Superliner Steering Box

bullhusk

Since the 1980 model year, the 10th character of the VIN denotes the year of manufacture. A=1980, B=1981, C=1982, D=1983, E=1984, F=1985, etc.

Rob

What about after 2005 when the alphabet was used up?

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

What about after 2006 when the alphabet was used up?

They went back to numbers. I don't know where it will go for the next generation.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ok guys number on right frame rail IM2V230Y3FM001471 door tag build date 2/13/86 there is another# on the left bottom box on door tag 3-2-7 frame# and door# are the same. The mod.# RWS722LST 500 V8 2100 10 Speed 4.17 Mack rears on meway air ride the interior in this black with brown door pads even the plastic dash is black,first time I saw A black Mack interior

thanks for any help Ernie D.S.

The date on the door tag is most likely when the truck was put in service,,usually punch stamped by the dealer with the date

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

Dave,I looked under cab today to see if the frame was spliced? It was not it's one piece single frame.Now the front of the frame where the steering box would be mounted on the later S/liners is very narrow,now I was told by a Mack dealer that axle mount steering was a west coast setup,Buttttttt the door tag is Allentown PA nothing seems to be comming together on this truck? vin# does not match drive train steering box etc etc etc. I've been around trucks long enough to know a retro but this truck looks factory engine mounts cross members and so on

Ernie

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys,I got the info i requested from the Mack Museum using the frame vin #.Here go's

Built at Macungie PA plant on Dec. 11,1984 for M.B.Transport.

Order cancelled transferred to general sales (original order from Keystone Mack)

Sold to Wm. Cavill & Son Linden NJ on February 14, 1986 14 months later

E9 440 Mack V8 Now has 500 V8

T-2100 trans.

12000 fr. FAW 537 C

REAR SA34C CARRIER CRDPC92193 4.17 RATIO

SUSP.ARD234.6 AIR CONTROL KIT FOR SA34C A577-MI

OK STEERING GEAR 392S POWER STEERING

Like i said before I have never seen this axle mount steering before but, I've been told they work OK. Now the build date being an 84 makes sense for this box being there. The motor thats in it now is A E9 500 according to the valve cover tag I'll check the block # now that I have the orig. engine #. The frame is on piece single front to back no splice under cab, it does have the round head lites and the interior color is Burgandy I thought it was black but what the hell do I know!!does any one remember this truck? any info about it would be helpfull since I will be Buying it this week.

Thanks for any help Ernie BULLHUSK PS sorry for being A pain in the ass with all the questions but what I don't know I have to learn.

The steering gear works OK, not many parts in the system for internals, couple of complete boxes available as of 12/08. I have put a Cruisliner box on my 82. The frame is spliced at the at the front spring rear hanger on the first generation trucks, not a problem. The hood attachment isn't good, but the Superliner 1 hood looks better without the back of the fenders clipped off.

I am told all the RW'S built in PA, the RL's in CA

My 82 RWS786LSTxxxx1055, black dash, dark brown door & headliner, black and brown seats. Mack has,is,and will be the front runner. BUY IT........

FW

Ok guys,I got the info i requested from the Mack Museum using the frame vin #.Here go's

Built at Macungie PA plant on Dec. 11,1984 for M.B.Transport.

Order cancelled transferred to general sales (original order from Keystone Mack)

Sold to Wm. Cavill & Son Linden NJ on February 14, 1986 14 months later

E9 440 Mack V8 Now has 500 V8

T-2100 trans.

12000 fr. FAW 537 C

REAR SA34C CARRIER CRDPC92193 4.17 RATIO

SUSP.ARD234.6 AIR CONTROL KIT FOR SA34C A577-MI

OK STEERING GEAR 392S POWER STEERING

Like i said before I have never seen this axle mount steering before but, I've been told they work OK. Now the build date being an 84 makes sense for this box being there. The motor thats in it now is A E9 500 according to the valve cover tag I'll check the block # now that I have the orig. engine #. The frame is on piece single front to back no splice under cab, it does have the round head lites and the interior color is Burgandy I thought it was black but what the hell do I know!!does any one remember this truck? any info about it would be helpfull since I will be Buying it this week.

Thanks for any help Ernie BULLHUSK PS sorry for being A pain in the ass with all the questions but what I don't know I have to learn.

When I first started my job here at the dealership (22 years ago) my second oil change/service was on a old RW sleeper truck that had a Cummins engine, it to had the steering gear under the LH steer axle spring, I always thought that was strange. I have seen a old Mack cabover with the same set-up, I think it was a Cruiseliner. We used to have some old ones out back for parts. I used to cut off the big draglink tube ( tube from steering box to passenger side steering knuckle) and use them for blackpower cannon barrels, very thick and seamless. The steering box is just a Sheppard 92 series with a different style mount. My Sheppard 92 series service manual covers this model. The 92 series is a great steering box used in mostly in extra heavy duty use (dump truck and garabge trucks) and was used by Mack till just a year or so ago. I took a class at Mack on steering gears 10-15 years ago sadly Mack dosent offer classes on them any more ( or on most vendor componets). I pulled up your truck on my warranty side and it has a recall on the seat belts? Federal recalls never expire! Selling Dealer Code: H327

Vehicle Details

Make: Mack Model: RWS722LST

Model Year: 1985

Application: Other GVWR:

Vocation:

VIN: 1M2V230Y3FM001471 Cab Size:

Build Date: 12/11/1984 Shipment Date:

Delivery Date: 02/14/1986 Delivery Odometer:

Registration Transferred: No Registration Completed: Yes

Owner/Lessee Details

Name: WM CAVILL & SON

• 5 months later...

how do you get in touch with mach archives.I own a 1985 superliner with steering mounted on axle and it was orginally a 24 "tire truck.12.00r24 rear and same in front.now has 1100r22 on it cause rest of fleet(25 other superliners) had this size.any help is welcomed.

The Mack Trucks Archives are housed at The Mack Trucks Historical Museum in Allentown, PA. They are undergoing a move to the New Mack Customer Center at this time and I am not sure what will change with the phone numbers. The are open 10-4 MWF, they are not taking visitors at this point as the bulk of the records and all of the trucks have been moved.

The Mack Trucks Historical Museum

Don Schumaker, Curator

997 Postal Road

Allentown, PA 18103

Telephone: 610-266-6767

Fax: 610-266-6823

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org