Need To Buy Some Tools:

Rob

Been thinking, (dangerous thing you know) and I really need to get this impact thing finished up. You guys that do a lot more wrenching on trucks than I do can prolly answer this unbiased:

I'm going to purchase one of the impacts in the link below. I don't know if I should get the extended drive anvil or not. I have a 1" CP drive wrench for taking the tires and wheels off a truck, but this new wrench would probably do the same thing. I've never used a 3/4" extension on an impact with this much torque available, and even a 1/2" wrench when used through an extension can get wobbly with a loss of torque.

My question is pretty straightforward: Do I need to purchase the extended anvil or not and what are the pros and cons besides the length?

Thanks,

Rob

http://www.maxtool.com/product/search.asp?mdb=\tools.mdb,tbl=IC_ITEMS,template=/3_ir.htm,DBCOMP=ABS,dbsort=retail,ReturnMax=25,DB_CAT2=IRImpTQt

Wrenches I'm interested in are the last two at bottom.

Mornin' Rob.

I've got one in my toolbox that's similar to that IR2161XP (short shank).

I just use a impact type extension on it if I need extra reach, haven't had a problem.

The reason I bought the short shank model was because it will get under the Mack rear spring boxes without jacking the truck way the hell up as would be necessary with the long shank model.

Our shop also has 2 similar "company owned" impact wrenches, both short shank type.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Hi Herb, I've sent you a couple of pm's about my brake progress but they have not been seen as per the status of the message? I guess your notification is not working? I finally got everything back together and appreciate the help and guidance.

I am leaning on the short shank wrench myself. I am just concerned about the use of an extension with it.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It has got to were the tool guys like snapon and mac or maco has a bit of trouble keeping tool men in busness very long. Last month i had serval air tools that neeeded to go to snapon for repairs so i found a salesman and told him i would be bring him some tools over . The next week he went out of business so i guess i am luckey i did not get in a hurry and give him about 5 tools to send in.

glenn akers

It has got to were the tool guys like snapon and mac or maco has a bit of trouble keeping tool men in busness very long. Last month i had serval air tools that neeeded to go to snapon for repairs so i found a salesman and told him i would be bring him some tools over . The next week he went out of business so i guess i am luckey i did not get in a hurry and give him about 5 tools to send in.

The Mac tools salesman that I had at the shop made it clear that he would be ceasing operations three months prior to ensure all of his customers were taken care of. I really don't have a lot of Mac tools myself any longer, but the few that needed attention, he made damn sure were taken care of. We repainted his van, then sold it to a worthwhile charity, (dirt cheap) and have not looked back.

I guess it was a tough way to make a living.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Good ole fleabay. Tonight Mr. UPS man brought my new Armstrong 3/4" drive ratchet and it is as advertised. Brand new with tags, and made in the USA. I like it as it has much finer teeth than most I've seen. It looks a lot like a Snap-on brand in the head shape.

Rob