2004 Vision

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best engine was the 3406B hands down. CAT started going downhill with the 3406E and when they introduced the C-15 and decided to go with the ACERT technology they shot themselves in the foot big time. I know with CAT being gone Paccar has their own engine, they had that in development for the past few years and put that in class 7 trucks. International has their Maxxforce which is nothing more than a C-15 block but has International stamped on it. If CAT would have went to the EGR like everyone else it may not have been so bad for them. What shocks me is Freightliner is offering Cummins again in their trucks. I know back in 02 they dropped Cummins and CAT and only offered Detroit and Mercedes until around 06-07 and then they went back to strictly Detroits.

If it were me in an aging and troublesome truck, there would be no hesitation in my decision to repower mechanical and interface new gauges and such to work.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I am just tired of spending a ton of money on this truck.All I had for 20 years was cummins.From the 220 to the 430 N 14.No turbo replacements,and only 2 cheap injectors.I bet I spend $15000.00 on the mack and counting.The radiator was garbage,the turbo,charge air cooler,the oil line behind the ecm,trans.Now the injectors.I just three years.I had it with the darn thing.

I am just tired of spending a ton of money on this truck.All I had for 20 years was cummins.From the 220 to the 430 N 14.No turbo replacements,and only 2 cheap injectors.I bet I spend $15000.00 on the mack and counting.The radiator was garbage,the turbo,charge air cooler,the oil line behind the ecm,trans.Now the injectors.I just three years.I had it with the darn thing.

Thanks for mentioning that. I'd forgot about the oil line behind the ECM, the radiator blowing apart, and a $1400 radiator for the EGR. I think we can all say we wouldn't have another 460 Mack

Now you know your gonna get picked on.

I'm gonna stick to my guns on that one...though, I'd prefer Kenworth over a Pete.

The Peterbilt comment was for that one guy who drives one and gets picked on for it.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Is there someone that is singled out and picked on besides me here? I thought I read every post but I guess I've missed some.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

good motor with an absolute p.o.s. ECM I did not get to enjoy all that up time that the cumapart guys brag about

Except for a radiator that's where all my Peterbilt problems have been- the C-15 engine. When I take it up here to Cat in Lynchburg it looks like F.L.M. has opened a terminal there because there's usually several more trucks there too. Every time I leave i'm wondering when the engine light's gonna come on. I drove many trucks with the N14 and didn't worry about a thing. Then the ISX comes along, and it's back and forth to Cummins because of EGR issues. Had to go all the way to Roanoke to Cummins, maybe that's partly why they went to Cat power. As we've heard here, Mack has their problems too.

But, as i've said before, I don't blame the engine manufacturers. When they get something pretty much perfected, like the N14, they have to change it to meet new emissions standards and it's a never ending battle.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Except for a radiator that's where all my Peterbilt problems have been- the C-15 engine. When I take it up here to Cat in Lynchburg it looks like F.L.M. has opened a terminal there because there's usually several more trucks there too. Every time I leave i'm wondering when the engine light's gonna come on. I drove many trucks with the N14 and didn't worry about a thing. Then the ISX comes along, and it's back and forth to Cummins because of EGR issues. Had to go all the way to Roanoke to Cummins, maybe that's partly why they went to Cat power. As we've heard here, Mack has their problems too.

But, as i've said before, I don't blame the engine manufacturers. When they get something pretty much perfected, like the N14, they have to change it to meet new emissions standards and it's a never ending battle.

I had alot of ECM issues with my N-14 when the check engine light came on it was game over engine dead no limp mode internally motor is fine injectors cheap not by along shot $500 a hole last I heard, never ever ever have another one the 01 427 is leaps and bounds better than the 460 n-14

I'm with Other Dog on that one you can't blame the engine manufacture's blame the EPA. Cummins has always had EGR problems from the start. Not sure if they have got it fixed yet. I don't recall Detroit having too many problems if any at all. Maybe F.L.M got a bad batch of CATs cause the ones we had where I was working at never had any problems really. I guess with CAT it was really a luck of the draw deal for customers, either you got lucky or you got stuck with a bunch of gremlins.

• 2 weeks later...

Mack dealer nearby has a 2004 Vision for sale...460hp, dual pipes, wet kit, 13sp...spec'd out to what I need and want.

I've seen various posts/topics on the post '03 trucks, but most have been bad (maybe I should take the hint?). I was just wondering the good, the bad and the ugly about the 2004's.

Do have Eger colant problems and are exspensive as hell for trubo(up to $5000 to replace),but nice riding and good for getting in to tight spots(shorter wheel base)

Southern Girls Rule!136.jpg