Me An Momma Are Gettin A Bike:

Rob

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh...shoot! If it weren't for that Peterbilt rear it would have Rob written all over it.

Yup. Now you know why it's no longer around. Poisioned at the core from the design stage and doomed to failure.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Just got back from the dealership. Rode a Kawasaki Vulcan, a Triumph Rocket III, and a Yamaha/Star Midnite Venture. The Venture is a very nice bike that is in serious contention for my ownership. This thing has every available bell and whistle available installed and just needs a pair of matching helmets and a cover to be complete. It is black and chrome and extremely nice. After looking at the Rocket III Touring list of available options, I think we are going to pass it over. There is just not a lot available that is genuine Triumph stuff.

I took photos of the Yamaha but within 1/2 mile from the dealership decided it was a serious contender. The Vulcan has way too much vibration as does some of the other Japanese bikes I've ridden. The first of the week I'm going to ride either a new, or close to new Ultra Classic Harley, then make the final decision. I do know a very competent Harley mechanic and he has indicated much of what Bobo mentioned with problems of the 110 engine and the oil leaks. I'm sure it will be sorted out but right now I think I'll stick with proven technology. I'm not looking for a race bike but rather reliability.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

....I kept my 900 Kawasaki, (original Z1) through our military years till it was plain worn out with over 55,000 miles; (this bike I miss).

I'm pretty happy with my Kawi :banana:

l_0dbf8b5db7264a7a9f51c8a349ccdd05.jpg

They don't import 'em into the US no more, though...so ya can't get a new one :pat: Still a fun bike, though :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

...The Vulcan has way too much vibration as does some of the other Japanese bikes I've ridden.

more than a harley? :blink:

The first of the week I'm going to ride either a new, or close to new Ultra Classic Harley, then make the final decision. I do know a very competent Harley mechanic and he has indicated much of what Bobo mentioned with problems of the 110 engine and the oil leaks. I'm sure it will be sorted out but right now I think I'll stick with proven technology. I'm not looking for a race bike but rather reliability.

Rob

Oil leaks? On a harley? NEVER! :lol:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

more than a harley? blink.gif

Oil leaks? On a harley? NEVER! laugh.gif

Oh yeah, Harley's don't leak. Now let's talk about that resort property I'll make you a deal on in Florida.

Here is one we rode yesterday. Although nice, there are nicer examples of the model out there. The search is on and we'll settle by next weekend on about three more we are evaluating.

Had to blow up the rear suspension to maximum allowed to have any travel.

Rob

post-78-127039408821_thumb.jpg

post-78-127039409814_thumb.jpg

post-78-127039410905_thumb.jpg

post-78-127039412006_thumb.jpg

post-78-127039413089_thumb.jpg

POOOOORR AIR SHOCKS.....that bike will never be the same again......probably sprung the forks and swingarm let alone the sprung wheels. I hope the bike will sell for parts now. Might find a few parts still good shape. The cycle shop will probably sell it for scrap.

mike

POOOOORR AIR SHOCKS.....that bike will never be the same again......probably sprung the forks and swingarm let alone the sprung wheels. I hope the bike will sell for parts now. Might find a few parts still good shape. The cycle shop will probably sell it for scrap.

mike

That bike would need a larger rear seat for Momma. During the test ride there was such a pronounced drag by the width of her hips that I stopped, took off my belt and strapped them tightly to her pelvis which is someplace under there. This cut her overall width to less than the fairing on the front and the bike rode with much less parasitic drag. It actually was quite comfortable but the suspension travel was very limited. It's not that you could feel the surface of the asphalt we were riding on but it would bottom out with just a small road imperfection.

I'm told there are conversion kits for heavier riders to counter this problem, and we will need to look into this no matter what bike we settle upon.

I never thought to have anyone measure the wheelbase while we were mounted to see if the frame had any flex, or lengthening.

Rob

I've seen some 'Training Wheels' that bolt on to Goldwings - - - I'm sure you can get them for most anything.

Might be good to help transfer weight outboard??

Kinda take a bit from the rear tire.

Think of it as a tag axle!!!!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

I've seen some 'Training Wheels' that bolt on to Goldwings - - - I'm sure you can get them for most anything.

Might be good to help transfer weight outboard??

Kinda take a bit from the rear tire.

Think of it as a tag axle!!!!

Packer

She won't even entertain the thought of a "trike". I've tried. I would be concerned about rolling the tires from the rims as there is no lean with those.

Rob

All this bike talk got me fired up to ride. So yesterday I got out the GoldWing Honda and spent 7 hrs. and a total of 307.8 miles on it just enjoying the sunny day and beautiful hill country we have. I did drop the bike at a RR crossing, I felt lucky cause no cars were behind me to not interferr with me picking up a 1000 lbs. Had to lay it down once cause I did not have a good grip on it. I got back on and picked up my pride, looked out and in front of me was a couple on a Harley asking if I was ok. My reply was I must have got too happy with it and I told them thanks for checking on me and away I ride. In a total of 15 years i've had the bike, I have dropped it 3 times now. I was told when I bought the bike in 1995 I would eventually drop it. Anyway I always have a good time and yes I have many stories.

