2004 Vision

The truck in the picture is indeed mine. I spose I'll run it 'till the wheels fall off.

I can't believe no one has one good thing to say about that series of Macks. lol

Tell you where I really f&(^&d up...early september I stumbled across a 2000 CH 460hp...242k mi...almost mint condition...for $35,000...bit too high for me to go for it but in retrospect it was a buy.

post-1977-12618436913904_thumb.jpg

post-1977-12618437008121_thumb.jpg

post-1977-12618437103831_thumb.jpg

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How short of service time did this truck provide due to being back at the dealer for repairs while in your brother's ownership? With him replacing it with an 06 model, seems like a short timeframe.

I had a lawyer shove a new Ford diesel up the dealer's ass because of lousy craftsmanship on the assembly line of the engine in 95. That is why I drive my Dodge now. Pay cash for a brand new truck and get less than 100 miles on the clock before my rollback is carting it back to the dealership. Turned out the injector cups were bad in the head(s) and wasted the engine with coolant. New engine, and after three weeks downtime, the thing wouldn't start cold due to faulty HEUI controller a couple days after getting it back. Back for another that didn't last a month and I'd had enough.

Swore the damned thing was a Pete so I got rid of it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well if you notice Ford and Peterbit's are both ovals one is red and the other blue. Very similar!

Kissing Cousins?

Actually I've been a die hard Mopar fan since childhood due to very dependable service. At the time I purchased that Ford I was doing all the auto body repair work for the dealership so wanted to keep business local. That truck was not a fatal flaw in our relationship, but it definately strained it at the time.

The owner passed away a couple years later and his son in law ran it out of business within five years so it is now gone. Ford didn't want to support their "small dealers" while struggling for their own very survival anyways.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Kissing cousins, I wondered that one myself! lol

Is it possible to change an AI motor back to a E7? Maybe a camshaft change to eliminate the recirculation of spent exhaust gases? My 06 Granite runs like a piece of crap and the dealer did all they could so now it is my turn to try to fix it!

my 2004 is paid for. if i were fighting a payment and repairs, i would have allready gone under. looks like i mite have to borrow just to keep it going,i would sell and get away from the 04 for a lot less than what your talking about.

I've got the twin to yours and your story sounds like my story.

post-1827-12618878298111_thumb.jpg

ive been reading some of your post. im dreading the turbo, but i think a compresor is probably next on my list, i was told to replum to get away from merritor comp. ang go back to bendix. hoping to someday haul a load and get to keep profits, instead of dumping them rite back into this truck.

Ha...now the salesman won't leave me alone. Practically begging me to demo the truck. Said it'll cost around $6k to put a Jake on it...since the motor was spec'd to not have one, the cam and related valve train needs to be swapped out to install Jacobs Jake Brake (not "power leash"...what's the difference between the 2?). They'd split the cost allegedly. I don't know. Bit hard to swallow, price-wise.

1. You're a rare person who shows a remote interest in an out-of-warranty ASET Mack, despite their industry-wide bad reputation.

2. This is the absolute worst truck sales economy in modern history.

3. You have a truck that is much more marketable (price, quality) for them that they would love to steal from you if you'd trade

OF COURSE THEY ARE PRACTICALLY BEGGING YOU!!!!! :)

Be completely honest with yourself. If the ASET still isn't enough of a factor, The Jake alone on this deal should be enough to walk away. At $6K, you're already talking in-frame price or darn close to it, and that is what you said was your worst fear on your current CH that you know most everything else about. If it were me, I'd have to consider the fact that its not the truck for me if it needs an option installed that costs 15-20% of the purchase price (assuming price in the $30's for it).

Whatever you decide, I hope you make the right choice for you.

Edited by convoyduel

1. You're a rare person who shows a remote interest in an out-of-warranty ASET Mack, despite their industry-wide bad reputation.

2. This is the absolute worst truck sales economy in modern history.

3. You have a truck that is much more marketable (price, quality) for them that they would love to steal from you if you'd trade

OF COURSE THEY ARE PRACTICALLY BEGGING YOU!!!!! :)

Be completely honest with yourself. If the ASET still isn't enough of a factor, The Jake alone on this deal should be enough to walk away. At $6K, you're already talking in-frame price or darn close to it, and that is what you said was your worst fear on your current CH that you know most everything else about. If it were me, I'd have to consider the fact that its not the truck for me if it needs an option installed that costs 15-20% of the purchase price (assuming price in the $30's for it).

Whatever you decide, I hope you make the right choice for you.

They said they'd eat half the cost of the Jake install. Anyway...I'm not planning on buying it...especially at the price out the door he quoted me...$39,500. I don't plan on trading either, regardless of what/where I buy.

It's been a while since I've seen the pot stirred such as it has with this topic...haha.

It's been a while since I've seen the pot stirred such as it has with this topic...haha.

I always avoid stirred pots "Like the Plague"; As you already know.

Rob

their great looking trucks,mine runs and pulls like it's pissed off the quietest,best driving truck i ever sat in.

but where does the money sucking end?

I don't know bigen. If I had to depend on mine to pay it's own way it never never made it's own payment. The reason I keep it is because people more knowledgeable than me know it isn't worth a trade-in and I've spent too much on it to just urinate it away. I've been thinking about putting an old school mechanical 427 Mack in it but don't know how much alteration it would take. Maybe someday someone will post the info for that swap.

