Truck I'm Looking At

Sad to say but it's not uncommon to have lots of warranty claims on ASET engines even the 05-07's. The 05-07's were alot better but we still have the problems with the EGR coolers and coolant push. We usually replaced everything, EGR cooler/mass flow sensor , water pump, thermostats (new style), oil cooler inlet screen and even installed new 1 piece aluminum surge/overflow tank. This usually solved everything. I talked 3 of my best friends into buying 05-07 CXN's and all were somewhat trouble free. The only real downtime was when a turbo would blow. All did have the coolant push but it never caused them to lose work, they would bring them in on friday night and we would fix them on saturday. 1 still runs his CXN every day, The other 2 traded up to a CHU613's with MP8 485HP after running their CXN's for 3-4 years. Now my buddies are all real picky, replace any thing needed, always change oil 10,000 to 15,000 miles, they do everything by the book and it really paid off in the long run. We never found any ASET's with low liners, I think Mack kinda got that figured out around 2002-2003 but anything is possible. Never had any ASET's with Wabco air compressors cause coolant push but had a couple 2004 ASET's with the Bendix compressor cause problems. All most all 05+ have the Wabco. Now the core sand on the 2000-2002 was a whole different story. If I were to buy the truck I would change the thermostats(new style), replace the oil cooler inlet screen, check the belt tensioners for off tracking (while running!!!!), adjust the valves and put the new style rocker arm hold bolts on, have both VECU and EECU ECM's programed with the latest software, and change all trans and rearend oils.

it appears this truck has all of that, except rocker bolts

Rocker bolts are easy!

called The owner yet?

i spoke with owner this afternoon. all problems fixed, just tired of egr problems, has good driver who was tired of truck being down. he made his mind up when last repaired he was done with it, bought different brand of truck.

best i can figure he spent around 12 or $13,000 on this truck at 406,000 miles.

guy has 5 trucks all of them WHERE macks. i didn't ask what he is running now, but he was very clear, there will never be another mack on his yard. maybe i should listen to this guy, i have never driven anything else, maybe i should try.

guy has 5 trucks all of them WHERE macks. i didn't ask what he is running now, but he was very clear, there will never be another mack on his yard. maybe i should listen to this guy, i have never driven anything else, maybe i should try.

Unfortunatly that happens alot!the Aset turned quite a few guys to the dark side,The grass is always greener on the other side!

everyone else has there problems too, there aint no perfect solution.

check out the horror stories from other sites cummins has there egr problems as well, cat aint in the running anymore for the time being Binder has there set of problems,and detroit the same, aint nothing going to be perfect!Like I said before the engine is pretty much reliable now for the most part!

Your call!Not ours.

bigen,

I think you're looking at stepping into a real big pile potentially. You're wanting to get rid of your CX because of all of the repairs and you're looking at getting basically the same truck. It would seem to me that the biggest risk of owning one (ASET Mack) with a single truck fleet is that your always covering the repair costs out of a single source of revenue. These trucks obviously have a history of frequent repairs and upgrades. You're looking at getting into one of these at the end of the warranty, while it appears that the owners are getting out of them right as they would have to foot the bills on their own. Going with a new or recent Mack with an MP might be better in some respects like fuel, but then you're so buried in one for what you've paid that you can't get out of it without taking a total bath. Waiting several years is the likely option and that seems like what the owners did with these trucks you're looking at.

I hate to say it, but running a Pedigreed truck west is a bit different than running Brand X. Trucks that are All Mack have no warranty unless you're at a Mack dealer (don't know about finding a Swedish Sweatshop, they may honor Mack warranty since they own them). Non-warranty work on the road can be done anywhere, but if it involves things that are only found in Macks, you're better off to not let anyone else touch it.

I would look very hard for a pre-ASET Mack with decent miles and an excellent service history. Not only will you get into if for less, you're not dealing with a truck that is legendary for problems. If you do stay with Mack, I'd look very hard at trying to find one locally so that you can work with the dealer if you have problems after the fact.

bigen,

I think you're looking at stepping into a real big pile potentially. You're wanting to get rid of your CX because of all of the repairs and you're looking at getting basically the same truck. It would seem to me that the biggest risk of owning one (ASET Mack) with a single truck fleet is that your always covering the repair costs out of a single source of revenue. These trucks obviously have a history of frequent repairs and upgrades. You're looking at getting into one of these at the end of the warranty, while it appears that the owners are getting out of them right as they would have to foot the bills on their own. Going with a new or recent Mack with an MP might be better in some respects like fuel, but then you're so buried in one for what you've paid that you can't get out of it without taking a total bath. Waiting several years is the likely option and that seems like what the owners did with these trucks you're looking at.

I hate to say it, but running a Pedigreed truck west is a bit different than running Brand X. Trucks that are All Mack have no warranty unless you're at a Mack dealer (don't know about finding a Swedish Sweatshop, they may honor Mack warranty since they own them). Non-warranty work on the road can be done anywhere, but if it involves things that are only found in Macks, you're better off to not let anyone else touch it.

I would look very hard for a pre-ASET Mack with decent miles and an excellent service history. Not only will you get into if for less, you're not dealing with a truck that is legendary for problems. If you do stay with Mack, I'd look very hard at trying to find one locally so that you can work with the dealer if you have problems after the fact.

I agree to a point!Trading down maybe counter productive trade wise is all!

And the truck hes looking at has most of the problems delt with!

duno hard call.

So....what are you going to do???! Anxiously awaiting your decision.

i fond out guy got at least one kw.

they will trade my truck and $25,000 for the cx. that is with new bumper,full tanks,my new mitchelin tires,my fridge,they will install new 5000 watt voltage converter.

as for the ch their offer over the internet was my truck and $35,000

wata u think

Sounds like they're giving you about $23K to $25K for your CX. I don't know what you paid, but are you really willing to take that for your truck? You might be better trying to see what you can get for yours outright.

By the way, Baxmeyer Construction over in Waterloo, IL has a fleet of 5 to 10 CX's, most of which are MP's, but maybe some ASET's. I drove by their yard today and saw the CX's but also a whole fleet of new Peterbilts. They have run Macks for years. May not hurt to call them up and ask for their experience.