Into The Mechanicals:

Rob

Hi Jim, all the original seals were "Stemco" and I'm trying to go with Herb's suggestion of CR. The Stemco numbers were discontinued in 1975 by them and there are several new part numbers since. It will come together, just takes a little bit of time. Glad this is not a working truck.

I'd never seen the removable wear ring before and these are shot with a deep groove in them. They did not have a "speedi sleeve" installed, but did not leak. The original seals were leather also.

I kinda knew, you covered all the bases but had to throw it out there anyway.

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

I kinda knew, you covered all the bases but had to throw it out there anyway.

Sure appreciate it. There is always something to overlook. Daughter will be in this truck so wanting it safe as I can make it. If I had the original "Mack" scripted hub caps, I'd go with packing the bearings with grease, but at the present I'll stay with oil.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Sure appreciate it. There is always something to overlook. Daughter will be in this truck so wanting it safe as I can make it. If I had the original "Mack" scripted hub caps, I'd go with packing the bearings with grease, but at the present I'll stay with oil.

Thanks,

Rob

reckon she'd be interested in trading it for a cement mixer?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Sounds like it's coming along nicely. And to think it all started like this

Yea Tom, That was one heck of a ride i'll never forget. That driveshaft came out about five miles back I believe. That roar behind us did finally go away when it came out. I don't believe I saw the big bump in the road though.

mike :unsure:

Sounds like it's coming along nicely. And to think it all started like this

Sure glad you dropped all them parts off at the shop. Sorry I missed you but I was out scouting a new business venture, other wise we'd had dinner and you wouldn't have left so hungry.

Gonna need all that stuff in the near future.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Sure glad you dropped all them parts off at the shop. Sorry I missed you but I was out scouting a new business venture, other wise we'd had dinner and you wouldn't have left so hungry.

Gonna need all that stuff in the near future.

Rob

you're quite welcome. all the other parts (brake shoe, connecting rod, hose) really suck, but I must say the driveshaft was excellent!..well, pretty good anyway...maybe not excellent.

OK, the driveshaft wasn't half bad- it's at least a recognizable part.

you're quite welcome. all the other parts (brake shoe, connecting rod, hose) really suck, but I must say the driveshaft was excellent!

All that stuff was known to be bad so it wasn't missed. The driveshaft would have been missed because they have to be built to the correct length. Besides, I had some gooder stuff at that shop anyways.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Well shit. None of the "S" cams are available any longer. We've checked warehouses all over the country and none in stock any longer to fit this truck. I sent all of them over to a machine shop to have them quote building up and turned back to the original 1.25 inch diameter. The heads are in good condition, as are the splines, but the bearing wear surface is down about .125 on the end opposite the slack adjuster nearest the "S" part of the camshaft. All the seals and wear rings were available and I've got over $200.00 in just these. I sent the new "Stemco" oil hubcaps off to the plater this afternoon so they should look nice in the center of the spoke hubs when back together.

Rob

Got to add a correction to the last post; The rear seals only were over $50.00 each!! The fronts are over $148.00 each due to the removeable wear ring!! OUCH!! I'm getting sore by the day!! These seals are completly different in appearance from the originals in the dirt/grit guard is much more massive and the seal is larger due to this. I'm surprised as the actual sealing surface is leather, and not a rubber product.

I think with all new wheel studs, wedges, and wedge nuts on the rear, with new studs and nuts on the front, seals front and rear, brake shoes, (rear only) bushings, "S" cam rebuilding, hardware, hubcaps, brake chambers, and retaining fasteners, I'll effectively tear up a thousand dollar bill, and maybe half again. This was supposed to be a hobby, not a race to the poor house but at least it will stop!! As good as it runs going forward, I'd sure like to have dependable brakes.

Tonight I'm planning to separate the spiders from the drums and sending these and the sheet metal, (minus the cab as it's still on the frame) to the blaster for cleanup. Got to get with Barry to come up with some stuff also as I need to support the home front. Also will probably haul the engine and trans out over the weekend to allow for thorough cleaning/degreasing, and replacement of rubber mounts. Spent some time between painting jobs diagnosing my pressure washer problem last evening too. My son borrowed it but didn't let me know, and it froze up, (I had winterized it prior). Now a $5500.00 pressure washer not working kinda concerns me but fortunately, the problem will be repaired for about a hundred bucks. The coil rupture disc did it's job to not allow the coil to break.

Whatchall think about the truck being Mack green with black fenders, red running gear, and silver or white painted rims? (I know Herb will think "An Excellent Choice"). I'm also gonna incorporate a breast plate and extended bumper with my corporate logo painted on the face. (That way Other Dog can have a little fun, a.k.a. "Cheap Thrills").

And I said I'd leave it alone............ That has to be right down there with famous last quotes.

Rob

I can see this one in the front yard, wheels crossed for advertisement.

• 2 weeks later...

With the exception of the cams back from the machine shop, and the associated bushings they will ride within, I've got all the brake stuff rounded up. New friction surfaces attached to the aluminum shoes in the rear, new brake hardware for the shoes, new 24/24 spring brake chambers for the drives, new quick release valves for these new chambers, new type 16 service chambers for the steer, new oil seals for all the hubs on the truck, new "Stemco" hubcaps for the steer, (in chrome shop now) new rim wedges for the rears, new studs, nuts, and retaining pins for the wheels. I've ordered the frame bolts and fasteners but have not received them yet. Also have not been able to pull the driveline out due to hurting my back but am feeling a little better, so getting back to it. Have had to stall picking my stuff up from the blaster too cause I sure as hell wasn't going to try to move any of that heavy stuff myself.

I'm planning on hitting this one hard to get it through the shop as I need something to drive. Many things are progressing in the background and once I clear an obstacle, another pops up. I've met the challenge, (so far) and hope to keep progressing.

Rob

The guy has done some wonderful work on building up and turning down my obsolete S cams for the brakes. He also made me a mandrel to push the bushings from the brake adapters but I've not progressed to that point yet. They are to be replaced also so when all is said and done the driveline should be close to new. Have ordered all new slack adjusters too but haven't seen them as of yet.

After hurting my back I've lost a little momentum but still progress slowly. All the brake parts and hardware are now clean and grease free and hopefully I'll get the bushings out, and ordered this week. Still haven't picked up my spokes, drums, and several other things that are at the blaster, but that stuff is done and being stored inside, and the engine/trans is still in the truck but close to ready to pull. The new wedges for the rears came in wrong and another set has been ordered. I have 5/8ths studs, and the received parts were for 3/4" studs so the holes were much too large.

I also removed the rear crossmember from the frame. It is the only one I noticed with any rust buildup behind it. Best to get ahead of it now while the truck is apart cause it isn't going to correct itself.

Progress is slow at this point but when you can't get out of bed to go to work, you kinda know you've overdone it. This was the first time in over 35 years that I've missed a day of work.

Rob

Whatchall think about the truck being Mack green with black fenders, red running gear, and silver or white painted rims? (I know Herb will think "An Excellent Choice"). I'm also gonna incorporate a breast plate and extended bumper with my corporate logo painted on the face. (That way Other Dog can have a little fun, a.k.a. "Cheap Thrills").

And I said I'd leave it alone............ That has to be right down there with famous last quotes.

Rob

I can see this one in the front yard, wheels crossed for advertisement.

don't know about the red running gear,just haven't seen one like it, but the green and black looks great, as do the painted rims. I think it's an excellent choice.