Inter Axle and Differential Lock.

I'm new to Macks. I have an '04 CX613 Vision. On my dash, I have a switch for the Inter-Axle lock. I do not see a switch identifying the differential locks. What am I not seeing? Or what am I not understanding?

Every other tandem axle truck I've owned has had both.

Mack has "automatic" power divider. Which is actually an interaxle differential. Just of a special design.

Some of them have optional "complete" lockout. That's what you see as a switch to do. Seeing no other ones means you have no axle (between the wheels) diff locks on your truck.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

A power divider is just th@

it divides the power between the 2 drive axles

:mellow:

what we call cross locks

locks the differential on each axle .... so with the Diff lock & cross locks engaged you make all 4 wheels constantly spinning

and with cross locks engaged u tend to go straight a head on corners

If U run out of traction  with no locks engaged  .... u get one wheel spinning

engage inter axle differential and you get 1 wheel spinning on each axle

engage the X locks you get all 4 wheels spinning and may be sum movement in the right direction

BIDSTBC

cya

§wishy

• Like 1

Your truck was ordered with the optional air-actuated inter-axle power divider lockout.

However, it was not ordered with the optional inter-wheel (differential) power divider (available on S38 and S44 bogies).

The Mack inter-wheel power divider, like the standard fully automatic command “wedge type” Mack inter-axle power divider, contains no gears and provides a 3-to-1 torque biasing capability to the left or right wheel with the best traction.

Page0001.jpg

Page0002.jpg

• Like 2

Hmm. Learn something new everyday. First time I've ever seen a tandem drive without both. Which kind of surprises me, considering the truck was bought for, and used solely in the Texas and Oklahoma oil fields its entire life. Its probably one of the reasons it has such aggressive drive tires on it.

I guess my next question is- does the system work like it's supposed to? I know like on old school 4wd pickups, if they didn't have a limited slip, the open differential almost always sends power to the wheel with the least resistance. Rather than to the wheel that could actually grab traction. But like in the explanation above, lightly applying the brakes should help control that.

Thank you guys for explaining this to me.