High beam issue on R mdl

When I turn my high beams on they work Ok for a while then they shut off - Leaving me in the Dark!! I have tried to time them and it varies from 30 seconds on 5 seconds off to 4 minutes on and 10seconds off. They also shut off and on while traveling on smooth roads and while sitting still.

My initial guess was a relay that was getting hot and shutting itself off. Is there a high beam relay?? If so, where is it??

Any other ideas on where to start looking??

Now that the days are getting longer it isn't that big of deal. But, I do want to use the brights to avoid the deer, if I have to drive at night.

I'm gonna move this to the Electrical and Lighting section

Edited by Brandt

Sounds like an excessive load on the high beam circuit in your R-dog. Check for a short in the high beam circuit (floor dimmer switch, dash High beam flash switch, wiring or connections corroded etc.....)

since this is in a dump truck I will say pull dimmer switch from floor and look for nastys, you can unplug the sw. and make a jumper wire outta 2 spade connectors and 2 inches of wire. install jumper and you can swap between hi n lo to see if this fixes it, also check the wires in the dash switches look for discolored blades on the connectors if you find discolored parts replace! its cheaper to fix than after a dash fire!