The Wmsi Wrecker Project!

We have been in the process of building a new wrecker! We started with a rolled over CH and an Ford wrecker with a nice hydraulic boom with under wheel lift. So we did a frame up restoration of the CH including a new cab and double frame reinforcement. Next we removed the wrecker body from the ford and today, we are dropping it on the CH! So far so good! We also have lots of chrome goodies on order...here are some pics from todays events and stay tuned for the finished product!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

We have been in the process of building a new wrecker! We started with a rolled over CH and an Ford wrecker with a nice hydraulic boom with under wheel lift. So we did a frame up restoration of the CH including a new cab and double frame reinforcement. Next we removed the wrecker body from the ford and today, we are dropping it on the CH! So far so good! We also have lots of chrome goodies on order...here are some pics from todays events and stay tuned for the finished product!

That will be very nice when your done Barry. I think you're going to make the old autocar jealous! Tim

Looks like it's going to be a nice truck Barry. As far as I am concerned single axle is the way to go with a wrecker, they balance much better. Hey what's up with the Autocar helping to make the lift :D

Joe

Barry,

Nice looking project.

Joe,

Single axles are nice, but I am kinda partial to multi axle hooks as seen here. I have never had the opportunity to operate this truck, but I have driven it and man, what a ride! Belongs to some friends of mine in Ligonier, IN. They are on US 6 just West of town, if you ever happen through the area on a week day, stop in and see Freddy and Dan. Freddy is off this year having surgery on both arms, but Dan will be around.

Terry

Barry,

Nice looking project.

Joe,

Single axles are nice, but I am kinda partial to multi axle hooks as seen here. I have never had the opportunity to operate this truck, but I have driven it and man, what a ride! Belongs to some friends of mine in Ligonier, IN. They are on US 6 just West of town, if you ever happen through the area on a week day, stop in and see Freddy and Dan. Freddy is off this year having surgery on both arms, but Dan will be around.

Terry

Terry,

That's a lot of truck. Bet it stops nice. What kind of suspension does it have under the back? I always liked the singles better because they balance on the center of the axle anyway. A bogie on walking beams or a mack camel back works good too if you put airbags under the back axle. I guess with a truck that long the steering axle never gets light anyway.

Joe

We have quite a few towing vehicles in our fleet. None as nice as Terry's though!

We have a tandem Superliner with a Holmes 750, and R-model Single axle with a Holmes 650, two R-Model Roll Backs (1 single axle with a knucle crane and 1 tandem), the Old Autocar tandem and a Ford 350 tilt bed. There is enough action around to keep us busy!

bmodel_logo.png

Joe,

Funny you should mention stopping. As the truck sits, it weighs 82,000#. After the mechanic finished working on the truck, he took it out for a test drive. At some point the two lift axles had been raised and he was completely unfamiliar with the operation of the truck (i.e. actual weight) as he approached the road he intended to turn onto at 55 mph he attempted to slow down...... well........ He continued on to the next road then made his turn, he got back and inquired if there was also a write-up on a braking problem. At this point I got a phone call from the service writer. "Terry, do you know that Campbells truck won't stop?" I asked about the position of the lift axles, Greg asked Rodney and came back to me, "up". Well it isn't going to stop then, that thing weights 82,000#. It was at this point that I was asked to come to the shop and take it back out for another test drive checking for a power problem and etc. The truck carries 24,000# on the steer axle alone with the axles up. I wrote an article about the truck that was in Bulldog Magazine a year or two back.

Barry,

Gotta love Superdog's with 750's too. If it ever goes up for sale, give me a ring. I have my eye on an R with a 70 about 12 miles from me, but I don't know if he will ever sell.

Below is the truck I drove before the dealership decided to "make some changes" after I got hurt at work.

Great pics Barry looks like you guys have plenty of wreckers for all types of jobs. A local tow truck company last year converted a Mack DM or DMM ??cement truck to a wrecker great old truck for the off road wrecks. when is WMSI going to restore a B model and make a wrecker out of it!!!

We are going to restore a B after this wrecker project, but it will probally be a 24 foot box to haul our products to shows in! We are going to use an old rounded nose box so it matches the era! Should be a fun project...

bmodel_logo.png

Joe,

Funny you should mention stopping. As the truck sits, it weighs 82,000#.

82,000 empty. I don't think you could even move that truck around here without a permit. I'll bet you can tow a tractor and not even know it's back there. Makes me wonder how I used to tow with my short little single axle Mack.

Nice Barry...straight stacks???...how about that old A-car?!?! :SMOKIE-LFT:

Yep, we added dual straight stacks to the E7 400...she really barks now! LOL

I'll get a photo shoot of the Autocar as soon as it quites raining here! She's in great shape for her age! Stay tuned... :SMOKIE-RT:

bmodel_logo.png

We are going to restore a B after this wrecker project, but it will probally be a 24 foot box to haul our products to shows in! We are going to use an old rounded nose box so it matches the era! Should be a fun project...

Whatever happened to the N model that Tidewater had restored with a van body for hauling parts to shows,anybody remember seeing it?