Low On Power

hpgtowing

Got a 1981 Mack Heavy spec. single axle Mack Wrecker.. big 29,000 Rear.. with a homes 850 Wrecker back... Maxi Torque 5 speed with a 4 speed Brownlipe aux. .. Truck weight is about 35 to 36,000 LBS.... iT HAS A 285 TIP TURBINE MOTOR... The truck has about 160,000 miles.... The motor was inframed just before I bought it.. about 2 years ago... I had the injection pump gone over, adjusted the valves... but the truck just is lazy.. no torque and down on power..... Any ideas? Thanks

Ron I disconnected the puff eliminator... Yeah it did run better... Considerably when up in a hiher gear.. You could now feel the truck wanna pull... it's still a bit lazy... I'm gonna replace the spring check valve (T-shaped Valve) at the injection pump... I'm told these weaken after a while and tend to reduce fuel pressure slightly.... I'll keep you posted... Steve

I have the puff limiter on a air switch mounted on the dash. bob tailing I notice an increase in accelaration from a dead stop or low rpm. when the truck is loaded it just feels the same. check your Fuel press if its good check your fuel feed lines from the tank. sometimes rust can collect in the lines or air from a crack will hinder flow to the pump.

Trent

Steve you might take the short fuel lines to the filters off and see if you can look through them , i have had them where they look good on the outside but closed on the inside , like trent said you might check all the fuel lines, i have a 76 285hp with a 5 speed 3.87 rears ,it will run with a 350hp cummins with 90000 lbs + pulls good Ron