Dumb Sob

Mackmann

I will admit that I had to use 4th gear reverse to get to a spot in a field to get a load off. hard ground, slight incline, slick and wet in the rain. was a semi truck and the added drag from the trailer would stop the truck unless you had some wheel speed to keep it going. Boss was there and approved of the tactics. Sent his Peterbilts home that day and kept all the 6 speeds working. but I dont think I would try that in the sand with the axels bouncing!

The guy should have put it in low, backed up as far as he could, and dumped it off. Hell, if you watch the video, he made it JUST as far backing up in low gear as he did in 6th with the running start. Just a guy being dumb IMHO. I never understand the people who think they have to get a running start at that crap. I see it all the time, though...people hitting the coal piles in the high range until they are lugging the engine and having to grab a gear quickly to keep from stalling out because if they DO stop on the hill, they'd have to back all the way down to start again. I've NEVER had a problem sticking it in 2nd or 3rd gear and holding a steady throttle at 1600-1700 rpm to walk right up the same hill. Even that job I was at a few weeks ago with the soft ground, some people were getting a run at it, and because they were in the higher gear, they had to downshift...and if they couldn't slam it into gear quick enough, they were stuck. I put it in a low gear BEFORE I started in and just walked it in nice and steady.

There's no reason to abuse the equipment. If that were my truck, I'd fire him on the spot, take the keys right there from him, and he could find his own ride back to the yard.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Fellas I thought the guy was about to roll her right off the side of the road. My hat is off to ALL you guys and galls who work those job sites. I get into alot of Junk Yards and the only thing other than the mud that I have to worry about is cutting a tire. Yall be careful.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

• 2 weeks later...
If this guy was my driver this would have been his last day.

I believe that is why bulldozers were invented. A bulldozer operater is a lot cheaper than a broken truck, tow bill, parts, labor, etc... what the hell, it's a :mack1: and could probably have done that all month!

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

I believe that is why bulldozers were invented. A bulldozer operater is a lot cheaper than a broken truck, tow bill, parts, labor, etc... what the hell, it's a :mack1: and could probably have done that all month!

Ha! Good luck finding a decent sympathetic operator! Most around here aren't.

And I've seen a lot worse done. Who hasn't put it in hi range reverse to get where they're goin? It's funny, you'd think an owner/operator would be easy on his equipment, but there are plenty who are worse than hired goons.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Ha! Good luck finding a decent sympathetic operator! Most around here aren't.

And I've seen a lot worse done. Who hasn't put it in hi range reverse to get where they're goin? It's funny, you'd think an owner/operator would be easy on his equipment, but there are plenty who are worse than hired goons.

I've found that I can get further through worse stuff if I keep it in a lower gear and power through it rather than a higher gear and getting a run at it. Higher gears will lug as you lose speed & momentum, and when you lug it too far, you gotta shift...once you pull it out of gear, you stop and are stuck. Again, watch the video again closely. Notice, he didn't make it any farther speeding into the soft ground than what he made on his first attempt backing in slowly....so why tear up equipment unnecessarily?

I'll admit, I do a lot more with my truck than I would if it were anything OTHER than a Mack through and through...but anything mechanical has it's limits. I ain't ever been too skeerd ta try getting where I need ta git with or for a load...but then again I also carry a 20' long piece of 3/8 G70 chain just in case :blush:

Don't need it often, but when I do, it saves time and time is money :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I've found that I can get further through worse stuff if I keep it in a lower gear and power through it rather than a higher gear and getting a run at it. Higher gears will lug as you lose speed & momentum, and when you lug it too far, you gotta shift...once you pull it out of gear, you stop and are stuck.

And not only that, but smooth steady pressure on the driveline in a lower gear won't damage the driveline like trying to downshift when the truck is bogged down in the sh*t.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I never carry a chain B) .

In 3 years I've had to be pulled out once...my brother with a Petercart has had to be...well, I lost count. Also with a 1/4 frame trailer, I can pull myself out if I have to.

Unfortunately, I've got the Mack 18sp with the god-awful slow reverse...sometimes I have to back up quite a ways, so I'll slip it in the high range...which is about the same speed at idle as a regular reverse at full throttle.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to offend everyone, as there are some great operators out there; but I've been laboring for a construction company for a couple of years and I've observed that many construction dump drivers are crazy sob's behind the wheel. They do serve as dramatic foil for the good operators though. I've seen some old timers put a truck in and get out of seemingly impossible places.

I don't want to offend everyone, as there are some great operators out there; but I've been laboring for a construction company for a couple of years and I've observed that many construction dump drivers are crazy sob's behind the wheel. They do serve as dramatic foil for the good operators though. I've seen some old timers put a truck in and get out of seemingly impossible places.

I would guess most of them are probably union (teamsters) with nearly-impossible-to-fire-a-driver contracts, who are driving someone else's truck that they don't have to worry about tearing up. If they bust an axle, drive shaft, transmission, engine, suspension, frame, lay it over, etc., it won't cost them a penny and they'll have another truck to tear up while they wait for the other one to get fixed.

Even the non-union company drivers that I work with are harder on their equipment than I am. Then again, when they break something, it isn't money out of their pocket....or at least they don't see it as such. :rolleyes:

I never carry a chain B) .

In 3 years I've had to be pulled out once...my brother with a Petercart has had to be...well, I lost count. Also with a 1/4 frame trailer, I can pull myself out if I have to.

Unfortunately, I've got the Mack 18sp with the god-awful slow reverse...sometimes I have to back up quite a ways, so I'll slip it in the high range...which is about the same speed at idle as a regular reverse at full throttle.

How does a 1/4 differ from a frameless? I usually pull a frameless and have wormed my way out when I was empty...but if you get stuck on your way in you are SOL unless you can be pulled. Sometimes if you aren't careful, the weight of the trailer will sink that back axle into the ground as you dump so that you can't pull forward....gotta lower the bed to push the truck forward, set the tractor brakes, and let the hydraulics pull the trailer back in towards the truck to get it out of the hole and finish dumping. There was one time, however, I raised the bed up to dump off, and it wouldn't push the truck forward when I went to let it down...I had to get pulled forward out of the holes the drives & steers had sunk into. :wacko:

That particular job wasn't much fun for anyone though....friggin idiots on the bulldozers didn't know how to stay out of your way while you were heading in to where they wanted you to dump....and once you stopped, you were stuck.

I would guess most of them are probably union (teamsters) with nearly-impossible-to-fire-a-driver contracts, who are driving someone else's truck that they don't have to worry about tearing up. If they bust an axle, drive shaft, transmission, engine, suspension, frame, lay it over, etc., it won't cost them a penny and they'll have another truck to tear up while they wait for the other one to get fixed.

In 30+ years of professional driving this retired Teamster never busted an axle or drive shaft or laid one over. Had a couple broken springs and a freak failure of a Roadranger range section due to air problems in -80 wind chills. I considered it a matter of pride to bring the truck home every day in at least as good a condition as I received it. For my troubles I was often berated by supervisors who told me I didn't push the truck hard enough...

In 30+ years of professional driving this retired Teamster never busted an axle or drive shaft or laid one over. Had a couple broken springs and a freak failure of a Roadranger range section due to air problems in -80 wind chills. I considered it a matter of pride to bring the truck home every day in at least as good a condition as I received it. For my troubles I was often berated by supervisors who told me I didn't push the truck hard enough...

My grandpa was a teamster in the Chicago area driving 10-wheeler dumps. He took pride in his ride too...started out driving the older, beat up trucks that nobody else wanted because he hadn't "done his time" to get any seniority....but then he'd take the time to make those old trucks shine and they'd usually end up looking better than some of the other guy's "new" trucks. Not everyone cares about the equipment they drive if they aren't the ones footing the bill. The drivers who DO seem to be few and far between.

My grandpa was a teamster in the Chicago area driving 10-wheeler dumps. He took pride in his ride too...started out driving the older, beat up trucks that nobody else wanted because he hadn't "done his time" to get any seniority....but then he'd take the time to make those old trucks shine and they'd usually end up looking better than some of the other guy's "new" trucks. Not everyone cares about the equipment they drive if they aren't the ones footing the bill. The drivers who DO seem to be few and far between.

As much as I principally oppose unions, I can't let them take the rap this time; these drivers were not union members. The company I worked for was 100% at will and non union. I've gotta give credit where it is due and not where it isn't. The ones that consistently broke equipment and damaged the project, did get fired once the office got word of it.

Sorry to disappoint.

• 2 months later...

I hope that the man who owns the dump was the one making that decision. WTF is an understatement. Lets see ;

1) Complete tailgate

2) Two rear body pockets

3) Two reciever blocks

4) Gate linkage

5) The unseen damage to the inside especially at the hoist doghouse area.

WHY didn't they get a piece of chain and pull that Louisville with the dozer?

"Hey boss I got the truck stuck today"

"Did you get it out?"

"Yep they helped!"

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

How does a 1/4 differ from a frameless? I usually pull a frameless and have wormed my way out when I was empty...but if you get stuck on your way in you are SOL unless you can be pulled. Sometimes if you aren't careful, the weight of the trailer will sink that back axle into the ground as you dump so that you can't pull forward....gotta lower the bed to push the truck forward, set the tractor brakes, and let the hydraulics pull the trailer back in towards the truck to get it out of the hole and finish dumping. There was one time, however, I raised the bed up to dump off, and it wouldn't push the truck forward when I went to let it down...I had to get pulled forward out of the holes the drives & steers had sunk into. :wacko:

That particular job wasn't much fun for anyone though....friggin idiots on the bulldozers didn't know how to stay out of your way while you were heading in to where they wanted you to dump....and once you stopped, you were stuck.

The 1/4 frame keeps both trailer axles on the ground as opposed to only the back axle on your frameless. Also, my 1/4 frame is only 23' long, your frameless I'll assume is 39'. You really have to be jaggin off to tip a short 1/4 frame....with the frameless, you can aim your fart the wrong way and it's gone.

Take a look at this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sgAx1RecAg

It just left me shaking my head saying WTF.

All the wrong methods being used there.

All they had to do was stick the hoe bucket in the load and push while the driver drives the truck out.

It wasn't even stuck that bad.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Fellas I myself have very limited exsperience with dump trucks but even I know that destroying the truck trying to get it unstuck is STUPID. I would have fired the excavator operator and the dump truck driver. It is after all his truck and his resposibility. What idiots.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

Fellas I myself have very limited exsperience with dump trucks but even I know that destroying the truck trying to get it unstuck is STUPID. I would have fired the excavator operator and the dump truck driver. It is after all his truck and his resposibility. What idiots.

I'm thinking it was a company truck and a truck that was 'expendable' at that. Some kids out with a camcorder, dad's equipment on a sunday afternoon. I always tell the guy I'll kick his face in and make him eat his own shit before he pushes like that on any of my equipment. The tow hooks aren't just for decoration.

• 4 weeks later...