My Favorite Non-Mack Truck.......

kevin444

Good choice, I bet there were quit a few around Michigan in the day pulling Michigan doubles. My favorite non Mack would have to be the 1980 Freightlier cabover with the 3408 Caterpillar my dad had when I was a kid. He used to pull a set of Ontario A trains with it running in Ont. and Mich back in the 80's.

I would have to have a heavy spec, treadplate fender Autocar with a large Cummins. Never have had a Cummins engine before and assuming I would like it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

In the '70's we had a few Autocar's like that running around (tractors pulling gravel-trains, and truck and pup trailer), with most having Cummins turbo 855, or Cat 3406. Saw a few COE Freightliner's pulling trains around Saginaw. But there were MANY K-100 Kenworths, and many GMC Astro 95's pulling gravel trains everywhere in the state. The kenworth's usually had Cat 1693TA or 3406 A/B, or V-12 detroits, and at least an SSHD or 44DS tandems. The Astro's had either 12v71n, 8v92n, or 8v92ta detroits, or 350+ h.p. Cummins, and at least SSHD or 44DS tandems.

What few Brockway's I did see were either U360LL dump truck with pup trailer, or U459TL COE tractors with V-12 detroits pulling gravel trains, all with at least SSHD or 44DS.

from the land of Gravel-Trains!!!

I consider Brockway a part of Mack. The design and styling of the Superliner came from Brockway.

FW

I drove an old brockway for a few months in a steel mill hauling slag, all of it off road, in bout 1973, truck was probably sixty something year model, it was really ragged out, but it looked a lot like b-mack cause of rounded fenders and all, I couldnt even begin to remember engine or trans. type or anything, just know it was hot and noisy in there.

I would have to have a heavy spec, treadplate fender Autocar with a large Cummins. Never have had a Cummins engine before and assuming I would like it.

Rob

Thats me 2 Rob my granddad had 2 79' DK Model AutoCar Tandem dumps W/ NTC 400 Cummins (turned to 450 by 1 of my granddad drivers who was a orig a Cummins mechanic) 8LL Tranny, 20k f/a 44k rockwell r/a on walking beam suspension, & double framed & A/C & AM/FM Radio's & 16' beds w/2way tailgates these 2 trucks were white w/ black beds & black dayton style hubs & would walk right in there w/ our Bulldog's & right back out loaded in some of worse conditions ya could put a truck in & sound good doing it too w/ 5"strights ;)

I Miss those 2 Acars my granddad bought em new in 79 & sold them both to a buddy of his in Al. back in 2003 Both trucks still in good shape hauling rock out of Vulcan pit in Tuscalossa , Al.

later yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude: