Mack Glider Kits?

My friend recently bought a new Western Star glider kit that he put a 3406B mechanical in, because he was so displeased with the performance of his 2006 Star/Cat. I also see Kenworth/Peterbilt are selling lots of gliders. My question is...can you get a new glider kit from Mack to put a pre emissions E7 460 in? Or are there too much electronics in the new Macks to sort everything out (all the accessories and dash/maintenance displays)? I like the new Granites but hate DPF's.

I know that there are some Glider kits at the plant in Macungie, it isn't set up for the MP engines, I know we don't have any of the "new" granite gliders at the plant, though. You may be able to get one, but I'm not sure what kind of compliance issues you'd have trying to put an old engine in it.

There is guy in Florida that advertises on Truck Paper, that still gets them. I talked to him about it the other day, and he said that it is getting harder and harder to them. He can only really get Heavy front end Granites, set up for V-Mac III. He told me that Kenworth will work with you more. I then talked to my Mack guy(also handles KW's), and he is looking into it for me.

There is guy in Florida that advertises on Truck Paper, that still gets them. I talked to him about it the other day, and he said that it is getting harder and harder to them. He can only really get Heavy front end Granites, set up for V-Mac III. He told me that Kenworth will work with you more. I then talked to my Mack guy(also handles KW's), and he is looking into it for me.

Thanks for the info. Let me know if you find out more. I'd like to know if you can get the new style Granite and with what years of E7 engine. Hopefully pre-ASET.

You mention being set up for V-Mac III, any idea how the dash display would work? Would it support the Co-Pilot or just basic odometer functions?

My friends Western Star glider worked out well, only one glitch. He ordered it for the B series mechanical Cat, even gave the engine serial number, but when the chassis arrived it had all electronic gages. He had to convert all the gages over to mechanical ones, which was no problem for him, just extra work. He said he wish he would have know they would do that as he had an early 2000 vintage C15 electronic he could have used. Even it would have been superior to the new ACERT's.

Well, just got the official word by email from Mack (Volvo). The new GU Granite is not available in glider form. It is set up only for VMAC IV and he said no one has tried anything other than that and that it is strongly discouraged by him.

They do however have 4 Granite CV gliders in stock, but they are only compatible for VMAC III. He also said there is no conversion to go from VMAC II to VMAC III.

Guess I'll have to keep doing my research to see if I should fear the DPF as much as I do. Like we've already seen, my dump truck application does not produce enough exhaust heat to automatically regen, so you hear about others having to do parked regens two to three times a day and that's what worries me. It's hard enough to get paid as it is now, imagine when the contractors see you sitting on the side of the road and not hauling. I've read the tests of the Granites with SCR and they say they rarely need to regen, but I'll have to wait and see how much frame space is going to be needed. It would be nice if they did away with the lift axles and we all went back to tandems.

I learned something new , I have not seen a Vmac lV

If you are going to get a new truck soon, you probably want to buy one with the 2007 emission regulations, rather than the 2010 emissions, because when the 2010 are made you are going to need to get "add blue" (urea) in addition to your diesel. The ratio of usage isn't anything close to what you use in diesel, but you will have to start getting the urea stuff with the new 2010 trucks, and that sounds like it will pretty much be industry wide. But I have read positive reviews about the SCR system though, so it shouldn't be too bad. I think that a few of the CV gliders at the plant in Macungie are set up for the vmac II setup, and have mechanical knobs and other older type configureations.