Help..

DGioMack

I need to replace this part and I dont know what it is called..Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you, guys!

Donna

I'll try to put up more pics..

It has to do with my brakes, it has a crack and is leaking air causing my brake air pressure to drop significantly, unless the truck sits and idles for a bit.

It is bolted on to the cross member and sits on the passenger side of the truck.

:)

Wow, that is a strange animal...I am not sure what it is...maybe someone here has already tangled with something like this can put a name to it.

She said it is mounted on the frame back by the carrier...I though maybe a relay or quick release valve, but I have never seen one like that...

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Wow, that is a strange animal...I am not sure what it is...maybe someone here has already tangled with something like this can put a name to it.

She said it is mounted on the frame back by the carrier...I though maybe a relay or quick release valve, but I have never seen one like that...

I wonder if it has anything to do with vacuum brakes, did they make vacuum over air brakes, it has a fitting that a hose slips on. Ron

Could it be the relay valve? The relay valve has at least 3 lines running to/from it:

-Supply from air reservoir

-Control from brake pedal

-Delivery to brake chambers (there could be more then one delivery port, one for each brake chamber)

Its purpose is to quickly actuate the brakes by using the brake pedal air supply as a simple control signal instead of supplying the full brake pressure through the pedal which would delay the brakes coming on. If one of the lines running out of it goes to the brake chambers then definatly a relay valve. A relay valve has a constant air supply from the reservoir so a leak in it will cause a constant loss of pressure.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

barry, thats the same responce i got when i put one of those on the counter. i eliminated one like it on my b-67 years ago. donna if there is no hose that goes to the barb end and you can trace the other two lines to there origin maybe we can be more sure of what to do with it. scott

Thanks guys. I'll take a run out there tomorrow in the daylight and check it out to see exactly what is going where. My fifth wheel is kinda in my way, but with the light, I'll be able to get more detail to see how many lines there are and where they lead to/from.

I'll post tomorrow !

Thanks!! :chili:

I have a similar "gizmo" like that on my B. It's plumbed off the quick release valve(I think?) I need to take another look. Mine doesn't have a barb on it though. Just a single line coming to it.

I've always wondered what it was for. Don't think there was any part no's on it either.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Hi,

ok, between the rain the other day and the snow (yes...snow) today I was able to get out there and see what the story is with this part.

It has 2 lines that come from it. 1 line is a copper line that goes to the center jammie that has lines that go to both brake chambers. Another line comes out and goes along side the frame rail back into the air tank.

:unsure:

Thad, I think it might be what you were explaining but there are only 2 lines coming out of it. Is it possible there was supposed to be another line and its just not there?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

ok, between the rain the other day and the snow (yes...snow) today I was able to get out there and see what the story is with this part.

It has 2 lines that come from it. 1 line is a copper line that goes to the center jammie that has lines that go to both brake chambers. Another line comes out and goes along side the frame rail back into the air tank.

:unsure:

Thad, I think it might be what you were explaining but there are only 2 lines coming out of it. Is it possible there was supposed to be another line and its just not there?

Thanks for your help!

Yea the snow was funny since the other day it was almost 70. Funny thing is when I drove to Long Island City (north-west Queens) I did not see a single bit of snow. I was the only vehicle that had snow on it.

Hmmm does it constantly leak? Or does it only leak when the brake pedal is pushed? I can’t seem to find an air brake diagram for older trucks which makes identifying the thing difficult. Is it for the service brakes or spring brakes (I assume service)? Relay valves have a minimum of 3 lines for operation. Does a hose attach to that hose barb?

Jeff, do you have only 2 air lines coming and going from that unit? Anyone else?

-Thad

Yes, it constantly hisses out air and the pressure drops significantly. I can feel it and see it leaking from a crack in the side. I'll have to check to see if it says "wagner" on it. It's black (and probably a little dirty) so I never noticed any writing. I'll check it over the weekend.

I couldnt find any diagrams either, Thad. I checked the Mack manual that the museum sent me, and nothing..

I looked at mine this morning, it has a Wagner # of AE-21882......there are 2 lines coming out of it, one going directly to the wet tank (1st tank) and the second goes into a manifold for the service brakes on the frame, directly over the front axle on the drivers side......hope this helps, when you find out what it is let me know.........Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, I will check tomorrow to see what I can find on it. It's pouring here today (I swear I saw an ark!) So I hope to get out there tomorrow am and take a look.

I will definitely keep you all posted.

Thanks for the help !

If it's hooked to the air tank and has a line coming from the service brakes, its just what the last guy said, an automatic moisture ejector... When you hit the brakes, it functions.... Cliff

If that’s the case then you could temporarily bypass it. Is it possible to put an air dryer on the truck and do away with that thing?

-Thad

You might be able to replace it with a standard QR-1 quick release valve if there is not already one on the system...an AD-9 Dryer may also work. Or you can call an auto parts store that handles Wagner and have them cross the number. I don't handle the Wagner line here so I can't do much with that number.

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK