1985 Mh

Underdog

I had a couple chats on the site today that prompted me to post my story here. The story of Underdog's first truck.

You can see pics of my MH in my galleries.

This truck was pretty famous around my town, owned by a local trucker, but it seemed lots of guys had stories about driving it. At the time, that V8 Mack was king of the hill. I got to know the truck and the owner in 1998, when I worked at a concrete block plant where he would deliver sand in a dump and take block out on a flatbed. No mistaking that sound of the E9 climbing the hill into the plant!

As I passed by his shop one day, the MH was parked out front for sale. I couldn't believe it. Nobody in town thought that truck would ever go for sale. I swung in there to talk to the man, and we made a pretty quick deal, but it took me a few weeks to get the money arranged. (This was the first of many tests of faith for Sweet Polly.) I had never owned a truck before, but hell, I was learning fast! The rest they say is history. I must have learned my lessons (albiet some the hard way), here I am 10 years later still going at it. (I thank God each day Sweet Polly has stuck by my side through it all!)

I ran that MH for 2 years, 1 pulling pneumatic dry tank, and 1 pulling end dump, which I still do today. I still try to tell myself I made a wise business decision by trading to my current truck, a 2000 CX Vision. Good truck all around, much better fuel mileage, lots of room in the bunk, but just doesn't stir the emotions the way that Ultraliner V8 did. Oh well, I guess our first love is the one we always remember best...(the truck and Sweet Polly)

I had a couple chats on the site today that prompted me to post my story here. The story of Underdog's first truck.

You can see pics of my MH in my galleries.

This truck was pretty famous around my town, owned by a local trucker, but it seemed lots of guys had stories about driving it. At the time, that V8 Mack was king of the hill. I got to know the truck and the owner in 1998, when I worked at a concrete block plant where he would deliver sand in a dump and take block out on a flatbed. No mistaking that sound of the E9 climbing the hill into the plant!

As I passed by his shop one day, the MH was parked out front for sale. I couldn't believe it. Nobody in town thought that truck would ever go for sale. I swung in there to talk to the man, and we made a pretty quick deal, but it took me a few weeks to get the money arranged. (This was the first of many tests of faith for Sweet Polly.) I had never owned a truck before, but hell, I was learning fast! The rest they say is history. I must have learned my lessons (albiet some the hard way), here I am 10 years later still going at it. (I thank God each day Sweet Polly has stuck by my side through it all!)

I ran that MH for 2 years, 1 pulling pneumatic dry tank, and 1 pulling end dump, which I still do today. I still try to tell myself I made a wise business decision by trading to my current truck, a 2000 CX Vision. Good truck all around, much better fuel mileage, lots of room in the bunk, but just doesn't stir the emotions the way that Ultraliner V8 did. Oh well, I guess our first love is the one we always remember best...(the truck and Sweet Polly)

Well there Underdog, I just about feel like crying after reading your post about "Sweet Polly". First love and all.

I too like the sound of a V8 Mack engine. Also like the inline Thermodynes also. I've never been a "trucker", just been around them a lot. Always preferred Mack because I'm unable to process much else.

The three V8 Mack powered trucks that I have are all the old ENDT series two valve head engines. I'm sure something with four valve heads would leave me wondering what the other pair are doing there, so I'll leave it alone.

First loves? I married mine, (Momma) when I was 17, I'm now 48 so it still seems it was the right thing to do.

The Mack trucks are a hobby cause I have no others.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well there Underdog, I just about feel like crying after reading your post about "Sweet Polly". First love and all.

I too like the sound of a V8 Mack engine. Also like the inline Thermodynes also. I've never been a "trucker", just been around them a lot. Always preferred Mack because I'm unable to process much else.

The three V8 Mack powered trucks that I have are all the old ENDT series two valve head engines. I'm sure something with four valve heads would leave me wondering what the other pair are doing there, so I'll leave it alone.

First loves? I married mine, (Momma) when I was 17, I'm now 48 so it still seems it was the right thing to do.

The Mack trucks are a hobby cause I have no others.

Rob

I consider myself a truly fortunate man. My passion has always been trucks, and to make my living doing what I enjoy is what makes life bearable. And to share the trip with a life partner is icing on the cake, perhaps most appreciated as we get older. I know I would not be where I am today without "Polly"(aka Andrea) to keep me on the straight road. She knows it too, because I tell her all the time.

I always enjoyed the sound of the V8's, but you are right. That END673 in my F sings a pretty sweet song, too. Just got my title and antique plates from PENNDOT in this morning's mail so that one is legal now. Maybe we'll go for a ride to celebrate since work is kinda slow and I'm still at home.

THAT SURE WAS ONE FINE LOOKING MH I HAVE A 91 WITH A 500+ IN IT AND IT IS A GOOD TRUCK . DO YOU KNOW WERE YOURS ENDED UP

I am sorry to say, but the salesman informed me that my truck and one other MH were delivered to Port Newark, NJ and loaded on a ship to Africa, final destination- Congo. I cannot verify this 100%, so if anyone ever finds MH613 serial #6944 please drop me a note. :pat: