect to have to move  the trailers axles to be within the laws  of the state Im about to enter regarding weight distribution? If this is the case why oh why has the transport industry country wide demanded uniformity across all states? Surely time,money and convenience to all would be beneficial to all including vehicle/trailer makers. Standardization, everyone then knows the rules.

With that example, yes it is a possibility. Again it all depends on what route you are on.  Another example that up until a few years ago was that some states still had a max gross weight of 73,280 lbs and others were 80,000 lbs. this caused all types of issues as you could be on the interstate at 80,000 lbs and be legal. jump off that interstate and you were over the legal limit.

Some states you can gross more than 80,000 if you have the correct amount of axles.

Way too many examples to go on with but as you can see states can make up their on weight and length laws. its up to the company and drivers to know all these laws.

As was already said, Scania still sells cabover trucks in the United Sates. so does Mack and Freightliner.

Kenworth and Peterbilt make medium duty cab overs too. 

Cabovers are just not a popular anymore because the overall vehicle length restrictions are longer than they were 30 years ago.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I passed a couple of the Wagoneer's old Freightliner's cab overs pulling out of Charleston, SC on my way home this week. They are getting their moneys worth out of those rigs.

I had never noticed the bunk above the cab on these rigs before. Getting into that must be quite interesting.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

16 hours ago, tjc transport said:

As was already said, Scania still sells cabover trucks in the United Sates. so does Mack and Freightliner.

Kenworth and Peterbilt make medium duty cab overs too. 

Cabovers are just not a popular anymore because the overall vehicle length restrictions are longer than they were 30 years ago.

In North America, Scania trucks are sold in Mexico.

https://www.scania.com/mx/es/home/products-and-services/trucks.html

Scania industrial and marine engines are sold in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

https://www.scania.com/us/en/home.html