Spoke To Budd Conversion ?'s

Guest Macks and Brockways

Guest Macks and Brockways

My 89 superliner has budd front with dayton/spoke rear on a 50/55k Camel back. I would dearly love to have polished "budds" on the rear, Besides finding one in a junk yard..what is all is involved in switching one over? I like the way the truck is geared and would love to just change to hub piloted wheels ..thanks in advance.

you said it at thr end of your post ......... if you are going through the trouble of swapping spokes to aluminum rims you might as well swap to hub piloted hubs and do your fronts hubs too..budd lugs suck ...i've had to cut plenty off in my time..hub pilots are very very big improvement over a budd setup...

I think you just need to order new hubs and drums.ie outboard drums ...another improvement over spokes heehe..

any one have some advice here.. i want to swap my b 81 to hubpilot 24.5s too.

later,

Deo

\x/ hillfolk!

Keep on keeping on...

The switching over is the easy part. Its buying the new rims and tires that kill ya. Hubs are 300-400 bucks around here and you need 4. Aluminum rims are probobly near that and you need 8 unless you run steel inners. Then you have 8 new tires. Just make sure wheel nuts are torqued properly. Ive seen more axles hubs and bearings ruined by people with chisels tightening wheel nuts.

Chris

My 89 superliner has budd front with dayton/spoke rear on a 50/55k Camel back. I would dearly love to have polished "budds" on the rear, Besides finding one in a junk yard..what is all is involved in switching one over? I like the way the truck is geared and would love to just change to hub piloted wheels ..thanks in advance.

I like spoke hubs, they are ugly when you paint the whole thing one color and then let em get dirty. Paint the hub red or blue (or whatever color you want) and then paint the clamps with silver paint. Put polished hub covers on your rears and then buy those snap on polished nut covers and cover the studs for the brake drum. You can paint the rim white or silver, or possibly chrome the rim. They will look real good once you get some color variation. Will be cheaper in the long run :D

Just my 2 cents.

These are fine examples of gook lookin daytons (sorry if the pics take too long to load)

gallery_122_56_222298.jpg

gallery_10_3_72506.jpg

There are from Hanks site:

ult_hooker2.jpg

ijs_transport_kw3.jpg

blackneys_transport_kw.jpg

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

If it was mine, I'd switch the front over to daytons.

I've had trucks with Dayton's & I've had trucks with Budds & Unimounts

I prefer the Daytons, once you paint them up nice, your good to go for a long time, long as they're kept clean.

None of that constant polishing BS, & worrying about corrosion & tarnishing from winter driving.

A lot easier to change too, in my opinion

05_24_2.jpg

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Adding to what HK said it is possible the sheer the studs off on a budd setup unlike spoke where it will slip instead. Of course youd have to be in a low gear and heavy foot to accomplish that.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

22.5 and 24.5 Budd wheels may not fit on your 50/55k Budd hubs (if you can find them). The hole in the center of the wheel is 8 1/4 inchs. The axle caps on my 58k are 9 7/8 inchs. Every truck I've seen with heavy rears and Budd wheels had 24 inch tube type wheels. They come in a larger bolt pattern with a larger center hole. I've never seen a 24 inch aluminum wheel (with either bolt pattern). You may need to change to 44k axles. Good luck.