F models unite

There was a big prob with the F model it rusted out and wore out [ one truff truck] because of this parts are a hard find and hole trucks are even harder to find so at the truck shows not many there. so those of us that have them are very proud of them and ritefuly so i think we should band togeather to save one of macks best trucks ! sorry guys got up on my soap box there.

I do have a request though alot of you have sean my truck and that is appernt by the missing grass around it at macgungie this year i have the rased roof gold and white F-model test truck that I am going to name " what the hell is that blue thing on the back of the motor" because i think i heard that 1000 times and it never gets old . so any info about my truck any one has i would love to hear i finly have some pics my profile and on this site at the oct 29 and loves shows every one i talk to has an idea about what my truck did in its life but so far no one was there to witness it for shure always love to hear the ideas and guesses some of them are funny and some are out ther but all are welcome thanks guys- charter member of the" mack pack"- Jay Barbe

Jay:

Did that truck belong to a company called Thermo Electron? I remember looking at that truck when it was offered on Ebay and I think that was the story that the owner was providing. I believe I got it right because we do some business with Thermo and that was the reason I remembered the story. Then again, I could be wrong-my memory is not what it used to be. What info did you get from the Mack Museum?

John

yep jhon that is the truck you are correct the museum only could give me a vin search because the truck was used as a test bed by thermo electron co not mack but thay cant give me any info no one there was there in the 80s ran in to a wall on info

according to the build sheet it was sent to dept of energy and shiped to waltham mass and listed under gov't sales then i have alot of mant records from argonne nat labs in IL. with a unit #me 426 throught mid to late 90s in 97 it had a minor acc and the drives name on the report was jeff norton and was reported to pfs rigging hope all this helps thanks jay

Jay:

Was this originally a government truck? Who ordered the truck and when? Is there a customer PO listed on the build sheet? What model and VIN? When was the truck built and when and where was it delivered and to whom? If Thermo was the original owner and they used a Thermo PO to purchase the truck direct from Mack, I may be able to come up with some history for you. I need something to present to some of the old timers in their main purchasing department and I'll download some pics of the truck from your profile. If I remember correctly, the paint color scheme was a Thermo corporate color scheme-correct? Let me know.

John

im sure you know about them but just in case there are 6 or 7 f's in pa on 22 just west of mt union in a small town called mill creek, dont no any history and there in bad shape but neat to look at, i know it doesnt help with your qestion but just saying

Good luck with that one there. I go by there every week and watch those F-models rot away more each year. The owner seems to have every truck he has ever owned and is not willing to sell or part out ANYTHING. Nice guy to talk to, but he would rather see the trucks crumble to dust, he won't even scrap them! The price of metal right now he should clean them out just so I don't have to look at them every trip. Those F's have been sitting so long there is not even any useful parts left to salvage.

Gregg

Good luck with that one there. I go by there every week and watch those F-models rot away more each year. The owner seems to have every truck he has ever owned and is not willing to sell or part out ANYTHING. Nice guy to talk to, but he would rather see the trucks crumble to dust, he won't even scrap them! The price of metal right now he should clean them out just so I don't have to look at them every trip. Those F's have been sitting so long there is not even any useful parts left to salvage.

Gregg

thanks ive been loading out of mt union lately, good info, yea there neat to look at history, just seams ashame

thanks john the model # f 786st and vin is 1m2f157y1bm016067 it was sold and ship to thermo electron corp waltham ma from dealer code s -100 fleet sales on 10/27/1980 has gso# 066714 order # was q100-90254 sigature of branch manager was prohasleu [ or something like that] cant read sig very well wrights like a doctor he signed in 11/8/79 application engineer is b w sarnt [i think] only thing i see obout po# may be fleet price code was zzzz G hopfuly this helps also the unit # at argonne national lab was me-426 thanks again for your help jay