Adding Air Ride/stretching Frame

Freightrain

Ok, here's the official thread to show the progress on my B model.

What I bought:

SDC10613.jpg

After blasting and painting:

SDC10693.jpg

Getting truck ready:

remove diesel genset

SDC10695.jpg

fifth wheel

SDC10698.jpg

removing fenders, etc

SDC10708.jpg

It's to the point of removing the rear axle. Everything is unhooked, just need to get my hands on buddy's BIG jackstands to hold truck up.

The rear hitch set up is fully welded to the rear crossmember/frame rails and since I have to cut about 12" off the back of frame it's not an issue.

SDC10704.jpg

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

001.jpg

LOL!!! Well, I had to wait til my last race in October before I could start on this lil project. I was collecting pieces and getting things inline so hopefully it will changeover quickly.

I'm likely going after the bunk this Saturday. Once that's home I'll confirm minimum length I need and then next week try to get the frame rail slid onto the truck. Then it's just a matter of hooking everything up. I already got the air bags replumbed and ready for air. Still need new shocks.

Also working on maybe finding a brownie box to add instead of carrier bearing in driveshaft. Have one connection, but not sure it will pan out?(at least soon enough). He also has a "fresh" crated 250hp Mack motor!! ENDT673C. That would make me VERY, VERY happy!! Not sure the pocket book will survive that right now?

Larry

Well,today was a milestone(and there ain't no going back)

SDC10732.jpg

got the last 12" whacked off and the suspension is gone

SDC10733.jpg

SDC10731.jpg

This morning I went and picked up my lastest donation to the cause:

SDC10727.jpg

SDC10728.jpg

42" bunk made by Bentz. Pretty nice inside,just needs a cleaning and a mattress. Not sure how close the white is on the outside. Have to figure out the painting part later.

SDC10729.jpg

Got a brownie box picked out and will be getting it Monday. I'll have one of the fastest B's in Ohio. Top speed should be up around 85 mph!! If it's got enough HP to get it there. Should have a good handle on any slow speed races too with something deeper then 26:1 in first!!

Tomorrow I will be cleaning up frame rails and getting some paint on them so I can slip the new rails over. I've got to get the crossmember situation figured out for the brownie before proceeding.

Larry

Sunday was another milestone:

SDC10740.jpg

We got the new piece slid onto the truck. With some figuring we came up with 206" wheelbase.

SDC10743.jpg

I still need to get the spoke hubs for it and get them switched over. This week?

Didn't get the bolts yet, but this week I'll get to drilling/bolting things together for good. Then it's just hooking air back up and some electrical to the back. Hopefully in a few weeks it will be drivable again.

Larry

Ok, more progress over the weekend

All bolted together:

SDC10749.jpg

Brackets made for new air tanks:

SDC10750.jpg

Hanging aux. box for working on building mounts:

SDC10757.jpg

SDC10752.jpg

Got fifthwheel remounted, ready to put dayton hubs on it, got most of the new air lines run but need a handful of fittings to hook stuff up.

SDC10748.jpg

Getting closer and closer......

Larry

• 1 month later...

Been hard at work lately. Got some major steps done on the truck.

Got driveshafts made last week and installed, brownie is fully bolted in, air lines done, electric is all new to the back. Few loose ends to finish, but truck is basically drivable.

Last Friday was it's maiden voyage out of the garage. Had to roll it out(manually) so I could install the axles as my walls are too narrow for me to put them in while in the garage.

SDC10771.jpg

Sunday I was able to jump start the bobcat and get the bunk set up on the frame. My pickup didn't have enough "umph", so I had to get the Mack out and use it instead.

SDC10773.jpg

Now that the bunk is on, I started to dismantle the boot and got the rear window out of the truck. Once I get all the boot stuff out of the way I'll slide the bunk up and see what it's going to take to mate them up. I know I'm going to lower the opening in the bunk and likely curve it to match the top of back window in truck. Then go down from there, likely about 1/2 way down back wall(to where the ribs are on the outside). Time will tell, just going along and adjusting as need be.

The white on the truck(kinda appliance white) is close to the eggshell white of the bunk, but not quite. Likely leave it alone for now and worry about it once it gets warm out. Picture doesn't do it justice.

Larry

hoy Larry.

you are doing a great job on jour b.

it`s going to be a beautiful truck.

i like the beacon on the roof.

i`m looking for one to put on my towtruck,but they don`t have them here in europe.

maybe if you know someone who has a spare and wants to sell i`m willing to buy it.

hope to see photo`s of the finisht truck soon.

Leon (mack4ever)

Been hard at work lately. Got some major steps done on the truck.

