Air Brake Opn My '94 Ch Elite Tipper

Tonyr

G'day again blokes n bloke-etts!

my CHR '94 mod, tipper......still getting it bugs out, last owner disconnected the engine brake as he said misuse by drivers can do damage, I've had it wired back up, but the thing is useless.

like, not even worth using.....it is the quiet tinny sounding one, not the loud growl one, surely this is meant to work much better, if so.....what if anything can be done to make this brake system slow this big dog down?

still tracking down air leaks, got mechanic coming today......nearly got it good, as in very good lol.

here is my latest pics.....

DSCF0912.jpg

DSCF0913.jpg

DSCF0914.jpg

2f8fef46.jpg

btw, main air leak previously was seal on top of gearbof, something to do with splitter, took mechanic 2 mins to fix, just reached in and tightened it.....I was expecting huge job!

now, last leak is behind dash behind steering wheel where the air guage, speedo etc is located, if I put pressure on dash I can hear the air sound change, hmmmmmm. I haven't looked to see.....leave it to mechanic.

plus, lastly, 2 simple jobs, making the filter minder work, replacement plus replace old hose behind, then new interior cab/map light......wow, they cost a lot!

plus, if mechanic gets here and done in time I'm getting the rear window tinted, should look great.

truck officially starts work on monday, running outa time lol.

pressure is on!

Part of the problem is the steering wheel is on the wrong side!!! LMAO

The 'O' rings (or what ever those 'Down under' call them) in your Jake may need replacing. If the oil is leaking by the 'O' rings, things don't work well - - - very little braking!

A few 'Viton' (these are Hi temp I think, 'Buna' are low temp) O rings, a bent paper clip, and an hour or so might fix you up.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Part of the problem is the steering wheel is on the wrong side!!! LMAO

The 'O' rings (or what ever those 'Down under' call them) in your Jake may need replacing. If the oil is leaking by the 'O' rings, things don't work well - - - very little braking!

A few 'Viton' (these are Hi temp I think, 'Buna' are low temp) O rings, a bent paper clip, and an hour or so might fix you up.

Packer

thanks mate!

I'll check those seals......

was waiting for the ole steering wheel joke lol......if you saw the things we call roads here you'd be confused too! lol......no wander we drink! ha ha

You can get a whole tune up kit for your Jake, also...it includes the orings, springs and all those little parts that tend to make a Jake not work right!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

• 3 months later...

MACK has a retrofit kit for an EXTERNAL oil line for the engine brake, had mine serviced was still weak , they did the retofit and now its working like it should

G'Day Blokes!

I got the air brake/jake system kit installed, kit alone was $340 plus a huge labour bill....they found a worn out pin, dunno what it does but truck was offroad 2 days, funny thing is brake does not work any better.

I asked mechanic boss whether it can be adjusted to work better, he said no, kit is pre set and it seemed to work when he tested it. it won't slow truck......either he doesn't want to adjust it or mack simply make a crappy air brake. for the cost, downtime etc, I wish I didn't bother with this.

great truck, crap air brake it seems.

question..... do you guys get your engines tuned, or simply wait until they need rebuilding?

you don't want to know what a tune up costs, plus any injector replacement, or feul pump work.....cheaper to wreck truck almost lol. :wacko:

G'Day Blokes!

I got the air brake/jake system kit installed, kit alone was $340 plus a huge labour bill....they found a worn out pin, dunno what it does but truck was offroad 2 days, funny thing is brake does not work any better.

I asked mechanic boss whether it can be adjusted to work better, he said no, kit is pre set and it seemed to work when he tested it. it won't slow truck......either he doesn't want to adjust it or mack simply make a crappy air brake. for the cost, downtime etc, I wish I didn't bother with this.

great truck, crap air brake it seems.

question..... do you guys get your engines tuned, or simply wait until they need rebuilding?

you don't want to know what a tune up costs, plus any injector replacement, or feul pump work.....cheaper to wreck truck almost lol. :wacko:

Everyone I have asked says the Dynatard Is as good on as it is off. If you want to get real stopping power a jake brake or clone like the pac brake is the way to go.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!