1000 Scania V8

mack mhe9

Sweet. Thanks. Scania's kicking but in the V8 market. 730HP I don't think eaton makes a clutch for that and then they run it through a single axle. Can't do that in the States.

Scania specs Sachs clutches.

Eaton does offer a global-style diaphragm clutch however its limited to 2500 N.m (1844 ft-lb) for engines under 500 horsepower (see attachment).

DC16 520hp 2700 N.m (1991 ft-lb)

DC16 580hp 2950 N.m (2176 ft-lb)

DC16 730hp 3500 N.m (2581 ft-lb)

Eaton 430mm Solo Clutch.pdf

With Mack Trucks now in the past, Scania is without doubt the finest truckmaker in the world today.

I encourage everyone when in Europe to take a tour of their headquarters, main plants and spectacular museum in Sodertalje, Sweden. You'll truly come away understanding just how advanced Scania is.

Scania and Mack Trucks were parallel in thinking. Today, Scania continues the tradition of design excellence.

Why in the hell didn't Scania buy Mack?

Scania is the most profitable truckmaker in the world. With that in mind, Scania felt the US market was overly saturated with brands (The same reason French supermarket group Carrefour, a global titan, doesn't enter the US market). Thus, Scania decided it would be more profitable to focus on other global markets (e.g. South America) than to slug it out in North America and only see low margins.

One of my guys who is from Spain, told me that Scania is by far the best truck in Euro if not the world! I didn't believe him but when you talk to some of the guys that came from Europe they all tell me the same thing esp when it comes to heavy haulin. The guy who works for me used to haul bathroom tile and roof tiles, not light stuff! There was a dealer in Lyndhurst NJ Franks GMC years ago but they just never caught on for some reason?

BULLHUSK

This guy in Newark NJ specializes in Scania and is importing parts for the Portugese (spelling) dump truckers and is also bringing in 141 and 146 Scania trucks and the big V8 engines.

Cheers, Rob

RFCDrum... who is this importer, is there a website???

the 141 is now a collectible, hard to find without cab worm..!!! a great truck in its time...but now 35 plus years old and more akin to the Volvo F89 era...

however, I wouldn't mind owning one..!!!! I worked on 110, 111 and 140 back in the 70's and the cab was more roomy than the Volvo until the F10 arrived... then the game changed..

if you've never heard a Scania V8 growl I suggest you hit youtube, a great sound under load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekrIfw9Da6A

BC Mack

This is a superb video as well showing Scania V8s in in action hauling in Alstom components for a new power plant. All V-8 powered, I see a 3-series 8x4 twin-steer, and 4-series 6x4 and 8x4 pusher..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRfn9xxZJiU

They list a 14.2L 500hp 3 series (3rd generation 1987-1997) model 143, and a 15.6L* 580hp 4 series (4th generation 1996-present**) model 164.

*The current Scania V8 is 16.4 liters.

**The 4 series was introduced in October 1995 as a 1996 model, and then upgraded in 2004 (then informally called the new 5 series) and 2012 (formally called the new R series).

Volvo couldn't wait to kill the E9, because of its heritage to Swedish rival Scania. That rivalry is intense. Try as they might, Volvo just can't equal Scania in terms of profitability, innovation and design excellence.

RFCDrum... who is this importer, is there a website???

the 141 is now a collectible, hard to find without cab worm..!!! a great truck in its time...but now 35 plus years old and more akin to the Volvo F89 era...

however, I wouldn't mind owning one..!!!! I worked on 110, 111 and 140 back in the 70's and the cab was more roomy than the Volvo until the F10 arrived... then the game changed..

if you've never heard a Scania V8 growl I suggest you hit youtube, a great sound under load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekrIfw9Da6A

BC Mack

I will find his business name. He always goes to Englishtown every year with a bunch of Scanias. He had 164 there and he had a white R series cabover there 6x2. I know he does all of the conversions of the old 113's that were here in the US and making them into dump trucks.

Here BC this is what I came up with.

Telmo Truck Parts/ Abreu Truck Repair

Newark NJ

(973) 824-1415.

Also I think he is TRMA Waste Hauling.

He's got a 143 lowboy tractor and a hot T Series race truck. The R Series was pretty new. Somebody has a pic somewhere of that I'm sure. Did you try up by you? There is a owner operator from Ontario I believe that is running two R Series? or slightly older cabovers. I saw him on the NJ Turnpike one day flying past me.

Cheers, Rob

While the Mack V-8 in American evolved from the 864 to the 865/866 and E9, it's sister engines at Scania co-developed with Mack Trucks were becoming legends in Europe.

These videos will give many, for the first time, an idea of how popular the Mack/Scania V-8 has been in Europe right up to the present day.

Note the Scania T-Series conventional cab range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KQ4i-YufMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r11HldiatPQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzgfbwL9_cQ

The limited edition Scania "Longline" extended cab R-Series, particularly with V-8 power, is an impressive unit indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGHPlHOVdWg

Here BC this is what I came up with.

Telmo Truck Parts/ Abreu Truck Repair

Newark NJ

(973) 824-1415.

Also I think he is TRMA Waste Hauling.

He's got a 143 lowboy tractor and a hot T Series race truck. The R Series was pretty new. Somebody has a pic somewhere of that I'm sure. Did you try up by you? There is a owner operator from Ontario I believe that is running two R Series? or slightly older cabovers. I saw him on the NJ Turnpike one day flying past me.

Cheers, Rob

thanks for the information, I had heard about 143's so that must be him, will get in touch with them for a chat.... yes, there are Scania's in the Toronto area owned by legacy transport of woodstock ontario... IIRC the have 142 and 143 tractors, may talk to DOT and RIV about importing an age compiant vehicle as I can register them as a 'collector car' here in BC .

I was trolling the internet a couple of years ago looking for a 3 axle tractor, either an F89 or 141 but the prices are getting too stupid with barn find relics from Greece and Spain hitting the tens of thousands if they still have a tin worm free cab... I do enjoy my MH613 E9 and if I could acquire both of the EU trucks I would be a very happy man... but very broke. :whistling:

BC Mack

This is a superb video as well showing Scania V8s in in action hauling in Alstom components for a new power plant. All V-8 powered, I see a 3-series 8x4 twin-steer, and 4-series 6x4 and 8x4 pusher..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRfn9xxZJiU

They list a 14.2L 500hp 3 series (3rd generation 1987-1997) model 143, and a 15.6L* 580hp 4 series (4th generation 1996-present**) model 164.

*The current Scania V8 is 16.4 liters.

**The 4 series was introduced in October 1995 as a 1996 model, and then upgraded in 2004 (then informally called the new 5 series) and 2012 (formally called the new R series).

Volvo couldn't wait to kill the E9, because of its heritage to Swedish rival Scania. That rivalry is intense. Try as they might, Volvo just can't equal Scania in terms of profitability, innovation and design excellence.

I have to agree with your opinion of Scania vs Volvo.... today, Scania is the 'king of the road', well run, great support, excellent product....

should they come to North America in force? well, for their sakes I hope not.... wrong market for their product line, too many trucks to build and sell at too low a margin to gain that 'market share'.... it would dilute the excellent reputation they have taken many years to build... from the days of Vabis they have always had a reputation for quality and reliability... when the first 141's had serious engine failures and buyers were rethinking the brand, Scania supported their product and evolved the engine into what we see today.

after watching the videos you posted I had to sit down and take a few pills.... certainly brings back memories....

it is also interesting to note how different we are at operating trucks in N.A... you think you are getting raped with diesel prices here then try EU prices... the aerodynamic cabover with close coupled trailers, lift axles, drawbar units and skirts everywhere shows their concern to maximise the profit margin through efficiency, not pounding the turnpike for $$$ per mile.

high horsepower V8 and speed limiters.... some might say that this combination is a conflict, the more I read and understand the philosophy of same speed up and down hills with timed deliveries... it makes sense.... freedom... not so anymore.... the guys that own the load now have you under full control with drops timed to a 10-15 minute window, it's more like air traffic control than the independant owner operator of the US..... or is it?????

BC Mack

• Like 1

When I worked for Atlas Van Lines,we once had a Scania "loaner" truck while one of the Whites was in the shop,i drove it a few times,but much like Volvo,the European symbols are hard to read/understand,and it had some sort of goofy 7 speed direct trans that would NOT come out of gear till a "shift indicator" light came on! very hard to shift,never got a good "feel" for it. I don't remember what model it was,but it was a single axle,integral sleeper like this one,it did have good power,pickup not a V-8 but a turbo in-line 6 IIRC..........................Mark

post-5836-0-50761400-1372601705.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.