Got driveshafts made last week and installed, brownie is fully bolted in, air lines done, electric is all new to the back. Few loose ends to finish, but truck is basically drivable.

Last Friday was it's maiden voyage out of the garage. Had to roll it out(manually) so I could install the axles as my walls are too narrow for me to put them in while in the garage.

SDC10771.jpg

Sunday I was able to jump start the bobcat and get the bunk set up on the frame. My pickup didn't have enough "umph", so I had to get the Mack out and use it instead.

SDC10773.jpg

Now that the bunk is on, I started to dismantle the boot and got the rear window out of the truck. Once I get all the boot stuff out of the way I'll slide the bunk up and see what it's going to take to mate them up. I know I'm going to lower the opening in the bunk and likely curve it to match the top of back window in truck. Then go down from there, likely about 1/2 way down back wall(to where the ribs are on the outside). Time will tell, just going along and adjusting as need be.

The white on the truck(kinda appliance white) is close to the eggshell white of the bunk, but not quite. Likely leave it alone for now and worry about it once it gets warm out. Picture doesn't do it justice.

Looking good, a lot of work there.

Grant

Leon, check around on Ebay for old school amber beacon. Truck had one since I bought it, though I'd love to find an old round top style as I think it would look more appropriate.

Here's one for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMMERICAL-AMBER-12-VOLT-ROOF-STROBE-BEACON-/380302041599?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588bc4a1ff

I'm slowing getting the bunk ready to mount. Need to do some metal fab work to mounts and then get them bolted to frame. I have the rear window out of the truck and will start to figure out what I'm going to cut out. Won't go quickly, but should be nice when done.

I spent today getting oil filter housing off motor. Thinking of switching to spin on filters?

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a slow fight with getting the bunk mounted.

The original mounts were twice as tall as needed, so took them to work and cut them. Then I need to get them situated on the frame, line up the bunk and work out a bolt pattern. Come to find out the rear mounts go right on top of my front aux mount bolts! Grrr. With some persuasion on the mill I was able to slot the back half of the mount plate(it's double 1/4" plate) so the heads clear. Got them clamped in position and drilled for two bolts. Originally had three 1/2" bolts, only can get two 5/8" bolts in there.

SDC10804.jpg

Don't think it's going to fall off with two bigger bolts. Won't see the abuse of OTR anyhow.

Got the rear panels off the back of cab and will start getting that cut out.

SDC10811.jpg

Won't be going too big, I'm going to follow the tapered supports down to the middle support and then will be closing the opening up on the bunk to match. Hopefully by next week I'll have some updates.

Larry

that will look real nice Larry. I like your idea of following the angel brace of the rear cab wall. it will keep the strength and look just like some of the early "walk in" style sleepers.

How are you goining about hooking up the shower and toilet?????? still planning on the fridge and flat screen cabel TVs??????

Buddy has a nice RV air unit for it, but it won't clear my garage! Dammit!

I was going to open it up more, but once I got the rear panel off and realized it was structured back there I figure to follow them. With the seats in there, anymore opening is a mute point anyway.

Larry

I've been working on this part of the project in my head for a few weeks now(or months actually). I took a deep breathe when I started with the grinder LOL!!! I need to borrow a friends 120v welder so I can get in there to weld on cab(it's a nice gas version-not flux core). My big ol Miller won't reach around the corner and no room on the sides of truck to move welder either.

Ya, the gladhands will be coming off, along with the rear spotlights. With the layout I have, there would still be room to get off even with bunk up to cab. Won't wait that long though.

Larry

I've been working on this part of the project in my head for a few weeks now(or months actually). I took a deep breathe when I started with the grinder LOL!!! I need to borrow a friends 120v welder so I can get in there to weld on cab(it's a nice gas version-not flux core). My big ol Miller won't reach around the corner and no room on the sides of truck to move welder either.

Ya, the gladhands will be coming off, along with the rear spotlights. With the layout I have, there would still be room to get off even with bunk up to cab. Won't wait that long though.

larry,got some good ideas as far as the sealant between cab/sleeper? boot etc. just curious because every truck i ever drove where the cab and sleeper are separate,there were always leaking issues,just a heads up,because after all that work.i'm sure you dont want to take it all back apart!........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Mark, as you see in the bunk picture I have a very nice boot(plus a very nice spare), using those I'm going to make a 2" wide flange around the cab opening that I'l be able to screw the boot to just like originally done. That along with some black putty sealer(whatever they call it, that's all over the bunk), PLUS the fact it will hardly see weather, I don't contemplate any leakage.

Yes, the boots are too long, but I'll cut them short to fit and leave the overlap at the bottom. They are not formed fittted, so once I cut it, it will lay flat and then be bent to fit my opening. At least that's the plan.

Larry