...well That's Not S'posed Ta Happen!

RowdyRebel

So they are working the bridge, so traffic is down to one lane...got a red light controlling the flow. It changed on me before I could get to the light, so I had to stop and wait for it to change again. When it did, I started easing out the clutch...but it didn't feel right, so I pushed the clutch back in and all heck broke loose...literally :blink:

l_ef67e0c50c584e6a8fd4f6b504e3ff28.jpg

That's the clutch brake and pieces of the throwout bearing. Looks like the clutch is going to need to be replaced...so I called Mack to send a wrecker out to get me.

l_bc24a60ac5cb4b0aa71f69db7471ae62.jpg

When he lifted the front end of MY truck, the front end of HIS got reeeeeal light. I was loaded a little heavy, I guess :whistling:

l_41204fdf92b4413eacc617dd42c7df85.jpg

Ready to roll...soon as the light changes!

l_b5023343fa9546539dd848931ace622c.jpg

We got me dumped off, then towed it back up to the Mack dealer to get it fixed tomorrow...they loaned me a pickup to get me home tonight, but my troubles weren't over yet :pat:

l_d3bed1d92e1a415980f626afd2caed92.jpg

Danged lug nuts were on there so tight, I twisted the tire tool trying to get 'em off!

l_2cc3eacdbfdb4fd1a988aabba12b211c.jpg

Needless to say, I'm GLAD today is FINALLY over! :wacko:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Haha everyone has to have some of those days once in a while. Glad your laughing about it. That Mack sure looks light in the front .

What else can you do? Anyway, I'm fixin' ta hook my Ranger up behind the loaner pickup to take their truck back to 'em in case someone else needs it and talk with 'em about the work to be done...I had HOPED to be there at 8 this morning when they opened, but after the way yesterday went...I just didn't want to get out of bed this morning.

At least now, if another tire on their truck lets go, there will be someone at the Mack dealer to come out and help...I'm all outta spare tires on their truck :tease:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Pretty common occurance on the GM truck lug wrenches there. Think I've seen close to a dozen in the past couple years.

Throwout bearing, and clutch brake comming apart? If a buddies CH hadn't done that to him, I'd never had my A-40 cause it was in the dealership getting prepped for sale when he came along.

Maybe this bit of "misfortune" can go in your favor?

I never understood the reasoning for mounting a wrecker bed so far back on the frame. Dangerous operation in my opinion. I like steer axle weight. I would think a Mack dealer would have enough pride in their operating fleet to at least not have broken emblems on the hood, and a twisted chrome bumper for everyone to judge their appearance by yet have the corporate "Mack" decal emblazoned on the doors. A sharp and tidy looking outfit goes far with the public as they remember when needing road service.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Pretty common occurance on the GM truck lug wrenches there. Think I've seen close to a dozen in the past couple years.

Throwout bearing, and clutch brake comming apart? If a buddies CH hadn't done that to him, I'd never had my A-40 cause it was in the dealership getting prepped for sale when he came along.

Maybe this bit of "misfortune" can go in your favor?

I never understood the reasoning for mounting a wrecker bed so far back on the frame. Dangerous operation in my opinion. I like steer axle weight. I would think a Mack dealer would have enough pride in their operating fleet to at least not have broken emblems on the hood, and a twisted chrome bumper for everyone to judge their appearance by yet have the corporate "Mack" decal emblazoned on the doors. A sharp and tidy looking outfit goes far with the public as they remember when needing road service.

Rob

Funny thing is, these guys do more with this old, reliable wrecker than the guys at O'Hare Towing ("wrecked" on TV) do with their fancy 60-ton rotator. I'll take an old, reliable rig in competent hands over the newest, flashiest rig around lacking a competent operator. The guy driving the wrecker was new to towing, though...been a mechanic for a few years at Mack, but only got his CDL a few months ago. He was still learning...did everything right (besides not having all of the tools he'd need...borrowed a large pair of channel locks to disconnect the drive line at the slip joint) but he knew I'd have 'em when he recognized the name of the guy he was coming to get so I guess I'll give him a pass on that one :lol: ), and he was open to any advice I offered him (I used to drive wreckers myself) as far as hooking up. He knew how to hook to the truck...but running the air was what he had the questions about. What we did, we ran the blue line from his truck to my trailer, and the red line from his truck to a quick connect on my air tank so that my truck could supply the air to keep the truck & trailer's brakes released and suspensions aired up. Of course, they use lincoln-type air fittings in that shop...which I found out when I helped work on my truck there a few months ago...so I had a lincoln-type male quick connect fitted to a female universal to match the I/M that I use on my own tools, air lines, and truck. I also have a valve fitted with two male I/M fittings so that I can air up my truck tank from any supply line on a service truck or at a shop. Made hooking to my air tank quick and painless for sure.

He did good, though...didn't even hit a curb as he made his way back to the shop :twothumbsup:

When backing in to drop the trailer, he took his time to figure out how to back up the combination...careful the whole time not to tear anything up. He'll be a good operator as long as he keeps learning and never takes anything for granted...I've seen guys get lazy and start skipping stuff that they really SHOULD be doing....like chaining the front axle to the forks! :blush:

...almost forgot...

since the passenger door only opened half way before the mirror bracket would hit the air cleaner, and because there was no heat shield on the exhaust, I also burned the heck out of my arm while climbing into the wrecker. Didn't look that bad yesterday, so I didn't think enough about it to snap a pic....but today :o

l_aef78cef8400440789dc0e84b0766864.jpg

I feel for rowdy wasn't long ago that I replaced my clutch too. While I was at it I also had the rear main seal replaced, the flywheel resurfaced, new pilot and throw out bearings installed ,as well as the clutch dog and the clutch cable replaced. The bushing where the pin for the cable attaches on the clutch dog was completely wore out and the spring broke when they took it off so I had them replace it all. I would have them check the cluth dog arm and spring. The cable looked fine but years ago while I was helping a buddy put a clutch in a very old "R" model and while adjusting it the cable let go so I had it replaced simply as a precaution. Good luck.

matt

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS