This Could Only Happen To Me

i asked more than a couple times if this truck had a fresh service on it when i bought it, and was told yes, just serviced.

they replaced both long power steering lines, surely one of the bolts that hold the lines didn't get picked up by accident?

maybe used same drain pan for both jobs, screw got left in pan, and drain plug got dropped, it's a long shot, but possible.....

Your safe on this one, Its a common Mack screw but not used anywhere inside the engine.

Reminds me of something that happened last year at the shop where I work.

We got a factory rebuilt 3116 Cat engine for one of the 950F loaders.

The engine came with a magnetic drain plug in the oil pan, but the machine application required a quick drain valve and drain hose.

The head mechanic was switching parts over from the old engine to the new one, and when he removed the magnetic oil drain plug there was a bolt stuck to it!

Cat was notified, sent a tech to the shop to investigate, said it looked like a bolt from the fuel rack. They pulled the valve cover and all required bolts were present, so Cat said to install it, run it and they would stand behind it if there were any problems.

So far so good after a winter of plowing snow.

May have been a bolt that was dropped during assembly and fell down into the pan.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

So...would you say that you got 'screwed' or that you have a screw loose...? B)

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I realize I bring nothing to the table on this particular topic of discussion and it's unfortunate to find spare parts in your oil pan. But the next time I visit my brother in St. Louie I'll buy you a beer or twenty. Last time I was there you could still smoke indoors, so I'd be good all day.

Should you become fed up and want to return your truck, might I suggest something similar to this...

i am very happy with this truck, not because of great service, i think it will have all the problems that post 02 have, but i think i got good as i could get, and thats great big!!!!!

what do you think jerry, run it and forget i ever saw it???????

bigen I would play like I never saw it. The experts say it doesn't belong anywhere in the engine so I'm thinking it was dropped in by accident and fell down an oil galley while the cover was off to run the overhead. As many miles as you've run by now I'm betting you're safe.

i am very happy with this truck, not because of great service, i think it will have all the problems that post 02 have, but i think i got good as i could get, and thats great big!!!!!

Gambi said he could use that screw theres a bit of money on the sly here for ya Chuck! Pop that baby in the mail to him!banana.gif

Gambi said he could use that screw theres a bit of money on the sly here for ya Chuck! Pop that baby in the mail to him!banana.gif

its larger than a dash screw or i would mail it to him. i got a buddy with a recked cl il check with him.

this ones getting epoxied to a picture frame with the pix of it stuck to the oil plug.