I've owned B model and H model and R models all my life and kept good credit with them while raising 5 kids and paying off 2 farms and homes but this 04 Vision is in a whole different category but I do give it credit for being the most comfortable truck I've ever drove including KW and Pete long legged huge cars.

Hello all.I`m new to the site.I came looking for answers for my POS.Trucking for almost 30 years,this is the first POS I bought.had all the problems mentioned,including now with 3 bad injectors.It about broke me when the $5000.00 turbo took a dump.Good all to all of us with the New Year.Where can you get some cheap injectors?

Hello all.I`m new to the site.I came looking for answers for my POS.Trucking for almost 30 years,this is the first POS I bought.had all the problems mentioned,including now with 3 bad injectors.It about broke me when the $5000.00 turbo took a dump.Good all to all of us with the New Year.Where can you get some cheap injectors?

Wouldn't "cheap" injectors be prone to early failure? I've never understood why people are so willing to spend a dollar to save a dime. Between the parts & labor, I'd rather just buy quality and do the job right the first time, rather than buying "cheap" and having to do the job again in a few months.

...but that's just me. :tease:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Wouldn't "cheap" injectors be prone to early failure? I've never understood why people are so willing to spend a dollar to save a dime. Between the parts & labor, I'd rather just buy quality and do the job right the first time, rather than buying "cheap" and having to do the job again in a few months.

...but that's just me. :tease:

RowdyRebel not to be argumentative with you but the last 2 water pumps, 3 EUP, 2 injector nozzles, and high dollar turbo I bought from Mack were all a POS and prematurely failed but the "cheaper" ones I replaced the OEM Mack parts with from M&D Injection haven't failed, plus that the M & D injection parts carry a 1 year replacement warranty, no questions asked. The Mack warranty was to buy another new part from Mack while they send the failed part back to Memphis to "determine" the cause of failure. If they determine the failure was really a failure Mack will prorate a partial refund that doesn't include the extra part I had to buy, or the core charge I had to pay while they "determine" the failure and leave me core-less. If petetheo has been dealing with genuine Mack parts then maybe cheaper really is more cost effective.

On the up side Mack did finally and under protest refund $3100 of the $3600 on their new turbo that only lasted 6100 miles before failure, but no refund on the EUP and no refund on the injector nozzles, no refund on water pumps. I still don't understand how I turned in my old turbo for core and they kept the failed turbo with nothing back to me as a core and Mack still kept my $500 core charge.

At one time I would do without parts before I bought anything besides genuine Mack replacement parts but I don't speak enough Chinese or Spanish to carry on a relationship with them anymore and I won't spend thousands of dollars on non-warranted parts. Like I said I'm not arguing nor crying about it I'm just saying maybe petetheo hasn't had such a good experience with Mack either.

RowdyRebel not to be argumentative with you but the last 2 water pumps, 3 EUP, 2 injector nozzles, and high dollar turbo I bought from Mack were all a POS and prematurely failed but the "cheaper" ones I replaced the OEM Mack parts with from M&D Injection haven't failed, plus that the M & D injection parts carry a 1 year replacement warranty, no questions asked. The Mack warranty was to buy another new part from Mack while they send the failed part back to Memphis to "determine" the cause of failure. If they determine the failure was really a failure Mack will prorate a partial refund that doesn't include the extra part I had to buy, or the core charge I had to pay while they "determine" the failure and leave me core-less. If petetheo has been dealing with genuine Mack parts then maybe cheaper really is more cost effective.

On the up side Mack did finally and under protest refund $3100 of the $3600 on their new turbo that only lasted 6100 miles before failure, but no refund on the EUP and no refund on the injector nozzles, no refund on water pumps. I still don't understand how I turned in my old turbo for core and they kept the failed turbo with nothing back to me as a core and Mack still kept my $500 core charge.

At one time I would do without parts before I bought anything besides genuine Mack replacement parts but I don't speak enough Chinese or Spanish to carry on a relationship with them anymore and I won't spend thousands of dollars on non-warranted parts. Like I said I'm not arguing nor crying about it I'm just saying maybe petetheo hasn't had such a good experience with Mack either.

There's a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive". :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I test drove that truck today, just drove it around the block and down the highway a few miles. Nice ride, but didn't like how it ran. I know it's different, but yea...definately no deal. Weird letting off the gas and there still being 20lbs of boost 5 seconds after.

Time to find a Peterbilt with an N14.

I don't know bigen. If I had to depend on mine to pay it's own way it never never made it's own payment. The reason I keep it is because people more knowledgeable than me know it isn't worth a trade-in and I've spent too much on it to just urinate it away. I've been thinking about putting an old school mechanical 427 Mack in it but don't know how much alteration it would take. Maybe someday someone will post the info for that swap.

I've owned B model and H model and R models all my life and kept good credit with them while raising 5 kids and paying off 2 farms and homes but this 04 Vision is in a whole different category but I do give it credit for being the most comfortable truck I've ever drove including KW and Pete long legged huge cars.

i got a new cl713 in 2001 best truck i ever had or seen triaxel dump near 100,000 gvw every time it was loaded no problems ever. iguess when you have that much good luck,its gota turn around sooner or later. maybe its my turn in the barrel