Upgrading trucks

Glensts

I'm running some 97's and a 95 mack, all ch 613 models.

Wanting to upgrade but from what I see the EGR systems really played havoc on some of the new models.

I was told that once you got into a 2009 and up things worked pretty good.

We need to run the 46000 diffs so I don't find a lot of good used trucks around here that are lower mileage and in good shape.

The CX seems to be what i'm looking for but what is everyone seeing with these engines in these years?

I hate to have a lot of trouble and sure can't afford to run the truck into the city, which is 3 hours away, for every little flashing light.

Once we start harvest our trucks get used everyday and then they sit for quite a while.

We only average 300 hours or so per truck per year but this will increase. I used to do a lot of custom trucking years ago but I don't anymore.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

Glen

Saskatchewan Canada

I'd rebuild the old ones and look for a pre emissions truck with a ton of miles for cheap and refurb it for a "new" truck.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I would assume that the cost of a new unit vs. the cost of a refurbished truck are significantly different and given the 300 hours/year of use it would be best to leave as much cash in the bank and run reliable but older units. Is this accurate guys? I hope this is not a reflection on the quality of the new trucks Mack is putting out. Is it?

Thanks

Greg

I hope this is not a reflection on the quality of the new trucks Mack is putting out. Is it?

Thanks

Greg

Kind of sounding like I should find a 2003 or under and make it work. It might be the best solution. But in 10 years I will have really old trucks.

Or a better solution is available

Edited by Glensts

For the amount of running you describe, find some more CH's of the same vintage you already have and refurbish them. You cant beat the E7 engines. Stay away from anything between 2003-07(ASET Engines) I have brand new and older Macks. The 80's and 90's Macks seem to do the best. Unless you are putting on ALOT of km's, the older ones will have a lot less downtime and a smaller upfront investment. Age of the trucks will become less important the more you see how their reliability puts money back in your pocket. My 2013's have had some downtime that I will never recoup. I was happy that I could pull my driver from the 2013 for warranty injector cup repairs and throw him into a '99 without an issue.

I wouldn't be scared of ASET engines, they are just CCRS ETECH's with a different turbo and software really, they are really reliable after they are upgraded to the newer versions of software and the newer turbo, the 98-2000 pre CCRS ETECH is probably the best most reliable engine Mack has ever built in my mind, they just run forever and can be rebuilt very easily. I did some math last year on purchasing an older CHN with an ETECH and rebuilding the engine, trans, and rears(Mack or Eaton parts done with warranty) and repainting the truck and redoing the interior and I came up with a cost of around $75,000, it sounds high for a 2000-2002 CHN but its a new truck withhard part warranty when your done and versus the new CHU cost of $165,000 and the constant emissions, injector cup and electronic issues, it made pretty good sense to me.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Kind of sounding like I should find a 2003 or under and make it work. It might be the best solution. But in 10 years I will have really old trucks.

Or a better solution is available

no in 10 years you will have old Macks still doing their job,unlike the other brands 1/4 their age. I run a '88 Superliner every day,put 1090 miles on it just yesterday. I have a '07 Rawhide my son drives every day. So far this year I've spent more on repairs for the '07 than I paid for the '88.

• Like 2

no in 10 years you will have old Macks still doing their job,unlike the other brands 1/4 their age. I run a '88 Superliner every day,put 1090 miles on it just yesterday. I have a '07 Rawhide my son drives every day. So far this year I've spent more on repairs for the '07 than I paid for the '88.

Damn Skippy, I ran my 84 Superliner everyday hauling containers, dump trailers and lowboys, no light weight b.s., my 04 Granite hauling 74,000 loaded running less miles had more done to it per year also.

I'd spend some money on your old ones or find some older pre emission ones and rebuild them. Kinda funny I had coffee with a friend about a month ago who has been trucking for 40 something years and he was shopping for a spare truck and he said that when he started trucking as things progressed you were always trying to get into a newer truck now with all the BS we have to deal with today we're all trying to get back into an older truck. How true he is!

• Like 1