Wiper Motor

brialin

I have a B61 and have trouble with the windshield wiper motor. I cleaned out the wiper motor and it works just fine if you put air to one side of the motor then to the other side. When you connect up to the valve in the cab the motor goes to the end of its stroke and will not return. I can hear the valve in the motor click but the air only is pressurized at one end. Is the valve in the cab supposed to somehow divert the air from one side of the motor to the other?

Brian

I have a B61 and have trouble with the windshield wiper motor. I cleaned out the wiper motor and it works just fine if you put air to one side of the motor then to the other side. When you connect up to the valve in the cab the motor goes to the end of its stroke and will not return. I can hear the valve in the motor click but the air only is pressurized at one end. Is the valve in the cab supposed to somehow divert the air from one side of the motor to the other?

Brian

Brian if you found oil....then it may be stopped up still. Any valve is a good idea to clean. Is your compressor pumping out oil?

mike

The radiator is out of the truck so I have been charging the truck off my air compressor. It doesn't appear that the air compressor is pushing oil. I think the truck has been sitting quite a while. Mud wasp nests everywhere. I have had to replace all the brake valves due to the rubber deteriorating. I hesitated to pull the wiper switch not knowing what is inside for seals. Does anyone make a rebuilding kit for it? Can you get seals for the wiper motor also?

Thanks Brian

NAPA has been a good resource for me and my truck so far. Take your seals with you and they sometimes can match them or take the seals to a gasket & rubber industrial co. The parts are not cheap by no means, but how often do we change them out? Answer not often so we pay the price. Sometimes on this site we could use pictures....so take some of what your working on and post them. It helps us to see what you see.

If you pm Freightain he can also help you...he's had his wiper system apart for cleaning etc.

mike

Ok, no expert, but played with mine a few years ago. I have pisspoor memory, so bear with me.

I pulled mine apart and got all the gunk out of the motor itself. There is a "toggle" valve built into the motor that flips the air from side to side. The one end cap on the motor has the gizmo inside and likely you'll have to pull it apart to check it. If you get it to one side can you "park" it(turn the control valve on dash) and make it return?

Make sure all four lines are in great shape as one of mine was about closed shut and it ran really slow. Once I fix that, they run like a raped ape. If the motor had lots of oil in it, the lines can swell shut(like mine did).

I found out 9 yrs ago with mine that their are a few differenct control knobs as Barry and I went round and round trying to get a matching unit to replace mine. To no avail I just put a new O ring inside my dash control and it's been okay since. The O ring seals the shaft and there isn't much anything else to it.

Art Krewat has a company that deals in old/NOS Trico wiper motors. I used to have a link to it. Something like Marine Parts unlimited? Something like that. Likely you'll be able to make it work fine again as long as nothing is broken.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Does your wiper have 4 lines going to it? I know that was the issue I had when finding a new switch, there seems to be a few variations and getting the plumbing correct is paramount.

Larry.....still seems he has something stopped up not letting it slide back and forth.

mike

The thing is all the lines have to be hooked up(correctly), as if not it won't work. I've never seen the actual line schematic to know what line does what. Would love to know. Yes, one is main source to wiper motor, maybe the other two are the "park" function?

Re-thinking, there are 4 lines at the control and 3 at the motor?

Maybe I'll send an email off to Art and see if he can shed some light on it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

One of the air lines that go to the other end of the motor has some sort of restriction in it. Replaced the line and works now. The small sliding valve is worn and letting a little to much air out of the exhaust port causing the motor to be a little weak. Are parts still available for these?

Brian

• Like 1

This is Art ;)

What year and exact model is the truck? I can look it up and see what motor SHOULD be in there (sometimes, you'll find a different motor installed).

Can you take any pictures of the wiper motor?

Depending on what motor it is, there are a few different ways the air lines can be connected between the motor and the control, and how the control actually feeds (or passes) air to the motor.

Art,

Sometimes no news is good news.

My truck wiper motor under the hood has 3 hoses. 1 in the middle and 1 at each end....unless maybe some under the dash. My wipers work good. Under my dash looks like an oil derrick explosion happened at one time in it's life. Even the air horn valve has had oil all around it also. I'm getting air at the air horn valve but the valve leaks past when pulled and no sound. Not surprised since no one carries a rebuild kit for horns either.

mike