Got the B-30 to Run Today

Greetings folks! Been a while since I posted on my B-30 ... last July actually (http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/36299-bringing-the-b-30-home/).

Previous owner suggested that replacing a broken bendix spring and putting some decent fuel in it should start right up. Pulled the starter off the B-30 yesterday and found that one bolt had come out of the bendix spring (it had not been fully locked). My neighbour had a bolt in his bag of goodies that worked.

I had asked the previous owner whether the truck had a six or twelve volt system. He told me that he used six volt batteries. So, I hooked the ignitiion system up to six volt but that did not give the starter much umph, which was no surprise. I hooked my RAM diesel up to the starter then it spun like it could start.

Alas, after much fooling, no spark. My neighbour, who was the one that actually kept wanting to know when he could hear the Mack run, kept coming back to the resister on the coil lead. "Why a resistor on a six volt system?" The answer finally came to both of us at the same time .... sure, the previous owner used six volt batteries .... in series! Duh! Cleaning some crud off the generator soon confirmed it - 12 volts plain as day.

Now the coil resistor was faulty anyhow. So I dug out a brand new 12 volt coil with internal resistance and installed it. Poured a little gas in the carb. Hit the starter and she started up immediately. Sounds nice but only until the gas in the carb is burned up.

Took the fuel line off of the carb and rolled the engine - it shot a solid stream of gas all the way across the engine compartment. I am thinking I have a carb float problem. Next task - take the carb apart to see what is going on in there. BTW, I am using a snowblower gas tank connected to the fuel pump with a short piece of tube.

Anyhow, started the engine about two dozen times by the last half dozen, or so, no smoke from the exhaust and I could see 50 psi oil pressure on the gauge. Life is good some days.

• Like 2

Best regards, Dennis

I got the B30-P to start and run on its own without pouring some gas in the carb. Takes a lot of choke even when warmed up. OIl pressure gauge says about 50 psi, ammeter says generator works and temperature gauge got up to 130 F.

I cannot seem to figure out how to post the video I made except to give a link. Brace yourself, there is not a lot of finesse. The wind was blowing strong, there is a fair bit of engine reving to keep it running, the truck has no brakes and the clutch linkage sticks just as the clutch starts to engage. I have to pull the clutch pedal on out wiith my toe effectively resulting in popping the clutch.

https://youtu.be/gNjDe5DivIs

Best regards, Dennis

nothing like bringing one back to life

Right you are! The sense of satisfaction was, and remains, huge. The key to whether she went to the scrap yard, got parted out or headed for restoration was in what happened when I tried to get the motor to run. I am very happy to report that she's headed for restoration!

• Like 1

Best regards, Dennis