mike

All this bike talk got me fired up to ride. So yesterday I got out the GoldWing Honda and spent 7 hrs. and a total of 307.8 miles on it just enjoying the sunny day and beautiful hill country we have. I did drop the bike at a RR crossing, I felt lucky cause no cars were behind me to not interferr with me picking up a 1000 lbs. Had to lay it down once cause I did not have a good grip on it. I got back on and picked up my pride, looked out and in front of me was a couple on a Harley asking if I was ok. My reply was I must have got too happy with it and I told them thanks for checking on me and away I ride. In a total of 15 years i've had the bike, I have dropped it 3 times now. I was told when I bought the bike in 1995 I would eventually drop it. Anyway I always have a good time and yes I have many stories.

mike

Goldwings are easy to pick up...as are most bikes. Best way to do it is to face AWAY from the bike...one hand on the handle bar, one hand on the grab rail on the back. Keep your back straight, and lift with your legs. As the bike comes up, walk backwards towards it. Piece of cake. :thumb:

Rob.......that is not a bike.......you did not put good money into that. Nobody with a bad back and 50 years old buys a bike......maybe a Corvette or new big screen TV. Guys.....out there I don't have the heart to tell him what that really is. A man.....never mine. I was going to take a photo of my Harley this afternoon but went walking instead ( g/f ) idea. Rob....i'll show you a bike soon. It's not black which is popular color but, is REDHOT.

mike

Rob.......that is not a bike.......you did not put good money into that. Nobody with a bad back and 50 years old buys a bike......maybe a Corvette or new big screen TV. Guys.....out there I don't have the heart to tell him what that really is. A man.....never mine. I was going to take a photo of my Harley this afternoon but went walking instead ( g/f ) idea. Rob....i'll show you a bike soon. It's not black which is popular color but, is REDHOT.

mike

I've repaired/rebuilt/customized enough Corvettes in my adult life that I've had my fill of them. I hardly ever watch TV, (except PBS, local news) cause there ain't much worth a shit on there. My 19" screen is big enough for me given the limited amount of usage it sees.

I looked at new Harley's and decided against them. The trunk didn't look big enough to support the needed amount of tools, gaskets/seals, and spare parts needed to ensure arrival at point b, from point a.

Actually, what sealed the deal against Harley-Davidson was the dealership itself and it's clientel. The sales person kept on about how important it was to have an authorized Harley-Davidson dealership perform the service at scheduled intervals, (I kept quiet about my background letting him dig his own hole). While this seems like the norm, I'm not about to pay exhorbitant routine service amounts at the given intervals to comply with the limited warranty available. With the Yamaha, the warranty is five full years front to back except normal wear items and the recommended intervals are more wide span. Most others were three years unlimited mileage but Harley-Davidson was two years. There is room for improvement here. I really didn't see anything that warranted a $33,000 price tag for a fully loaded motorcycle although a new "Street Glide" could be had for about $20,000. To me, that still is a lot of money.

I think we will be happy with this Yamaha. We want to head west to explore the Grand Canyon this summer, so this will be a good break in for it.

Rob

Sounds like the deal went through then??

I love the sound of the Harley, but just can't justify the cost(of even a used one) so the ol 1100 Shadow will have to suffice for now.

Typical dealership, they want to push "their service" on you as they pretty much know that 99% of the customers are pencil pushers and can't hardly check the oil let alone do any maintenance! It's all about the "image" of owning one, not being able to work on it LOL!!

Remember......."Buy a harely, Buy the best. Ride a mile, Walk the rest" LMAO!!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I've repaired/rebuilt/customized enough Corvettes in my adult life that I've had my fill of them. I hardly ever watch TV, (except PBS, local news) cause there ain't much worth a shit on there. My 19" screen is big enough for me given the limited amount of usage it sees.

I looked at new Harley's and decided against them. The trunk didn't look big enough to support the needed amount of tools, gaskets/seals, and spare parts needed to ensure arrival at point b, from point a.

Actually, what sealed the deal against Harley-Davidson was the dealership itself and it's clientel. The sales person kept on about how important it was to have an authorized Harley-Davidson dealership perform the service at scheduled intervals, (I kept quiet about my background letting him dig his own hole). While this seems like the norm, I'm not about to pay exhorbitant routine service amounts at the given intervals to comply with the limited warranty available. With the Yamaha, the warranty is five full years front to back except normal wear items and the recommended intervals are more wide span. Most others were three years unlimited mileage but Harley-Davidson was two years. There is room for improvement here. I really didn't see anything that warranted a $33,000 price tag for a fully loaded motorcycle although a new "Street Glide" could be had for about $20,000. To me, that still is a lot of money.

I think we will be happy with this Yamaha. We want to head west to explore the Grand Canyon this summer, so this will be a good break in for it.

Rob

Good looking bike! Now all you need is a trailer for it so you can haul your Macks to truck shows with it.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Good looking bike! Now all you need is a trailer for it so you can haul your Macks to truck shows with it.

Thanks and am working on a trailer for it. Momma is not real keen on the idea as of yet. When we were younger and could pack a lot of things in a small space, (we've never had a bike with bags) we could carry most everything we needed. I'm not so sure now. A pair of my shorts and socks take up more room than a full day's clothing used to. This coupled with "Momma's" incessant need for nearly every deodorant bar under the sun when on trips takes up a lot of room. She could fill the baggage compartments by her lonesome if I let her.

Once I get it home there are a couple places that market nice motorcycle trailers and we'll have a look see. Momma can't envision what a trailer would look like, or fit behind the bike at all so will need to show her first hand.

Rob