05 Granite With 370 Hp Engine

Hey guys I know you can help me on this one. I have a 05 Granite dump truck with a 370 horse motor w/8LL trans. Can anyone give me some particulars on this engine ie size, fluid capacities should I buy Mack filters anything I should be aware of or keep an eye on. I've been through a lot pages in this forum and haven't seen one thread on this engine. Also it doesn't have a EGT gauge would this be a worth while upgrade, gets pretty warm in Oklahoma? Last but not least has anyone had any fuel gauge issues I think mine is possessed. It has 2 55gl tanks put say 40gls in the left tank means should be 15 left in the bottom of both and gauge will read1/2 then in an hr will show 1/8 and back to a 1/4 any help would be greatly appreciated with any of these topics Mack has dealt w/ fuel gauge issue nemerous times. Thanks Kurt

Edited by Chewey

Hey guys I know you can help me on this one. I have a 05 Granite dump truck with a 370 horse motor w/8LL trans. Can anyone give me some particulars on this engine ie size, fluid capacities should I buy Mack filters anything I should be aware of or keep an eye on. I've been through a lot pages in this forum and haven't seen one thread on this engine. Also it doesn't have a EGT gauge would this be a worth while upgrade, gets pretty warm in Oklahoma? Thanks Kurt

The engine is a ASET AI. The 370HP was not made for to many years due to the EPA finding out how dirty it was. The 370 was dropped but they kept the 300, 350, 400, 427 and 460HP till they went to the MP series engine. Alot of state road dept dump truck had this engine. Best I remember the performance was equal to the 427 HP on paper (torque output). Most everyone around here didnt complaine about low power. Main thing to watch on these engines is the belt tensioners/belts, air filters plugged easy in dusty conditions, if it has a Powerleash engine brake have the valves adjusted and make sure they replace the rocker arm hold down bolts with the new upgraded ones. The Horton fan hubs also have bearings that go out and most Horton fan drives have the built in fan clutch that seems to go out/slip early. Always use Mack filters and dont forget to change the spinner oil filter. While at the Dealer get them to reflash and reprogram both ECM's up to the "Step 12B" with throttle calibration (makes them run better) The torque curve of the AI engines can sometimes be small so if the pulls good dont go changing tire size. I'm not much on pryometers/EGT guages but I think a boost pressure/manifold pressure guage is a must.

That is some great info thanks so much. Is the boost gauge and manifold press. gauge an easy install? I've only had the truck just shy of 2 mos. the previous owner's a good friend of mine Still LOL. I'll ask him about all the things you mentioned. He's supposed to get me all the reciept's. That will tell me a lot.

Thanks Again Kurt

That is some great info thanks so much. Is the boost gauge and manifold press. gauge an easy install? I've only had the truck just shy of 2 mos. the previous owner's a good friend of mine Still LOL. I'll ask him about all the things you mentioned. He's supposed to get me all the reciept's. That will tell me a lot.

Thanks Again Kurt

I would go with a aftermarket boost pressure guage (the boost and manifold pressure guage means the same thing, some people call it one or the other). If your truck has one it will be in the upper left hand corner of your dash. To install a factory boost guage the dealer has to reflash the ECM to read the new sensor and transmit it to the new guage. The aftermarket guage just hooks a piece of 1/4" or 1/8" plastic air line to the intake manifold and goes straight to the guage in the dash. http://www.pdqperformance.com/product-p/114524.htm

Thanks Again Kurt

I would agree with Mackpro68. The guage he linked to would probably be far simpler to install with the added benefit of being a manual guage instead of an electric one. However, if you want the electronic factory guage make sure to have your Mack dealership turn on the option in the mainframe before downloading a new datafile if you have your ecu programmed. Regarding the fuel level guage-it's probably the sending unit in the left tank, but you may want to check any shutoff valves, equalizers, fill caps, etc to make sure everything is ok before spending money on a new sender. I believe on your truck the fuel level sensor is fault enabled-the eml (lightning bolt) will come on, with code 6-1 I belive, if the circuit has high or low voltage or open circuit, however it won't sense a fault otherwise. This means a damage float or arm on the sending unit will cause erratic behavior but not necessarily set a code.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Thanks guys I'll print all this out and keep on file. I think I'll go with the mechanical gauge because the Mack dealer is not very convenient to get to. That lightning bolt does show up every time I start the truck. Thanks again that's a big help. Kurt