French Mack B 61 Built In France

Hello everybody,

Here is some pictures of Mack B 61 built in France. You have an standard cab with the brown and sleeping cab with the red one. I have an question, in France all the b61 have 5 gear with pneumatic relay do you have the same gearbox in US?

post-3765-1248434010_thumb.jpgpost-3765-1248434026_thumb.jpgpost-3765-1248434039_thumb.jpgpost-3765-1248434055_thumb.jpg

The red truck is a bit strange. Looks sort of like a White cab and doors, but the sleeper is different.

The transmission you mention was readily available in the states. In a gas engine truck it was called a "Monoshift", and a diesel engine truck it was called "Unishift". This is at least what I've seen. It served the same purpose as two shifters but only used the shifting handle to change gears in the main transmission. The auxilary section was shifted by an air cylinder that was controlled by the "flipper" valve, and clutch pedal linkage.

As things got a little wear on them they became increasingly difficult to keep in proper adjustment but all in all, a great setup.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks for those pictures! Do you drive that Magnum in your avatar?

Rob,

The Mack's that were assembled in Europe were sometimes built with a locally made cab. Back then the US B cab was considered too small for European operators! So French and Dutch built Mack's came with locally built cabs to better suit the local needs of owners and drivers.

Its a damn shame Mack did not push into Europe harder, things would be different and allot more interesting today.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Rob,

The Mack's that were assembled in Europe were sometimes built with a locally made cab. Back then the US B cab was considered too small for European operators! So French and Dutch built Mack's came with locally built cabs to better suit the local needs of owners and drivers.

Its a damn shame Mack did not push into Europe harder, things would be different and allot more interesting today.

I agree with you Rob.

Thadeus, no I don't drive this one because its an spanish truck but I have an friend who have an AE 560 and the music of the E9 is like Mozart for me, an V8 is, for me, the best noise in my ear :lol: and I'm waiting than he sold this truck to me, but in only two years :wacko:

The gearbox is an Mack TR 72.250 with 5 speed + pneumatic relay

Best regards

Erwan

Hi Erwan, yes that is a "UniShift" transmission with diesel power. The TR72 states that it is the larger five speed main, the 25 denotes the air shift compound, with the final 0 denoting an overdrive top gear.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yeah, then the shoe would be on the other foot, and Mack could have taken over V*lv* and slowly made them disappear.

Heh heh.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

• 1 month later...

yeah- there's nothing like the sound of a V8 Mack!

you are right about "that sound" I especially enjoyed rolling my window down as I go up over Fancy Gap just to listen to those puppys growling as they blew that nasty 500 detroit in my cornbinder right off of the road. I miss my Macks, I think that my Cruiseliner with E6 350 2 valve would pass that pathetic excuse of boat anchor material known as 500 horse 12.7 litre detroit, maybe my F700 with a 237 /5 speed would have been fairer competition for that detroit.

Rob,

As far as Mack pushing into Europe, I often wondered about that myself. Who knows, there might not have been an IVECO Truck company gobbling up some of the smaller companies. Maybe MACK would have had them on the ropes? :SMOKIE-RT: