Who got the contract to build Mack chassis

If I had to guess I would say frito bandito ville :thumbsdown:

Aye yii yii yii, I am the Frito bandito! Give me Frito's cornchips and I'll be your friend, the Frito Bandito you must not offend.

Remember those commercials like they were yesterday.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

thats nice real nice

I believe LLP was a Mexican owned entity already. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if this was found to be orchestrated several years ago having to honor an original contract for union workers.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Westport. The plant is about 5 minutes from Macungie.

That makes sense, because of some of the custom work Sherbrick is doing, it makes it easier to coordinate efforts, should give him even more flexibility, by the way, give Vic my regards. (tell him his first factory lift axle customer said that)

Dave

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

• 1 month later...

August 21, 2012 | The Morning Call

Christian Jones supervises a heavy-duty truck chassis assembly line at a new plant in Upper Macungie, where Westport Axle makes parts used to build Mack Trucks.

The Kentucky company opened the plant on Boulder Drive in June and currently employs about 250 people. It expects to grow to 500 people in coming months.

The Westport plant is located at Allentown's Bridgeworks Enterprise Center, in the former Mack Trucks Plant 4* in south Allentown.

(* Mack Plant 4, built in 1926 to assemble truck chassis and paint truck bodies, was closed in 1984)

Average production-line wages at Westport Axle in Upper Macungie will be between $15 and $16 an hour and workers will receive benefits, said Allen Fink, the company's director of operations.

The Valley's gain represents a loss for Lancaster County, though. Westport Axle is doing work for Mack Trucks that was previously done by Lancaster Preferred Partnership, which will close its Lancaster plant next month, putting over 200 people out of work.

Many of those workers are now carpooling here from Lancaster County. That will reduce the plant's economic benefit to the Lehigh Valley as some workers take their paychecks out of the area.

"A bunch of us from down there got hired up here," said Lancaster resident Garth Bates, 41, who worked for three years at the Lancaster plant . "I have plans to move up here eventually — if all goes well."

At the plant Tuesday, Mack truck chassis crawled along an assembly line while workers used air wrenches to tighten bolts. The chassis are taken to a Mack Trucks assembly plant nearby in Lower Macungie Township.

Westport Axle has a similar plant in Virginia that makes truck chassis for Volvo AB, the corporate parent of Mack Trucks.

Well I did a brief search. Everything points to Brazil. So at least its not a Chinese co.-yet-that will steal our technology and then price us out of business.

I think Eaton rears are built there now, they were back in 1999 and all the ones that I had broke the housings, so I switched over to Meritor, problem solved

Business First / April 29, 2002

Westport Axle Modules, Components and Logistics Inc. started in 1986 as Westport Axle Inc., selling pre-manufactured front axles to Ford's Louisville truck plant.

Westport Axle is a subsidiary of Brazilian manufacturer MTP (Metallurgical Tubes Precision) SA, under holding company Brazil Group (Grupo Brasil).

Westport Axle's manufacturing and distribution facility on Westport Road is 5 minutes from Ford’s truck plant. At Westport’s facility, brake components are added to front and rear axles manufactured in Brazil by SIFCO, another subsidiary of Grupo Brasil. The axle and brake assemblies then are trucked on a just-in-time basis to Ford.

In addition to Ford, Westport Axle distributes Brazilian-built axle assemblies to Dana, Arvin-Meritor, McNeilus, Oshkosh, Monaco Coach Corp. and Workhorse Custom Chassis.

Westport Axle added 20,000 square feet to its leased facility, which is now 110,000 square feet, to accommodate a new axle contract for Ford Econoline vans.

Westport Axle also sells bumpers and grilles to Ford and is bidding on contracts for mirrors, shock absorbers and wheels.

Another sizable contract could come by way of Mack Trucks. Westport Axle is in negotiations with Mack for a contract that would provide 250 front and rear axles per day.