Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Steering'.
Gentleman, I am wrapping up a front axle rebuild on my 53 L Model . I was wondering if anyone had or knew the torque spec for the front spindle bearing nut OR an accepted procedure for tightening them. Typically I used to torque them to 200 ft lbs then back off 1 full turn and torque to 50lbs (all while rotating the wheel). Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated!
Well, While I'm waitin' to get all the parts identified and located for the front end rebuild, I'm still tryin' to get in my daily allotment of "tinkering"! The steering gear was WAY out of center on my R600. The steering arm was mis-indexed on the steering box. And, the front end had a wicked bounce in it at highway speeds. So, I knocked the drag link loose, and re-mounted the steering arm onto the steering gear output shaft, with the timing marks aligned. Somebody had used a 5/8" pinch bolt on it. I replaced that with a new 3/4" grade 8 bolt and nut. With the wheels pointed more-or-less straight ahead, and the steering box more-or-less centered (about 3-1/4 turns from either stop to center), the drag ling stud would not re-engage. So, I screwed the adjustable ball (looks like a big tie rod end) in as far as I could get it. Could have used 1-2 more turns on that, as the steering wheel/gear is still a fraction of a turn off-center. But, at least it's a lot closer than it was before! I now have full steering to either side. And, the relief poppets in the steering box are kicking in about right...just before the wheel stops make contact. The steering is quite a bit tighter in the straight-ahead mode than it was before. So, maybe there is something to the vicious runor that the steering boxes were made with tighter lash in the center than at the extremes. I also removed both front rims from the spoke wheels, cleaned the mating surfaces, and re-mounted them. I paid attention to the side wobble of the tires, tightening them in a sequence so as to minimize the side wobble, and torqued them to something in the vicinity of the Mack spec. The right front is now almost dead true, and the left front has very little wobble to it. The difference this made in the ride and the controllability of the old truck was unreal! It will now run out to it's top speed (somewhere between 60 & 65 MPH) without the front end bouncing all over the road. The rears still have a bit of hoochy-coo in them, but the front is 10 times better than it was. I know the kingpins and bushings are shot. And, with the bent tie rod/tie rod end, the toe HAS to be out a little. But, this gave me a glimmer of hope that the world can, indeed, be a better place! Not bad for a few minutes wrenching. Now, when I can work on the rest of the front end, it should start to behave like a good puppy! Kent