I've run across an A30H for sale that looks interesting, but I can't find much info on them.

Anybody have any basics, such as gvw (it's a single axle dump), likely motor and running gear, can parts be found for them, etc.....?

A30 would be a gasoline Magnadyne 331 5 speed with about a 19,000 GVW. 

Trim parts will be a little tricky, mechanical parts not bad and sheet metal may require a patch to be made or donor parts.  So, pretty much like finding parts for other trucks projects.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

We used an A30 for miscellaneous work on a ranching  business with locations 100 miles apart with a stock rack for 25 years from new. their GVW was a low number but they had an 18,000 timkin double reduction rear axle in single or 2 speed and a fuller 5 speed over or direct. ever thing held up very well. The breaks were not the most forceful so use caution In the hills.

I used to have a b-model single axle dump with the 401 and low gearing, and from the few comments I can find about the A30, it was just about as underpowered with the 331 as the B was with the 401.  Hydraulic brakes always make me a bit nervous, but I guess if you're only able to go 40mph, it does sort of limit the amount of trouble you can get into even if the brakes aren't the best.  And we're by the ocean, so it's pretty flat around here.

I think that my neighbor is going to have more interest in this truck than I am, but if he ends up passing, I may take it, as I've been thinking that I want to get another single axle dump to putter around in.  A local excavation contractor that has a 50s era White dump just passed away, and I'm also trying to find out what's going to happen to that.  I tried to buy it a couple years ago, but he woudn't sell, so that's when I bought the B-42, which I then traded in toward my current B-85.

I've been watching, but haven't been seeing any decent single axle Bs of any type for sale recently, never mind with a diesel and air brakes, which is what I'd really like.....

Oh, I personally don't mind going slow, but I live on a very busy road in a touristy area where people like to go fast, so it got frustrating having people blowing their horns and trying to pass in dangerous areas.

My biggest issue with the B-42 wasn't power - that thing would pull a house down - but as soon as you'd hit a grade of any type, it would start losing speed, and on a 'real' hill, I'd be in 2nd gear doing about 20 before I got to the top.  That was frustrating for both me AND the tourists!

Maybe my 401 was just a bit tired, but for my next truck, I'm hoping for something that, if it only goes 42 or 43, will be able to hold that speed, at least on mild grades, like my B-85 does.

And while I'd like a diesel for my next one, if I can find a nice classic like the A30 for the right price, I'll pull the trigger and just deal with the speed issues if that's the case again.

Unfortunately the one I was looking at yesterday online seems to be gone today, but I'm glad that I have some more info on the A series now - I think I'd buy one if another came along, because they're a great looking truck....

the en 291 331 and 401 were good engines for what they were, BUT they were overworked and asked to do more than they were designed for and were typically a 100,000 miles engine if you were luck before a rebuild. they were basically made for short hauls, city delivery trucks and small road tractors.

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Alloy Wheels all around on it? I like that.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I have a 1952 A40H also.  It's a 377 with a 5 speed.  Mine is a single axle, did not know they also came with tandems.  My diff has been changed out to a vaccumn shifted two speed.  I think it is an IHC brand.  Info from Mack Museum said top speed was 47 mph with the original Mack diff.  Probably why diff was changed.  All the wheels on mine are five or six spoke wobblers, not the nice bolt on ones.  Same color though.  Is that square plate, on the gas tank, made of brass with a Mack logo and Under Writers certificate like mine?    Mine was also ordered with the larger wheels and seating upgrade.  Nicer truck then mine, and yes they are a good looking truck.  Thanks ,  Keith

Rob - that's a nice looking truck!  Glad to see that you're still actually working it.  Maybe a 'slow moving' banner is something to consider if my next rig ends up being a slow-poke.  Like you say, at least then there's no surprises, and would let people know that when they hit a passing zone, they should take full advantage!

How does it do on hills when you've got it loaded up?

• 2 months later...

Wingman,

Would you have a contact,email address or number for Jack Boglitsch Sr.?  I saw his truck in York at the ATHS show a couple years back, incredible build.  I would like to ask Jack what he did for the Charge Air Cooler.  I have the 48 EF pictured and want to do the 24 valve swap.  I have my donor ready to go.

Thanks,

Brent

FXFYMN, The 5.9 would make a great repop motor for many old trucks,similar torque to a 673, half the weight great fuel economy! I knew a hotshot contractor in the early 90s put a 5.9 with a ten speed RR in a one ton Ford Chassis used a little electric compressor to run the range selector,Heavier chassis than the Dodge!

FXFYMN, The 5.9 would make a great repop motor for many old trucks,similar torque to a 673, half the weight great fuel economy! I knew a hotshot contractor in the early 90s put a 5.9 with a ten speed RR in a one ton Ford Chassis used a little electric compressor to run the range selector,Heavier chassis than the Dodge!

The real issue is most antique trucks are just so damn small and uncomfortable it doesn't make sense to re-power them to use as a driver. I love the A models, but I wouldn't want to drive one for several hours to a show, even if it was powered to do highway speeds and had A/C.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!