Best Cb Radio For The Buck?

I could've opted for the radio with the freq counter but it was $100 more...

I don't know if I could handle the ginormous antenna though, the Wilson whip I have now is 4' and it takes a pretty good beating..makes me wonder if something actually hit the mirror bracket.

eh, you get used to the noise. It was funny...I was following a guy and we went under a 13'8" bridge. I knew I was going to smack it with the antenna...so when I did, I told him "I just hit the bridge" in as serious-sounding voice as I could muster. :tease: Of course he got all concerned...thinking maybe the bed was up a little.... :lol:

I had to mount it on the lower mirror bracket...and held a couple of those plastic insulator things into the stock CB mount and passed the antenna through that hole in the top mirror bracket to keep it upright and not blowing in the wind. Like I said, for $15-$20, I don't worry about it getting beat up. I sure wouldn't want a $70 antenna to be getting into everything. This whip is the same one I had on a flatbed truck running OTR for 6 months before coming to this company...where I had it on the company truck for over a year and a half before I bought my Mack and moved it over onto it. The things been getting into everything for almost 4 years and still works as good as it did when it was new. Not bad for $15-$20.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Yeah man you can't destroy those 102" and for the price it's worth it. The good thing with the 102's and is you can mount them anywhere and pretty much have a flat swr unless you got a grounding issue. You running a spring on your's Rowdy?

yeah, but just to help reduce the shock to the mirror bracket when it whacks something... :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

yeah, but just to help reduce the shock to the mirror bracket when it whacks something... :thumb:

They say you must run a spring in order to bring the antenna to 108". I thought about getting one of them 102" but I'm quite happy with my Wilson to change. I don't want to smack everything and be faced with fines for damaging anything and I never expected anyone to run a 102 on a rig. I know ya can't run one on them new Cascadia's or 387's or T2000's cause they got that stupid cab mounted antenna so it would make a 102" way too tall.

They say you must run a spring in order to bring the antenna to 108". I thought about getting one of them 102" but I'm quite happy with my Wilson to change. I don't want to smack everything and be faced with fines for damaging anything and I never expected anyone to run a 102 on a rig. I know ya can't run one on them new Cascadia's or 387's or T2000's cause they got that stupid cab mounted antenna so it would make a 102" way too tall.

Whatcha gonna damage? Hell, just keep on truckin'. Besides, you're in a pickup. I got a 102" mounted on a fat spring on the rail around the top of a toolbox in the bed of my F250. Stopped, it only reaches 13'6"...when I'm driving, the wind keeps it considerably lower. On the Mack, though, the way it's mounted, the wind doesn't affect it much since it passes through the hole in the top mirror bracket...holds it upright. B)

This CB radio business is expensive...You know what CB means don't ya? Constantly Buying and it's true. :lol:

Not really. I've got less than $300 in the set-up I'm running....General Lee, Astatic mic, 102" whip, and the coax. Been working for me untouched for a few years. The oldest General Lee I have is in my F250...going on 6 years. The one in the Mack is only around 2 years old, though. The company truck I was driving at the time was broken into and General Lee #2 was stolen...so this is #3. #1 is in my F250 and is probably 6 years old.

Hell, when I FIRST started driving trucks, I had an old Royce 23 channel radio...the thing was older than I was. Some lowlife scum sucking maggot broke into that company truck and stole it, too. That one hurt because it had been my grandpa's radio...pulled it out of his Mack when they came out with the 40 channel radio.

I friggin' HATE thieves. :angry:

Anyway, ya ain't GOTTA spend a lot of money...just go for the best bang for your bucks. :thumb:

Not really. I've got less than $300 in the set-up I'm running....General Lee, Astatic mic, 102" whip, and the coax. Been working for me untouched for a few years. The oldest General Lee I have is in my F250...going on 6 years. The one in the Mack is only around 2 years old, though. The company truck I was driving at the time was broken into and General Lee #2 was stolen...so this is #3. #1 is in my F250 and is probably 6 years old.

Hell, when I FIRST started driving trucks, I had an old Royce 23 channel radio...the thing was older than I was. Some lowlife scum sucking maggot broke into that company truck and stole it, too. That one hurt because it had been my grandpa's radio...pulled it out of his Mack when they came out with the 40 channel radio.

I friggin' HATE thieves. :angry:

Anyway, ya ain't GOTTA spend a lot of money...just go for the best bang for your bucks. :thumb:

I agree with that last line, and the biggest part of comes from the antenna and coax cable. If you don't have good coax cable or a good antenna your performance is going to suffer. Especially if you got high SWR that will really hamper a setup and burn up some finals. I'm with ya there man I hate thieves myself and that is why I went to a Cobra 29 Classic which I love to death cause it seems like a 29 is a less desirable radio to steal as compared to a General Lee or Connex.

I agree with that last line, and the biggest part of comes from the antenna and coax cable. If you don't have good coax cable or a good antenna your performance is going to suffer. Especially if you got high SWR that will really hamper a setup and burn up some finals. I'm with ya there man I hate thieves myself and that is why I went to a Cobra 29 Classic which I love to death cause it seems like a 29 is a less desirable radio to steal as compared to a General Lee or Connex.

This time around, I installed it in a manner in which whoever wants it is going to need some special tools to get it...everything from special fasteners (instead of those thumb screws) to under-dash reinforcement...and even then, it'll take 'em a while to get it out. Plus I got a dog, now, which pretty much starts barking as soon as anyone gets anywhere NEAR the house, and if someone's messing with my truck, my shotgun is loaded w/ shells containing a .65 round ball followed up by 6 #1 bucks...exiting the barrel at 1300 fps, so if ya can't outrun the lead, it's best not me messin' with my ride. Hell, it'll blow holes through 2x6 boards all day long, too...so whatcha think that'll do to a thief's torso?

Remember...

bigamina4.jpg

;)