Mack Savage Mixer

Mack Trucks purchased Savage Manufacturing Corporation in 1989, making it a Mack subsidiary, Mack Trucks of Utah (for tax reasons). The resulting Mack FDM-700 model (Front Discharge MIxer) was available in both mid-engined (behind the cab) and rear-engined versions (replacing the camshaft on a mid-engined model was a hassle).

Faced with a variety of market challenges, the FDM did not become popular.

Shifting gears in 1998, Mack decided to cooperate with Oshkosh and offer a Mack-powered version of the Oshkosh S Series front-discharge mixer (with a McNeilus drum - Oshkosh owns McNeilus). Oshkosh would assemble the trucks utilizing Mack powertrains.

The new Oshkosh S-Series based Mack-badged truck was called the FCM (Front-discharge-Concrete- Mixer).

As a result of the Mack-Oshkosh agreement, Mack discontinued production of the FDM in Utah and closed that plant, with production ending in September 1998.

The Mack/Oshkosh tie-up ended when Volvo acquired Mack Trucks.

• Like 2

I have not been in favor of a front discharge mixer, for many reasons. We have lost a few loads, not whole jobs, because we didn't have a "Front". All wheel drive, front discharge, and a Mack, can't really go wrong. It will be great addition. Actually, I'm pretty excited to drive it back.

• Like 1

What year it is Brad? We had 3 about 15 years ago. They were tandem on front with the same ugly rubber block suspension that they put on the back. One was manual the 2 others had I think eaton automatic with E7-300. The Fabco front axle isn't cheap to fix. We now only run Oshkosh. PM me if you want to know why...

Too interesting unit to work on my mind.

I'm not in a concrete business but used to provide some construction.

Don't know how they are really easy to deal with and about parts but shure they can do some special works.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Another Mack back to work,looks like a twin steer Mack on the other side of that one. I have heard the pros and con's but seems to me the lower center of gravity on the mid engine would make it handle better.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...